Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murano Xenon Bulb not working. Bulb or Ballast problem?

So I recently replaced my Halogens to Xenons(complete headlight units and not just the bulbs) as in the thread here:> http://nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4748&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

They worked perfectly for exactly a week. Yesterday, when I switched them on, Left side light didn't come ON. Not even hi-beam. The other side is working fine. I checked the fuse and it seems fine. I am wondering if this is common or? What should I be doing to get this fixed? What is an average life of the Xenon bulb? If this is going to be a regularly happening, I'm gonna have to go back to halogens.. :(

1. What is the quickest and easiest method for Xenon bulb replacement?
2. Where is the best place for me to get the original Bulb at the best price?

I talked to someone and he mentioned that 9 out of 10 times it is the ballast. Anyway to check what is the root cause of this? You guys are Guru's/experts. Please advise. Is the ballast replaceable or is there something else going on? Thanks

Edit: Clarified that it is not just the bulb that was replaced but the whole unit was replaced.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was always told not to change from Halogen to Xenon cause the bulb gets hotter and will burn out your wiring. You might have done that unless you replaced the entire headlight.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
parry-

Check all connections and crimps.

Ensure the relay is properly wired.

Pay particular attention to the wiring for the left-side unit.

-njjoe

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check them out. I am pretty sure the connections are solid as I soldered them. Does that mean that there could be a loose connection or what does this mean though? looking at some more ideas..

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
parry-

Not to be sarcastic, but "pretty sure" is not good enough. You need to be 100% sure.

Since one half of the system is operational, it is obvious you did a good job wiring-up the main feed to the lights. My suspicions are with the wires/connections feeding the left half. Check and double-check those.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
xconcepts said:
I was always told not to change from Halogen to Xenon cause the bulb gets hotter and will burn out your wiring. You might have done that unless you replaced the entire headlight.
My understanding is that Xenon bulbs use no more than 35 watts, vs. 55 watts or more for Halogen. The bulbs are therefore run cooler and wires are safer. Plus, the fuse will (or is supposed to) give a lot sooner than the wires.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I'm no electrical scientist but isn't the concern when converting the voltage and not the wattage?

I would be willing to bet the the wiring in the MO supports either since they do offer the choice I can't believe Nissan would have different wires on the assembly line.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Normally I'd say check the relay or fuses (most HID retrofits require a 20A or higher fuse to replace the stock one), but since one side works, I'd say the connection is the culprit. Try switching connectors, left to right, and see if the other light comes on. If so, its the connector. If not, its the HID unit (ballast or bulb) itself.

If you have a multimeter you can also backprobe the connectors. Be careful though, there is some very high current running into the ballast when you first fire up the lights!

The ballast will be pricey to replace (usually you want matching ballasts on both sides for even current regulation), but the bulb, you can get for under $100. Look for the "D2S" variety, in the stsock color shade (guessing 4200-4600K).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts