Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I installed my Hidden Hitch & Nissan wiring harness, I modified the harness plug to a 6-pin to have a hot lead to trickle charge my trailer's battery set up.

Here's last weekend's specs on my first towing expedition:
1981 Starcraft Tent trailer 2,900lbs loaded, tounge weight 235lbs.
Average speed: 61mph, Average MPG: 18.2, Distance 430 miles round trip.

The ride was a bit weird with the CVT, but I had no problem holding a steady speed up/down hills on the journey from Orange County, CA to Pismo Beach, CA. The ride was a bit jerky at times and you could feel the back end moving with the bounce of the single axle trailer. All in all a great trip with no problems. I was happy with the braking ability and now have confidence in this versitile machine.:1:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I never towed with less than 10% tongue weight.
Reduces the bounce.

Does your tent trailer have surge brakes?
I like them for trailers over 1500 pounds.

You got pretty darn good mPGs.

Homer

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I brought home my son from college I rented and U-Haul trailer 6x8' and it was loaded with about 1500lbs of STUFF... Got 20.5 mpg. Without tongue weight, the reciever slaps around and makes a whole bunch of unwanted sounds. Not recommended. Hardly knew the trailer was behind me except for those quick looks in the rear view and wondering who is following me so close... then come to realize it's the trailer... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tounge Weight

The tounge weight was plenty, the overall weight of the trailer just muscles around the tail a bit....kind of a lurching feeling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trailer Brakes

NO, I wish my trailer brakes worked, I was a bit stressed out about not having them, but everything worked out okay.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Towing with the CVT is great...towed my boat yesterday against strong headwinds...with a normal geared transmission, the torque convertor would be continually locking /unlocking, and the trans would be downshifting out of overdrive looking for the extra power to deal with the wind.... the CVT seamlessly finds the right "gear"...you can't feel a thing...the tach going up and down is the only thing you notice....I really enjoy the CVT.

·
Registered
842 Posts
luckylu said:
Well I installed my Hidden Hitch & Nissan wiring harness, I modified the harness plug to a 6-pin to have a hot lead to trickle charge my trailer's battery set up.

Here's last weekend's specs on my first towing expedition:
1981 Starcraft Tent trailer 2,900lbs loaded, tounge weight 235lbs.
Average speed: 61mph, Average MPG: 18.2, Distance 430 miles round trip.

The ride was a bit weird with the CVT, but I had no problem holding a steady speed up/down hills on the journey from Orange County, CA to Pismo Beach, CA. The ride was a bit jerky at times and you could feel the back end moving with the bounce of the single axle trailer. All in all a great trip with no problems. I was happy with the braking ability and now have confidence in this versitile machine.:1:
Do you use a equalizer hitch while towing your trailer?. I just came back from my holidays towing my 1993 Coleman tent trailer which weighs in at 700 Kgs ( 1500 lbs). Which through Rogers pass on the way to the coast. Started the trip at 1300meters above sea level and climbed up to 2100 meters. While the 6-8% grades were a challenge, my Mo handled it quite well and passed with authority when required. Something that I could not do in my old caravan.

However I did find that my fuel economy was effected by the fuel I used. On the way out to B.C I filled up with premuim and got 11.4liters /100 km going up and down the mountains. On the way back doing the same trip but with midgrade ( Shell silver) my fuel economy was 12.4 liters/ 100 Km. So it would seem to me that when towing a trailer you require premuim fule to power up the mountain passes.:roadtrip: :roadtrip:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts