Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't usually do this crap and yes I know better, but I couldn't pass on a blue STi!!!

No, I didn't kill him.....but no he didn't kill me, that is for sure. I was behind him on a on-ramp that was one lane, then two lanes than merges to one. Well, he had kinda cut me off get on, so when we approached the two lanes I put the selector in sport shift (raises the revs, kinda like a downshift), moved over the right lane and punched it. Well, he did the same.....to my surprise I stayed right at a car length of his rear bumper. Remember, the STi is a 300HP, 300 torque car! As we approached rush hour traffic he didn't back off, I knew he wanted to show me he could out brake me (which obviously he should and could easily).....but he didn't, and I proceded to fly by him. Fully as hell:

4000 lbs+ Murano out brakes a Rally inspired, brembo sporting beast.

As I passed him and his passenger I looked over, waved and saw the kid was probably 20-22. Obviously he couldn't drive it like it could be driven, he should have handed me my ass.

Just goes to show 90% of driving is the driver. My autoX experience certainly didn't hurt either!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I shouldn't do this either but.:2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
jpalm said:
Don't usually do this crap and yes I know better, but I couldn't pass on a blue STi!!!

No, I didn't kill him.....but no he didn't kill me, that is for sure. I was behind him on a on-ramp that was one lane, then two lanes than merges to one. Well, he had kinda cut me off get on, so when we approached the two lanes I put the selector in sport shift (raises the revs, kinda like a downshift), moved over the right lane and punched it. Well, he did the same.....to my surprise I stayed right at a car length of his rear bumper. Remember, the STi is a 300HP, 300 torque car! As we approached rush hour traffic he didn't back off, I knew he wanted to show me he could out brake me (which obviously he should and could easily).....but he didn't, and I proceded to fly by him. Fully as hell:

4000 lbs+ Murano out brakes a Rally inspired, brembo sporting beast.

As I passed him and his passenger I looked over, waved and saw the kid was probably 20-22. Obviously he couldn't drive it like it could be driven, he should have handed me my ass.

Just goes to show 90% of driving is the driver. My autoX experience certainly didn't hurt either!
haha jpalm nice work. Racing people in the murano AND teh spec! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, because I do race SCCA Solo II I SHOULD know better. I always preach to people "take it to the track" but this opportunity couldn't be missed. :22:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
While it sounds like a "tie" remember the other driver may have not have been pushing as hard as you. The WRX should blow the MO away given the extra HP and lesser weight. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I know that when I'm in a situation like that (not often) I usally work it just enough to stay ahead when in that position. Perhaps that is was the WRX was doing...

He was just baiting you jpalm! :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He wasn't playing....he couldn't drive, thats all. Obviously he didn't downshift, missed a gear, got the wrong gear or whatever. Point is, fast cars don't drive themselves. Not to mention I outbraked him BAD in a 2 TON vehicle!

I'm not even trying to have a Murano vs. STi comparasion...there is none.
I don't care what you drive, if you suck.....you suck. I regularly beat Porsches, Vettes, WRX's, IS300's and the like at AutoX in my 105 HP CRX? Its certainly not because of power! The general public can't drive for sh!t.

I'm not claiming to be Michael Schumacher, but I definately drive better than most and know a lot more about how a vehicle will act in a given situation.

·
4,664 Posts
Not the first time I've seen or done that...

A good vehicle with a lousy driver, really is a waste of hardware.

I had an old Triumph Daytona 500 Motorcycle at one point and I whipped a guy on a Suzuki Katana, with it... I was surprised, he was embarassed and he asked my buddy what the story was with my bike. My buddy told him it was a Yoshimura Triumph... We laughed our heads off afterwards. Poor guy.

Good thing I didn't have the Katana. We'd be waiting for him to catch up and probably would have finished the first beer.

Sigh... Memories from 25 years back.... Wouldn't drive a bike in Toronto now, too many crazy people in cars!:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Over the weekend we went to the in-laws and its all back country roads he in GA to get there. Well, some older guy (60ish probably....don't be offended if you are "older"!) and his wife in a 04' Cobra (390 hp) decided to have their Sunday drive on Saturday.

Needless to say after 5 or so miles of his 5 MPH UNDER the Speed Limit I blew by him. In the process he gave me the one finger salute!:p

What a waste of a good car.

·
Registered
443 Posts
:) Good driving!

Was it definitely an STi? I have been pleasantly surprised in my S once or twice by regular WRX's with trunklid swaps and fake badging.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
jpalm..

JPALM: Needless to say after 5 or so miles of his 5 MPH UNDER the Speed Limit I blew by him. In the process he gave me the one finger salute!
JUst be careful, those back country roads are usually 2-way right?
So for unexperience driver (like the cobra driver), he thinks you dont know what you are doing, doing dangerous manuaver like that.

I have same experience as well, but usually the bottleneck in front of me are people who drive toyota(s).

·
5,100 Posts
Shucks, jpalm, I'd be happy to be 60ish, low 60ish that is.

·
5,268 Posts
Re: jpalm..

SugarRushMurano said:

So for unexperience driver (like the cobra driver), he thinks you dont know what you are doing, doing dangerous manuaver like that.

I have same experience as well, but usually the bottleneck in front of me are people who drive toyota(s).

Sugar,

2-lane roads are perfectly OK. Have you ever driven on a single lane road, I mean just enough room for one car and no shoulders? Speed 120 k/hr. Getting out of a bend and seeing a road train approaching at the same speed? Try this one. After that backroads described by jpalm will look like veeeeery wide highways…..
:2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Halo said:
:) Good driving!

Was it definitely an STi? I have been pleasantly surprised in my S once or twice by regular WRX's with trunklid swaps and fake badging.
Definately an STi, I'm around alot of these cars at my SCCA functions. Big wing, big hood scoop, 18" wheels, Brembo brakes give it away.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: jpalm..

SugarRushMurano said:

Got him on a straight. No big deal when the guy is going 40 in a 45!

·
My MO's faster than yours
444 Posts
nice story...

I didn't race a STI...but i did kill my brothers 2.5rs impreza...from 0 to 90 then i backed off.... And the otherday I walked on a 4door g35 with 400lbs of cargo in the back.... I was surprised.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own both a 2004 STi & a 2004 Murano SE AWD. I also race autox
& can tell you there is no way a Murano can even keep close to an STi either straight line, cornering or braking. Either the guy was just cruising with no intention of messing with you or if he was, he should drive directly to the nearest Subaru dealer & trade it in on a Honda Civic!:D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
fd3s said:
I own both a 2004 STi & a 2004 Murano SE AWD. I also race autox
& can tell you there is no way a Murano can even keep close to an STi either straight line, cornering or braking. Either the guy was just cruising with no intention of messing with you or if he was, he should drive directly to the nearest Subaru dealer & trade it in on a Honda Civic!:D
Exactly what I was thinking.

·
5,100 Posts
Love it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
here he comes, here comes speed racer.
He's a demon on wheels.
go speed racer, go speed racer, go speed racer, Gooooooooo!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts