Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are buying a new Nissan Murano SL AWD. It comes with Goodyear Eagle LS tires: 235/65TR18. When buying a new car, we generally also get dedicated Nokian winter tires on their own (steel) wheels.

According to our local dealer, steel wheels are not available in either an 18" or 17" size. As we would prefer not to buy alloy wheels for winter tires, we are considering either staying with 18" tires or going down to 16".

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV is available as a 235/60TR18XL. The variance is -3.1%.

It also is available as a 255/70TR16. The variance is 0.1%.

Both tires exceed the Goodyear Eagle's load rating.

Is either tire a safe, desirable choice?

If not, can someone recommend an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

David G.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I, too, am perplexed about tire choices for winter use. I, too, have used Nokians for many years. The 235/60R18's are, as you said, 3.1% smaller, but would, in my dealer's opinion, work. One also could get 235/75R16's which are virtually the same diameter as the 18's. I have two questions on the 16's. Would the 75 aspect ratio allow for too much flex, and are 16" wheels available for the Murano? Like you, I like Nokians and therefore have yet another question. . . WR SUV's or Hak SUV's? Which one would be best? Anyone out there have answers to any of these questions?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have just finished looking into winter tire options for my Murano.
Nokian is the only manufacture that I could find with an 18" winter tire - the HAK 235/60R18 XL.

My dealer and many tire shops suggested moving to a 17 inch alloy rim with tire width and aspect ratio that would pretty much match the height of the OEM 235/65's. The 17" rim size opens up the number of available tires considerably. I would have gone that route if I was planning to use the original rims for my summer tires, but I want to use the original rims for winter tires and next spring purchase a set of custom chrome rims for summer use. So I elected to go with the Nokian Hak 235/60R18 XL's. My tire shop is an authorized Nokian retailer and they could not find any of these tires in Canada, I have a set on special order - the will be shipped from Finland, with a 3 week delivery time.

I considered the Nokian WR's (briefly). I did not go that route because in my experience all season tires represent a real compromise in tire performance for just about any condition. I have had the opportunity to compare all seasons vs summer and all seasons vs winter tires on a 280zx, a toyata supra, a 300zx and two Pathfinders. A good winter tire gives far better traction and control, especially on ice, then does an all season. Given the length of winters here in Edmonton I wanted a tire that would provide maximum performance and safety, so I went with the HAK's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know the bolt pattern, and any other pertinent characteristics, required for new wheels to fit the Murano?

·
Registered
68 Posts
NissanFan. . .What does your dealer say about the size difference between the 65 and 60 tires? Are you studding the Hak's? Also, what price are you paying?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
NissanFan. . .What does your dealer say about the size difference between the 65 and 60 tires? Are you studding the Hak's? Also, what price are you paying?

Dealer sez no problem with size difference. My speedo will report speed about 3% faster then actual (which is not necessarily a bad thing, given my heavy foot!).

I am not studding them. Price: $255Can each, installed and balanced

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nissanfan

Fellow Edmontonian here, 235 per tire I think I will stick with the Goodyears until they die.

I can't beleive how many MO's are on the road here ( there must be a lot of smart people in town) I just did a major road trip through the North Western States and BC and I think I saw more Murano's driving in and out of town than I did on the rest of the trip which took in Calgary, Spokane, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver( twice) , Victoria and home.

Pic Hood River Oregon with windsurfing equipmenttrailer in tow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
eager said:
Nissanfan

Fellow Edmontonian here, 235 per tire I think I will stick with the Goodyears until they die.

I can't beleive how many MO's are on the road here ( there must be a lot of smart people in town) I just did a major road trip through the North Western States and BC and I think I saw more Murano's driving in and out of town than I did on the rest of the trip which took in Calgary, Spokane, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver( twice) , Victoria and home.

Pic Hood River Oregon with windsurfing equipmenttrailer in tow.
Good to see that the CVT is up to the task of towing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello everybody, this is my first post but I have been reading Murano forums since last May when I got my Pewter SL AWD. There are winter tires specifically made for the Murano by Dunlop. These are 235-65-18, the model is called SJ5 and is supposed to be an upgrade from the SJ4. The nice thing appears to be the price, here in Quebec city they will install it on the car for 158$ CDN each, it is just above 100$ US. I will have mine installed on Nov 3 and I will then be able to comment on overall performance. I was told that this is not the best (Nokian) but a very decent winter tire, much better than any all season. With regard to wheel fitting, I was told by the dealer that they tried to fit other Nissan 16 and 17 inches wheels and that none would clear the massive front brake rotors. Besides the winter tire issue, I am still thrilled with the Murano, after 5 months and 6000 Km. It is my first car bought new and I must say that it looks as a good choice because I have nothing wrong to say about the car or the dealership. My tires were set at 33 psi on delivery and I did not experience any of the noise, hesitation or else reported by a few owners. My Murano was built in April 03.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dunlop SJ5 are available but they are not even on the Dunlop site. Only a few are aware of their availability, many dealers are not. This is apparently a new tire based on the SJ4. It was tested in Japan and in scandinavia but it is not possible to get any review written in English.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did a little research and found that Dunlop does (did) make a tire the Dunlop SP WinterSport M3 in 235/65-18. This is, I believe, similar to the Grandtrek WTM3 which is similar to the SP5. I have yet to find it available. Anyone have any more info.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to Bob at Tiretrends.com in Canada, this tire is on factory back order with no scheduled production date.

According to my local tire dealer, Direct Tire, in Watertown, MA, the SJ5 is being test marketed in Japan and parts of Canada. It is not yet DOT-certified, something they expect in time for next year.

On the Pirelli website, I see a Scorpion Ice and Snow sized 255/60HR18. This is only a 0.1% difference from stock. But I cannot find it at tirerack.com.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I visited my Nokian dealer today and he told me that the 235/65R18 HAK SUV's are backordered to the point where they don't think they will have any this year. Apparently there is a new HAK, perhaps the HAK 2, and that will be the new HAK SUV. WR's are available, however. My dealer suggested that, depending on when I take delivery, I run the Eagle LS's through the winter, and make a decision next fall. He did, however, say I would't like the Eagles in the snow or ice. Wonderful:(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called Pirelli, 1-800-747-3554. I was told that, even though the particular Scorpion Ice & Snow is listed on their website, it is not yet in production, and won't be available this winter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It looks as thought we may be SOL on pure winter tires, at least for now. If you have more information, let us all know. I can tell you that if the Nokian WR SUV's are anything like the old NRW's they will be plenty good enough for winter use as well as all season. I used NRW's on my '90 Audi V8 and they were great, and then used them on my '97 Olds Aurora in place of winter tires. Even with FWD they were great, not as good, obviously, as on the V8, but great. My son-in-law uses them all year on his Olds Intrigue and loves them, so, again, if the WR's are supposed to be a step up, they should be terrific. . .not a true winter only tire, but a great tire all season.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts