1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same decision to make when I bought my Mo, but it was between a brand new Mo vs. a used FX35, obviously I went with the Mo. But if I had the extra cash and went purely on what I wanted it would have been a brand new FX, everytime I see one I still want one. The Mo is a close second and nothing else is even close IMO.

My .02

·
5,244 Posts
Nizmo,
I said it before and will say it again – they are different cars….
To answer your question – I am glad I do not have to choose as I am not sure what I would do. Every time I drive FX my face smiles! The feeling and handling is unbelievable. And performance as well. And I have only FX35. Then when I go back to Murano – I smile again! Go figure which one to choose……

I think it would boil down to:
Budget – how much are you willing to spend.
Functionality – Murano is really a family car. FX is not. It is a fun car.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nizmo-

It's not a fair comparison. The FX is in a whole different class ($$$). A Murano S FWD starts out at $28,205. The FX 35 RWD costs $38,450. Over 10 grand more!!

The MO provides more value for the dollar. The FX, being about a third more expensive than the MO, is better equipped and is supported by a better sales and support organization.

What would I choose if I were to pick again? If I had $30,000 in my pocket I would definitely buy the MO again. If I had $40,000 in my pocket I definitely would not buy an FX 35.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe said:

What would I choose if I were to pick again? If I had $30,000 in my pocket I would definitely buy the MO again. If I had $40,000 in my pocket I definitely would not buy an FX 35.

-njjoe
WHY?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris said:
The look of the FX35 just doesn't do anything for me.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Understood............I am split between two of them. "Practical" Kris leans towards Murano, the more "fun" one goes for the FX.....though really I would like to have something like Boxter, Z3, or a similar car. Actually a car that does drive. I am thinking more and more about getting a toy car I could play with, and spend time in the garage!

·
Read Only
554 Posts
I faced the same choice. Went for the Murano hands down. Why? Price was an issue, but it was a lot more than that. Because I wanted the functionality and room AND because stylistically, the Murano is better looking (IMHO). The FX is a sweet vehicle and a great performer, but the interior was too small for me and simply not as versatile as the Murano.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i personally wouldn't go with neither the MO or the FX mainly because the quality just isn't there and the service is crappy but i'd have to go with the murano becuase there isn't a better looking suv available from toyota or lexus for the price of the MO. fx is just a bit too small and pricey

·
Read Only
554 Posts
i personally wouldn't go with neither the MO or the FX mainly because the quality just isn't there and the service is crappy
Wow! That's pretty harsh. Are there other Nissan vehicles you feel are more up to snuff? Kind of makes me wonder how you came to pick your moniker.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
don't get me wrong, i love our murano, but there is still some money to be spent to make it better and still some squeeks and rattles to be fixed which the dealer seems unable to do(that's where the lack of service comes in)correct me if i'm wrong but i belive the the murano and the z are the only two vehicles that are made in japan(other than all the Infiniti models other than the QX56) and compared with other japanese cars, nissan is still lacking in the fit and finish and quality department. but they do make gorgeous cars and the reliability is excellent. on the other hand, toyota and lexus have excellent reliability and build quality but do make boring cars. if the cargo volume and rear seat room was better in the fx, we'd maybe get that but then you still have to visit the only dealer in town that services infiniti's AND nissans.

so there are plus' and minus' to every car manufacturer. we've owned 2 murano's in the last 3 years and have been quite happy with but, but these small irritations add up and paying 40-50 thousand dollars canadian dosn't credit having all these squeeks and rattles and a service center that can't fix these minor things right the first time.

with that being said, our current murano will be around for quite some time i think.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I would go with a MO. Sort of due to the reasoning above. For the money the MO is great. But if I got an FX and spent $10K+ more than a MO,and had the issues and service problems I would be real pissed. With the MO, it's sort of assumed with Nissan.

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Nissanlove - thanks for the clarification. I have an atrocious memory, so I couldn't recall if you had particular problems. Frankly, I agree the Murano seems to have had more than its fair share of problems, but then again, I've also had some first hand experience as a (former) contractor for Mercedes. Talk about problems with an SUV! When people ask me about buying an M-Class, my response is universally to run away screaming!

As for the Murano, I don't know if this helps your opinion or not, but I am told by Nissan engineers in the U.S. that the assembly process in Japan for the Murano has undergone some significant improvements. I'm told fit and finish are substantially improved for the 2006 models with additional interior insulation and stricter quality control review. I realize that doesn't directly help you or me (2004 model myself), but I guess it helps to know that Nissan is improving the Japanese assembly process.

Hopefully, Nissan gets the hint and improvements occur across all the carlines. Time will tell with Ghosn now focused on Renault and the North American crew distracted with the move from Gardenia to Nashville.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
If I had the dough, and I had the choice of an FX35 or a Mo--no doubt about it, Mo would win due to the reasons above.

Now if it was a toss up between the FX45 and the Mo, there is no doubt, the 45 would be in my driveway now.
now THAT would DRIVE.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
goshn has done an excellent job bringing the style back to nissan, now he has to get his hands on some audi's(audi is regarded as the benchmark in fit and finish and quality-not so for reliability though haha) and get the nissan products up to par. i'm glad to hear that the 06's have gotten significant under the skin improvements to increase cabin enjoyment so i guess they are headed on the right track. after the quality is addressed they gotta get those darn service advisors and techs in how not to be dumb school.

·
Registered
78 Posts
depends what you want

I drove both when looking around. The front seats of the FX were great. But I have 2 near teen age kids, and the back seat of the Murano is noticeably bigger. The boss also drives ours most of the the time. She was coming from a smooth riding (but fast ) car. The Murano SL ride is smoother than the FX. The Murano also doesn't handle quite the same either.

Neither is better, just different. Depends what you want. I had to keep Mama and the kids happy. I'm happy with the Mo too!

Chuck

·
Registered
46 Posts
As I have posted in the past, our Murano purchase was the result of a compromise between the wife and I. (She wanted the Lexus RX330 and I wanted an FX.) The Murano is a nice car that we have no regrets in purchasing.

(Sidenote: If I had to do it again, I would save a little more and get the Lexus RX400h. ;) )

·
Registered
80 Posts
Having owned an Infiniti (05 G35 Coupe) I would buy the Murano.

Sorry but Infiniti dealers and many of the owners are pretentious bastards. The dealers I have encountered only seemed interested in how they could extract more money from me.

Service on my G35 was a joke. The 15k service the dealer told me I needed would have cost more than all the service costs I had done on my Miata (over 50k in miles)!

when I questioned him about items on his list not appearing anywhere in my warranty/service manuals they tried to BS me.

This told me all I needed to know. They rely on customers being ignorant. When that doesn't work they try to embarrass the customer into subtely. Basically it goes like this, "of course all owners of these cars get this done, after all "they" can afford it.

Essentially they try to work you into believing that to maintain status you have to be like the other guys. They don't come out and say it they just hint at it.

As far as build quality, the G35's interior sucks. An Infiniti is just an upgraded Nissan. With the G35c it was just an expensive Nissan that had worse fit. Examples, more squeaks and rattles than any previous car I have owned. The steering wheen controls did not line up and left a sharp edge projecting at the bottom - WHICH THE DEALER TOLD ME IS NOT A VALID ISSUE!!!!

Needless to say I ditched that car this March and got a Murano. I briefly looked at FXs. Look, if it cost over 30k it damn well better be worth it. Nissan/Infiniti is no where near the level of Lexus/Toyota. I could not justify the FX simply because the Infiniti experience isn't worth the price. If I have problems with my Nissan it is far easier to pass over them or accept them as I don't feel as if I bought a premium brand.

Too bad with Infiniti they don't care about the little things. Even after writing a letter to corporate I got the distinct impression that your not supposed to complain about the little issues with you car and if you do they will just ignore you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I love the look of the FX from every angle accept straight on. I hate the lights & the huge grill. Looks like Clifford the Big Red Dog. IMHO.

I've tried checking - but can never find it - does the FX also have a CVT? I'm so impressed w/ Mo's so far (performance, fuel economy, no "shifts", etc) I would find it uber hard to go back to a regular auto...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts