Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

Firstly, a big thank you to this community. I'm in the process of buying a used 2012 Murano (138,000 km) and the information I've found on this website has been invaluable.

I was due to buy the vehicle tomorrow but after a pre-purchase inspection today, the mechanic has flagged a 'brownish gold' oil 'dampness' under the body/driveline. I've attached his pics.

I know it's very hard to diagnose but is this something that is common and if so, is it cause for concern? I don't want to buy the car if I have a big job on my hands in the next few months.

I'm at a bit of a crossroad so any support/advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Lee

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Umm... don't buy it, find a car that isn't leaking oil, just a thought, unless you can find a better/favourable diagnosis than presently offered by the mechanic.
Strange that the mechanic couldn't be of more help, unless there is more that you haven't posted.
Maybe, if you hadn't, an inspection by one of the Automobile Associations, eg. South Australias' RAA (by your flag and handle, I'm assuming you're from Oz or NZ). Even if you aren't a member, It maybe the A. Association of your state will do it at non-member price, I think the S.A. RAA does.
My oil leak cost me $AU5,000, after a new Transfer Case, and after that experience I hope I stay with my conviction to never buy another modern money pit car unless I know what things like your example will have in-store for me!
Any grinding, whining, whirring noises while driving. Does the car accelerate smoothly?
Did your mechanic scan the car for ODB DTC codes, you should have that done?
Check the state and fill level of the gearbox oil. Do you think the vehicle has been used for towing (if it has I wouldn't buy it)?
'brownish gold', sounds like engine oil, but is it?? I can't think where of the vehicle your pics show, haven't been under my vehicle often enough.
Just my 5 cents worth.
I hope one of the experienced people of this forum pick up your thread.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Afternoon all,

Firstly, a big thank you to this community. I'm in the process of buying a used 2012 Murano (138,000 km) and the information I've found on this website has been invaluable.

I was due to buy the vehicle tomorrow but after a pre-purchase inspection today, the mechanic has flagged a 'brownish gold' oil 'dampness' under the body/driveline. I've attached his pics.

I know it's very hard to diagnose but is this something that is common and if so, is it cause for concern? I don't want to buy the car if I have a big job on my hands in the next few months.

I'm at a bit of a crossroad so any support/advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Lee
That leak is where the transmission and transfer case mate so one or the other (or both) is leaking. Since you don't own the car yet, walk away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks legends, I think this is the advice I needed to hear.

I have read that Nissan extended the warrant on their CVTs to 10 years after a few lawsuits - does anyone know if that extended to Australia and this fix would be covered as part of that? I'll give a Nissan dealer a call today but was hoping someone might have some more hands-on experience with it.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I do not know, I assumed they have not extended the warranty. My car is a 2nd hand 2010 so I didn't bother to find out about warranty, post here your findings if you will thanks, I'd like to know.
We in Oz rarely pressure car makers to do the better thing, nor does the government unless it is a safety issue, it seems to me.
Covid has pushed the price of used cars (especially SUVs/cross-overs) through the roof, so now we are paying way more for a used car than it would have cost 18 months ago. My opinion is that a used Mo with an oil leak where it is is a run away with your dollars deal. With the high price of 2nd hand cars, I would be looking for a better car than this one sounds.
Where-abouts are you, I reside in the Adelaide Hills, and the prices of good cars are appalling.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The warranty extensions arose out of class action litigation in the U.S. so not sure if they would apply to vehicles in other markets, but regardless, they were only applicable to the 2003-2010 model years.

Again, walk away!

All Nissan Vehicle Warranties | Nissan USA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers team, will be running away.

I called a Nissan dealership and no knowledge of the extended warranty so yup, seems to be only in the US (from research, there are many lawsuits over there) For anyone interested, there's some more information here.

@ValiantCM - I did notice the second hand prices are high! Good to hear that it's an actual trend, not me just being in tight! I'm in Sydney so I just assume everything is expensive...

Thanks again team, really helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts