Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found any struts/shocks for the MO yet? At 49K they are gone and now really bugging me. It's my wife's car and I only drive it occasionally, but they have to go. OEM are about as expensive as Konis for my Porsche, plus they aren't nearly as good. The few shock e-sellers I've tried don't have anything. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your definition of gone is likely different than mine. They function, just not well. Most OEM shocks do not function as well as when new in as little as 15-20K miles. I also live in a place where the roads consist largely of either pothole or patch. I also have raced and have done track instruction since 1989, so my senstivity to what the suspension and tires are doing is pretty high.
BTW I finally found KYBs at Importrp.com for a reasonable price. KYB is the OEM.

·
5,244 Posts
So how good the KYB GR-2 Gas Shocks and Struts are? Better than OEM?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I think they ARE the OEM units.

KYB is the OEM shock and strut guys for a lot of japanese cars, both those made in Japan and those made in the US.
I thot everybody knew that.

But most of us, have not replaced our Struts and shocks.
Topaz is right.
The KYBs at 49K are not as good as new KYBs.
KYBs slowly go away and are not worth rebuilding.
He's going to find that with his replacements too.
In 20K miles they will have lost their edge, too.
$40 shocks are not exactly equivalent to Porsche performance hardware.......

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
I have almost 52K and getting a feeling that the car feels “softer”. I have no idea if it has something to do with suspension or me getting used to stiffer ride. The car does lean while driving around the corners, but it would have much more to do with springs than shock absorbers. Going over bumps – hm, I think it settles OK. Yes, it could be improved but did it changed from when it was new? Really hard to say. The changes are gradual so unless one can drive back to back cars with perfect and not so perfect shocks it really is difficult to say.

Anyway, good to know that we can get shock absorbers at a reasonable price….

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shocks gone.

It bugs me too that they are soft. The car with the Toyo Proxes wants to handle more like a sports car, but body lean and soft shocks inhibit it.
You can get a lowering kit thru Tire Rack online and replace shocks with KYB's. Would cost about a $1000.00. :3:
Our 03 SE AWD started to get soft after 10K. :(
I am spoiled by the still-taught handling of our 03 Civic Si after 55K. :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hfelknor said:
I think they ARE the OEM units.

KYB is the OEM shock and strut guys for a lot of japanese cars, both those made in Japan and those made in the US.
I thot everybody knew that.

But most of us, have not replaced our Struts and shocks.
Topaz is right.
The KYBs at 49K are not as good as new KYBs.
KYBs slowly go away and are not worth rebuilding.
He's going to find that with his replacements too.
In 20K miles they will have lost their edge, too.
$40 shocks are not exactly equivalent to Porsche performance hardware.......

Homer
Rarely are OEM shocks (even if made by the same OEM supplier) identical to replacement versions. I would imagine the GR2's available as aftermarket replacements are probably stiffer than the stock shocks - I do agree with Homer that the stockers are probably made by KYB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts