Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 MO AWD with 160k on it and the whole front end of the car seems to be shaking at speeds from ~45 - 70 mph. This has been going on for about a 8 months but seems to be getting worse now. Here are the symptoms:
-It ONLY shakes during acceleration or when I press on the gas, when I let off the gas it instantly stops and rides smooth.
-The problem used to happen about 50% of the time but now it happens about 80% of the time, some days worse than others.
-The steering wheel does not appear to shake during acceleration
-The steering wheel will shake ~75% of the time when braking from 45 - 70 mph but immediately stops shaking at speeds below 40 mph
-Sometimes the shaking is accompanied by a really fast thudding sound
-The shaking worsens if I completely let off the gas and coast then reapply the gas pedal
-The shaking appears to be worse with increasing torque (ie: going up hill)
-Sounds/feels like it is coming from the front end, the center console shakes as well as both front seats.
-The shakes can be felt regardless of what engine RPM I'm at, as long as I'm between ~ 45 - 70 mph accelerating

I had the nissan dealer look at it a while back when I was in for a tire rotation and balance. They had it for about 4 hours and couldn't find anything loose, however they eventually guessed it was the transfer case although they didn't seem 100% sure. They told me to keep on driving it as it didn't seem to be too big of a deal now, and if it worsened then it might be time to come back and get it checked out again.

-I have done a road force balance but didn't solve the issue

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Maybe really bad motor mounts? Busted ball joint or LCA bushings? Or worst the TC is going along with the CVT eventually. Any accelerations issues? Are you feeling any hesitation when cruising and then stepping on the gas? Any grinding sound? How often do you press on your AWD Lock button? Is it actual shaking or more of a vibration? If the engine and tranny accelerates without issue then probably the TC is going. But if you are getting hesitations on acceleration with the shaking then maybe the CVT is also a problem.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Are we becoming victims of trolling? There seem to be a lot of 1 post wonders around here lately.

If this problem is legit, I'd have the motor mounts checked. Also check your front brake disks. If you brake and you're feeling vibes then your disks are warped or have brake pad material making slick spots on the disks. Get your disks turned and see what happens. Pulsating while braking will go away. If it slowly comes back, replace the rotors.

I'd also suggest you have your cylinders scoped out because you may be misfiring. The radiator side bank will be easier to get to but the firewall bank will be a pain.

Other members have also had issues with their rear wheel drive line. There is some kind of retainer system that holds the 2 parts of the drive line in place while moving. If it becomes loose, then you'll feel vibrations all over the place.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe really bad motor mounts? Busted ball joint or LCA bushings? Or worst the TC is going along with the CVT eventually. Any accelerations issues? Are you feeling any hesitation when cruising and then stepping on the gas? Any grinding sound? How often do you press on your AWD Lock button? Is it actual shaking or more of a vibration? If the engine and tranny accelerates without issue then probably the TC is going. But if you are getting hesitations on acceleration with the shaking then maybe the CVT is also a problem.
There are no acceleration issues or hesitations in terms of actual engine performance. No grinding sounds. I don't think I've ever pressed the AWD Lock button. Occasionally its a vibration, but mostly a shaking, (I would say 75-80% shaking). When Nissan checked out my car they said the motor mounts looked good. I hope its not the TC, Nissan quoted me $2500 for parts/labor on the TC...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think the steering wheel shake when braking (at speeds > 45 mph) and front end shake during acceleration are from the same culprit? Also, would warped rotors cause steering wheel vibes when braking 100% of the time? I don't understand why my problem is intermittent...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possible Hub Problem

You may have this resolved by now, but we had a similar problem with our 05 Murano and it was the Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly. It got progressively louder on one trip and we had Nissian replace them. Only problem for us is we had to have them replaced again in less than 12 months. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone figure out what was the cause of the problem cause my mother has a '05 Murano and her does the same thing and the dealership does not know the cause

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are no acceleration issues or hesitations in terms of actual engine performance. No grinding sounds. I don't think I've ever pressed the AWD Lock button. Occasionally its a vibration, but mostly a shaking, (I would say 75-80% shaking). When Nissan checked out my car they said the motor mounts looked good. I hope its not the TC, Nissan quoted me $2500 for parts/labor on the TC...
I had same problem. Nissan tried to tell me it was TC, changed it 1700.00 and problem is still there. Then they said oops its rear diff, 1100.00 and problem srill there. They said oops must have put a bad diff. Pay labor and they would replace. Did it again. They said oops dont know what to say. Took car home and changed my brakes wewk later and just happened to notice axle boot was spitting grease. Bought new axle for 100.00 . Did job myself cause Nissan took it all. Problem fixed. Insane. Went on for one year. Oops wont go to Nissan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed the problem with new axles

Well I was able to fix the problem quite a while back but forgot to post the outcome. It was the front axles, replaced them both and it rides as if it was on rails now, no shaking at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same problem. Nissan tried to tell me it was TC, changed it 1700.00 and problem is still there. Then they said oops its rear diff, 1100.00 and problem srill there. They said oops must have put a bad diff. Pay labor and they would replace. Did it again. They said oops dont know what to say. Took car home and changed my brakes wewk later and just happened to notice axle boot was spitting grease. Bought new axle for 100.00 . Did job myself cause Nissan took it all. Problem fixed. Insane. Went on for one year. Oops wont go to Nissan
Is it the CV axle you changed? Having the same problem but i already changed the CV axle. recently changed the transmission mount and rack and pinion. Problem still persist though it has reduced

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing and is more of a vibration, never use the AWD button. It never hesitates with anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Might be the same issue but my girlfriends 06 Murano started shaking recently, but it only happens when you are cruising at speeds between 40 and 50 mph doesn't do it at speeds lower or higher, or when accelerating or braking, the only issue I know of for sure is it does have what sounds like an exhaust leak when accelerating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts