Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this is a 'urban SUV', not really designed for off road use but one of the reasons I picked the Murano was the AWD and room in the back for a float tube(s) and getting into and out of places with slick roads.

Yesterday I took mine fishing for the first time. Went up a very steep hill to get back on the pavement and then drove it through a couple of snowbanks. The Murano had the power and traction to drive up the gravel bank and handled the snow just fine. Not a definitive test but a good indication that it will do what I need it to do.

Anyone else have experience in off or semi-off road use?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
149 Posts
Being in Real Estate, I have taken the MO to some construction sites that were quite harsh and the MO performed well.

I would not take it off road all the time, but in short uses, I think it will do well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For some reason I feel my Murano drove better in snow then my Xterra.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Well, with the adaptive AWD, VDC, and traction control, I'm sure it does. An entirely different traction system. That said, my X was only 2WD and I traded it in for the Murano a few days after the X was stuck in the snow (for 3 days).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Seems to get at the fact that the term "off road" has different meaning to different people. Gravely, snow covered or wet roads would be fine for the MO. Jeep trails, deep mud, brush... why would you right?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ground clearance is the biggest issue, and secondarily no LSD, but that's all that's keeping the Mo from going off road. It's done great for me in the snow and on some reasonably serious goat trails in Death Valley. Next set of tires though I may go for taller to get a little more ride height...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Even moderate attempts at "off roading" activity would require more aggressive tires . A low range transfer case (not likely to ever be available) would be needed as well....a recent attempt to climb a 30 degree gravel hill caused the MO to bog down...no wheelspin; just not enough torque to climb...CVT didn't react too well to this activity...but as we all know, this is not this vehicle's intended use...

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
hehe

I went to a cave in north Alabama once that the owner only lets one trip a year go to. We worked 3 weekends on the road to the entrance with a bulldozer to get it passable for 4x4's. 1 baby Blazer, 5 Isuzu troopers, a Honda Civic and 1 Toy 4x4 went in. The Toy, the Blazer, the Civic and one Isuzu made it out without major mechanical breakdown.
Now, would anyone have guessed the civic would have made it out?
FWD has a lot goin for it but I ain't uh takin the Mo to no dang cave.
:D

·
Registered
522 Posts
Senza, you make a good point there about lack of low gear transfer case, and that's actually a good reason NOT to get larger diameter tires as the torque converter may be unwilling to get the larger tires (I.E. less leverage) moving in sticky situations. It's already kinda marginal sometimes...

·
4,664 Posts
I can and have taken cars into what most people would consider off road conditions, so I have no hesistation taking the Murano. Like any vehicle, you need to be aware of where things are and what will be damaged if you do something stupid. Remember, there are no skid plates.

I remember taking a rental car into the "off-road" section Mulhulland (sp?) drive in CA and a guy in a jacked up 4x4 telling me not to take it in, as he was leaving. Sure had a lot of fun.... Didn't get stuck, came out the other side and had to be careful in a few spots, but not bad.

But I wouldn't race in Baja in a Murano... Or Paris to Dakar.

·
5,268 Posts
There is off-road driving and OFF-ROAD driving. I had the pleasure of taking a sedan off-road in an Australian Outback where most of you would say I would need a SERIOUS OFF-ROADER. Never got stuck……….so I believe that Murano, especially AWD would do quite well off-road.

Before you reply to this post, please be aware that rock climbing, deep creek crossing I do not consider off-road driving. Try something like unsealed road (80 mph), dry creek crossing, beach driving etc.

Enjoy…………

·
Registered
418 Posts
MightyMo - I understand that "off line" acceleration/low speed hill climbing is further hampered by the fact that,in order to protect the CVT, engine power/torque is reduced by the ECM....larger tires (I have 265 x 60's) make this a little more noticeable....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nah, intake is totally different. Better actually, check out all the perfectly matched intake runner lengths:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts