Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my noob post here.....been a fan of Nissan for a long time...I work for Enterprise Rent-A-Car...I sell their vehicles...:p <insert joke here> hehe anyway my wife and I have been looking to buy an AWD for a while, have settled on a MO with its smooth CVT, beasty 3.5L and stylish looks.....

To be honest with you, Enterprise does rent on a limited basis their Murano's so we do sell them with under 20K miles an 04 SL AWD (cloth) for in the neighborhood of $25k.....

AND THEN I came across an FX35 that I rented from Enterprise whilst I was in Tampa, FL. Another 3.5L V6 delivering 35 more HP than a Murano, leather standard etc etc etc...

Upon further research, an FX35 would be available for about $6k more.....I guess when you're looking to spend $25k, another few thousand doesn't too unreasonable....

Anyway my question is, would it be worth it to go for an FX35 which is set on a G35 frame which is stylishly bold, or stick with a Murano for less $$ and soup the %@#[email protected]#$ out of it?

Any input? :1:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I have only test driven both and chose the MO, Mainly ride and style. It's obivously very much a personal thing. Good Luck on the choice. Grip :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Shopped both before buying Murano. Agree it's a personal thing. Other than styling differences, FX is based on a rear-drive platform, while MO is based on front-drive platform, with drive to the rears [on AWD model] only as needed. MO has more room for rear-seat pasengers, especially head room, and substantially more total cargo space with rear seats folded. As you note, FX has more power and conventional tranny. Whatever floats your particular boat.........

·
Registered
781 Posts
The one thing I didn't like about the FX was the rear headroom. I'm not very tall (5'11") and found my head hitting the roof. Not that I plan on riding in the back much - but it is nice for others to not have to deal with it.

I think the FX is a very sexy SUV. I would have had a hard time not getting the 45 though. Defnitely a very cool exhaust note.

There is always the FWD vs RWD debate - if it matters to you.

·
5,244 Posts
You cannot compare them. They are totally different vehicles. I know. I drive them both. The FX is a sports car on steroids, real fun to drive. MO is a family sedan/station wagon with something extra! And I love it. As I said I love them both and drive them both. MO is more family oriented, FX - fun to drive. You choose what you want. Or what you need.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I should get both? :D

Actually someone enlighten me a little, what would be the primary difference in driving the FWD based Murano and the RWD based FX35? Does that mean that the AWD FX35 kicks power to the front when it notices a slip, total reverse of the Murano's AWD system?

From what I've read, the FX35 rides a little rougher but it is built more for fun which I'm totally into, whereas the MO is the more "conventional" of the two......

·
Registered
781 Posts
The FX is going to drive like a RWD - until it detects slip - then transfers power to the front - so yes - it is exactly opposite of the Murano in that respect.

Some people prefer RWD for all types of driving. Some argue FWD is better in slippery conditions although with AWD it isn't gonna make much of a difference. Personally, I'd rather drive RWD in snow over FWD. I learned to drive in snow with a RWD - everything I've owned (with the exception of the Murano) has been RWD/AWD/4WD.

I've had many debates with people over FWD vs RWD - it all comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Anyway - both are very good choices. It is all in what you're looking for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just thought of this which may ultimately force me to choose a MO.... There are no Infiniti dealerships in the state of WV...closest one is in Dublin, OH near Columbus which is about 2 1/2 hours away from me....

Would my local Nissan dealeships be able to work on an Fx35?

Then again my wife would love to drive up to Columbus to shop....

Would be cheaper to get a MO in more ways than one...:2:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I doubt a Nissan dealer can perform warranty work on the FX.

Sure would suck to pay for a 2 1/2 hour tow to replace an alternator. :)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Call ask for part and then have installed by Infiniti and have them bill the main office for reinbursement.

·
4,601 Posts
Infiniti's a marketing name for certain Nissan products, so I'd be surprised if they couldn't do service on it. Outside North America, I'm not aware of Infiniti existing in any form.

I wonder if a Pontiac dealer can service a Chev?

As far as the Murano / FX question, it depends what you want it for. I didn't like the FX as much, but still like it. If I was going to drop a supercharger in it, I'd take the FX because of rear wheel drive and conventional transmission, although if that's what I wanted, I'd get a G35 instead.

I think the Murano's better looking than the FX and storage is better. I like the Magnum too, but that's another story....:p

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've been driving a black FX35 loaner the last couple days, after the dealer put the first scratch (1.5" vertical in the center of my drivers door) on my MO last Friday. I can't believe I made it 2 yrs & 28k miles, without a single mark & I don't even have the side moldings.

The FX is fun to drive, although it is a lot tighter (cramped), but then most sports cars are anyway. It is narrower & has less rear seat room & rear luggage room, but better side bolsters on the seats. It is definitely faster than the MO & has a tighter ride & steering radius.
I guess I do miss the sound of duals with a old school tranny!:D

I wish the MO came with the 265/60 Potenza's, they have a much beefier look to them.

Kris I see why you like them both. They are kissing cousins after all. ;)

·
4,601 Posts
I love the FX, but the little difference in storage space in the back, killed it for me... Oh and the price difference wasn't worth it for me either, but that wasn't the big problem.

But I think I'll revisit it. After all, I'm curious about the Magnum too, so if the boxes I have to carry will fit in that, they might squeeze into an FX...

The wide tires, might fit. Didn't someone slap on wide Michelins on their Murano?

·
Registered
763 Posts
jaak - With the FX narrower & with a lower roof line, your boxes better be long & thin. :2:

·
4,601 Posts
And that's where I look at the Magnum and think it might work, because part of the roof comes up, when you open it.

My expectation is, I'll take a box with me, and it won't fit in either. Or it won't fit in the FX, or I'll miss the roominess of the Murano, and I'll drive a Magnum and that will suck, so I'll be back to another Murano. Which is OK, because if I do, it will be a loaded SE, and I'll pull the snowflake wheels, but snow tires on them, and take the extra set of SL wheels I bought from Ohio Murano, and stick them on, with the TPMS sensors...

Got it all planned out, so it's likely Nissan will drastically change the Murano and I won't like it. 'Cause that's the way these things usually work!:p

But I admit a '45 would be nice...:D

·
5,244 Posts
KSmurano said:
I've been driving a black FX35 loaner the last couple days, after the dealer put the first scratch (1.5" vertical in the center of my drivers door) on my MO last Friday. I can't believe I made it 2 yrs & 28k miles, without a single mark & I don't even have the side moldings.

The FX is fun to drive, although it is a lot tighter (cramped), but then most sports cars are anyway. It is narrower & has less rear seat room & rear luggage room, but better side bolsters on the seats. It is definitely faster than the MO & has a tighter ride & steering radius.
I guess I do miss the sound of duals with a old school tranny!:D

I wish the MO came with the 265/60 Potenza's, they have a much beefier look to them.

Kris I see why you like them both. They are kissing cousins after all. ;)
I am not surprised you liked the FX. It really is fun to drive! :2:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I sat in an '05 FX at the Chicago AutoShow and they fixed the rear headroom issue. I actually could sit up straight.

The problem I'd have is I'd have to get the '45. I could think of a few other cars I'd rather drop the coin on.

·
Registered
763 Posts
GM - If I'm impressed with the 35, I'd go gaga on a 45, but the one small problem is that $53k figure........

2005 Infiniti FX45
AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 5A)
What Others
Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
National Base Price
A note about advertising fees $45,450 $41,764 $44,500
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code Change - - -$276
Optional Equipment $9,180 $7,303 $8,556
U01 Technology Package $4,200 $3,619 $4,007
P01 Premium Package $2,500 $2,155 $2,385
W01 20-inch Chrome Wheels $1,600 $840 $1,347
T93 Tow Hitch $600 $506 $569
B95 Splash Guards $130 $81 $114
J93 Sunroof Wind Deflector $80 $54 $71
P93 Cargo Area Protector $70 $48 $63
Color Adjustment - - $0
Black Obsidian
Destination Charge $610 $610 $610
Total with Options $55,240 $49,677 $53,390

·
5,244 Posts
KS,

I lease FX35 for my wife - $440/month; 15,000 miles/year. I think it is a good deal. Anyway, my wife does bother with such details, she leaves it to me...;)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Oh yeah - the price tag is the other thing keeping me from getting a '45. I'd love to have it in my garage though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts