Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already test drove the Murano but while researching other vehicles...I noticed the MDX looks pretty sweet too.

The MDX with Nav (and a huge list of standards including backup camera) has an invoice of 37,000 and the Murano with all the bells and whistles is around 35,000.

So with these two vehicles being in the same price category...How come there aren't more comparisons between the two on this board?

How do they compare?

·
5,244 Posts
You simply cannot compare them.........one is a boxy SUV, another one................A SPACE SHIP!..........I would never consider a SUV...........that's why I went with Murano........

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
They simply are not comparable as Kris says.

One (MDX) is a truck. A very nice truck, but a truck nonetheless.
The other (Murano) is a crossover. That is, looks like a (swoopy) SUV, but is built on a car "frame" (Altima).

However, I have no problem compariing the two either, since when I go out to buy a vehicle, I don't limit myself to thinking totally within the box.
Sometimes (Most?) I am just looking for a "neat" vehicle.

Both match that criteria.
With the Murano being just a bit "neater" don't you think?

Homer

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'd say the MDX is a mini van, as it's based on the Honda odyssey.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Price diff is probably bigger

I was down to the Murano, Highlander, and MDX. One of the reasons I chose the Murano over the MDX was price. I got my Murano for about invoice, but the Acura dealer I was working with would not go much under sticker for the MDX, so I seem to recall I got my loaded Murano for about 5k less than the MDX base model, which lacked some of the nice features that the loaded Murano has (in-dash 6-disk changer springs to mind). I think it was closer to 10k if you compare the loaded Murano to the loaded MDX.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The MDX is NOT A TRUCK. Have you ever driven one? It drives like a sedan, I have one. It's a beautiful SUV and I would choose the MDX over the Murano any day of the week. But, I can say that, because I have both! :2: If you are seriously considering the MDX, wait till the end of this year when 2004s will be heavily discounted and the new remodeled 2005 will come out.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Murano_MDX said:
The MDX is NOT A TRUCK. Have you ever driven one? It drives like a sedan, I have one. It's a beautiful truck and I would choose the MDX over the Murano any day of the week.
I'm sorry, I just HAD to point this out..... :rolleyes:

~ Corin

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I looked at the MDX and the MO.... the MDX is very nice. More luxurious than the MO my wife liked it better. I liked the MO's looks better and the crossover side of it instead of an SUV approach. At the time (perhaps also now too) it only came with leather and I don't care much for leather. I also didn't like the controls (or lack of) for the environmental stuff. I like to see what is going on and have ability to over ride it as necessary. The MO's dual climate control is a great feature my wife and I. (I'm getting all excited just talking about the MO.)

The big thing that really annoyed me was that huge space for the NAV system. If you didn't have NAV (which I was not going to get it) you had this huge LCD screen which had the largest display on it being MPG.... what is with that? Off all cars why would you want to emphasize MPG? :werd:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I started this thread...
I guess I was looking for open opinions on the 2 vehicles regardless of what class you consider them to be in Eg. SUV/Crossover

Such as...
Handling
Interior comfort
Power
Interior controls

I know some people like the look of the Murano (which I do), but I also like the look of the MDX.
I mean if you compare them side by side their size dimensions are not that far off from one another. The MDX is a couple inches higher and like 3 inches longer.

We really aren't comparing apples and oranges like someone suggested.

Now I guess the question would be why you chose the Murano over the MDX. Does the MDX beat out the Mo in any particular areas in your minds?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I looked at both.

The MDX had a slight edge for available features (i.e., rear back up sensors/camera, side cladding, adjustable roof crossbars)

Advantage: MDX.

But then again, the MDX should have more given its higher price point. When compared available feature for feature, the Mo was more economical.

Advantage: Mo.

Ride-wise, the MDX handled very much like a large family sedan. The Mo SE was more stiff with better handling.

The Mo also had manumatic - something I wanted (actually, I wanted a full on manual, but there's no such animal available for either vehicle

Advangate: Mo (but barely)

Interior space/comfort - well, the Mo simply had more. A lot had to do with more generous use of spacing for rear seat passengers with only one row of rear seats, not two. And the seats were firmer and more supportive (granted, this was a subjective judgement call).

Power - both scooted along nicely. The Mo seemed to have a bit more growl though (I like that).

Advantage: Tie.

Interior controls - the Mo's seemed better laid out and less cluttered, but its all a matter of what you're used to and I'm sure I could have gotten used to the MDX or MO either way.

Advantage: Tie.

Given the score card for my personal tastes and preferences, the Mo won out by a score of four to one (ties weren't counted).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim C!!!

Now that's the kind of review I was looking for!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Nice work.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
203 Posts
There was no way on earth I was going into another Acura. I actually traded in my TLS typeS for the Murano. After less than 3 years, I had the following done. Entire car was repainted due to defective paint, Door actuator went south, Cruise control went south and required changing of the entire throttle body, 4, yes that is no typo, 4 transmissions. The MDX has the same tranny so it was not an option for me. All of this work never cost me a dime since it was under warranty but the trannies are pure junk. Do yourself a favor and type in "honda transmission problems" using google. A close friend of mine had the same transmission issues on a Honda odyssey. So what do I go out and do? I go out and buy a Murano with a new unproven high tech CVT. :D

This is the best part. I get home from work and was all excited because at 5:30 I was going to pick up my MO. I live about 3 miles from the Nissan dealership which was taking the trade-in of my Acura. Tranny #3 blew on my way there and I limped into the Nissan dealership. :eek:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow Snowride - so much for Honda reliability!!

Ironbear - glad to help. But you really need to check out each vehicles (MDX and MO) personally. It took me about four months of shopping to reach my conclusions having looked at just about every mid-size SUV/crossover/large passenger car in that class/price range. Many of my comparo's determinations came down to personal preference. For example, a LOT of people prefer a third row seat. For me, more cargo space, more room in the single row rear seat and concerns about rearmost seat crash protection convinced me that a third row seat wasn't worth it. Others probably feel differently.

Price also played a large role for me. Due to the work I do, I was able to get VPP on the Nissan, so I paid invoice for my special order, fully loaded (everything but chrome wheels or satellite radio) SE. Because of some other work I do, I could have gotten a Subaru for below invoice as well - but decided I liked the Mo's features better than the Outback. Again, nothing beats checking out the vehicles. Good luck and glad to help out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
By the way, Honda knows very well about the problem and I recieved an extended warranty from Honda which covered the tranny for 5 years or 120,000 kms before I had any problems. The mechanic who did mine also personally owned the same vehicle and his was also changed. They are now aces at changing trannies with all the practice they get. Bring it in in the morning and pick it up at noon. I was surpized to find out they literally had dozens of trannies waiting at the Honda depot for installation. Never a question of back order. I quess Honda thought it cheaper to warranty them IF they go bad than to recall all of them. Only BIG problem I see is what do you do after 120,000 km. I'm sure they don't give them away.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Snow, the MDX transmission is also known as junk.
And yes, the Odyysey too.
At least on the early ones. up to 02.
I don't know about the 03s. Maybe they fixed it. Maybe not.
But before that, the MDX was known as a transmission pig.
MDX owners never tell you that.
But the vehicle sure rides good. A little ponderous compared to a MO, but what isn't?

I have never figured out why a Honda can get away with this, and a Toyota can get away with many failed engines (Search on Sludge) and very poor customer relations on whether these engines are covered under warranty, but let Ford or GM have a bad engine/tranny and the press is all over it.

For that matter, 99 thru 02 Mazda Miatas were dropping motors left and right (I had a new 99), and that never got out as common knowledge either.........

Hmmnnnn. Seems to be a pattern here.:rolleyes:

Homer

·
Registered
160 Posts
01 and 02, yes have been going kaput.... but 03 and onwards are perfectly fine... they acknowledge the problem and are willing to fix it...

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Murano_MDX said:
01 and 02, yes have been going kaput.... but 03 and onwards are perfectly fine... they acknowledge the problem and are willing to fix it... so how about you shove it... :mad:
Wow, sounds like a nerve was hit, huh? :)

That's actually a big difference. For one, I don't want my car to spend any time in the shop rather than me driving it. But if it IS going to be in the shop to have something done (whether a rattle, alternator, whatever) I would certainly prefer having the manufacturer and dealer own up to it immediately, admit that they have had a few problems with this kind of thing previously, and have the parts and know-how on hand to fix it relatively quick with good workmanship and let me be on my way.

Whenever I've taken my Hondas in to be worked on, they have always been able to diagnose the problem properly and get it fixed in a reasonable amount of time. I am slightly concerned about my first Nissan purchase (2005 MO when it finally comes out) considering some of the problems that people on this forum have had when dealing with the Nissan service centers. Not concerned enough to not purchase the car, but still concerned. This will be the most expensive car that I have ever purchased (by about $25,000) and I really don't feel like putting up with crap from the technicians that know less about the car than I do...

~ Corin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts