Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Murano SE last week after test driving the three vehicles and researching various ratings and crash test results on the internet. I'll save the long story on why I was only interested on those three SUVs.

I have to say that the Explorer had the best ride of the three, with the Murano coming in second. I believe that Fords new rear independent suspension helped in this regard. The 4Runner still seems to ride like a deluxe pickup.

Of the three, I was leaning toward the 4Runner as far as looks and the functional boxy rear cabin. It was real close.

I ended up with the Murano primarily because of the standard side curtain airbags (a $600-800 option for the other vehicles), the superior gas mileage, the wider carriage (distance between the left and right wheels), and handling and maneuverability. The crash test results were also factored into my decision. I've been very happy with the MO so far! By the way, the Ford almost never had a chance because I have "quality control" concerns with American car brands. My friends with Fords say the repair bills really start adding up after three years.

·
Registered
758 Posts
HwnMurano

I thought the standard curtain airbags were great too. They were extra on my last vehicle. Now if Nissan could just go the whole safety route and make VDC standard.

·
4,664 Posts
That's interesting about the Explorer's ride. I found I liked the Murano's ride much better than the rental Explorer I was in that had about 500 miles on it, a few weeks back.

Maybe it's an SL/SE thing? I have the SL, because I found the SE's ride too harsh. I also suspect the SE still had 50 lbs tire pressure, because it was in November 2003 that I drove it, so they probably hadn't clued in to the shipping pressure yet.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I concure with Jaak...

That's interesting about the Explorer's ride. I found I liked the Murano's ride much better than the rental Explorer I was in that had about 500 miles on it, a few weeks back.
I had explorer from the rental car place about a month ago when i was meeting a client. I admit that while ford has done a pretty good job in the explorer, it is still not as attractive and comfortbale as murano. this is my personal opinion.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that I tested an Explorer Eddie Bauer which may have had a better suspension than the XLS and XLT models. That might be the reason for the surprisingly good ride in the one that I tested.

I tested the 2004 SE and the SL, before buying the SE. I have to admit that the difference between the two was subtle as far as ride and suspension. I went for the sportier ride; heck, I've been driving around in "cushy" Maximas and Accrords for nearly 25 years. I don't mind the SE's stiffer suspension.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That's the problem with the rental car comparison.

Most rental cars are just mules.
Most are not at all equipped as I would buy them.

And also most rental cars are beat.

And none were broke in properly.

And very few rental fleets even have Hondas and Nissans.
Ever wonder about that?

Homer

·
Registered
42 Posts
HwnMurano said:
By the way, the Ford almost never had a chance because I have "quality control" concerns with American car brands. My friends with Fords say the repair bills really start adding up after three years.
That about says it all for me!! That is why all american brands were off my list...but then agagin, I'm a Nissan enthusiast, so my list was pretty short! Also the interior lacks on sooo many american makes, their second biggest downfall. Besides an Explorer is more dangerous on the road than the MO IMHO.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Ah! I see. If they just hadn't been driving an American car!
Now tell us how if it had been a Muarno no one would have been killed.
In fact several would been born.........

Sheese.

Homer

·
Registered
42 Posts
hfelknor said:
Ah! I see. If they just hadn't been driving an American car!
Now tell us how if it had been a Muarno no one would have been killed.
In fact several would been born.........

Sheese.

Homer
Actually I can't say this accident wouldn't have resulting in deaths if it had been the MO....but what I can say is that the MO has a lower center of gravity for an SUV than other SUVs, so to compare them, yes in the case of a blow out, the MO is less likely to roll. That is why I don't care for SUVs bc of that reason. No vehicle should roll from a blow out and if they do so easily, they shouldn't be made in the first place. The whole Firestone/Ford thing has really been an issue for me, 1. for it being an SUV and 2. Ford really let me down as far as how they handled it. IF the faulty firestone tires had been on cars instead of an SUV, roll overs would have never had happened, less to no deaths would have occured. Period.

Also, perhaps the chances of a car landing on it's roof after clipping another car is much more less likely than this explorer. So yes, I say SUVs are more dangerous....ESPECIALLY when uneducated (as far a driving and vehicles are concerned) women go an rent one just for the passanger room. They stupidly mistake the ease of driving them for a van!!! They shouldn't be rentals. People unfortunetly buy/rent SUVs for passenger room (many of them woman) and have no clue as to how they ride and how they should be driven. They are a different kind of vehicle with a different center of gravity and no one seems to take that into account when buying one.

That's all...have a nice evening.

·
Registered
145 Posts
NICOLE............

They stupidly mistake the ease of driving them for a van!!!
:29:

I couldn't agree with U more. I can't tell you how often I see these
"soccer moms" driving there kids to school (when i'm dropping my kids off) in these BEHEMOTHS, only to see them climbing sidewalks, bumping into other cars comming out of a parking spot, almost hitting and damn near running over each other and other kids. WHEW!!
They or anyone don't belong in these Expeditions, Navigators, Sequioas, and Landcruisers if they don't know how to drive these things, period.
SUVS are dangerous in the wrong hands.:awais:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
now now gentlemen... i did not imply that because they are driving explorer...

makes them more vurnerable to accident because the car is not well designed. I did not say this.

It all comes back to the drivers' attitude and apptitude in handling the car. Turns out that the bigger the suvs, the more overconfiddent those soccer moms on their ability to defy the law of physics :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts