Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I noticed the other day... the Murano is not cheap! What features of the Murano do you think jacks up the sticker price?

The engine?

The CVT?

The interior?

I'm just curious. The other day, someone mentioned that my car was really luxurious (they had driven in it with me) while around the office water cooler. Another employee overheard and asked what I was driving, a Lexus, BMW, etc? When I said "Nissan Murano" they kinda had this "Oh" expression, as if they were expecting luxurious to mean high-end, and since it was just a Nissan it couldn't be that great.

Someone on FA said the same thing, it's surprising that a company that produces cars as low as the Sentra (price wise) also churns out more expensive, better quality vehicles like the Murano, 350Z, and soon to be the Armada, and people just don't equate 'Nissan' with 'really great'.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Funny Pricing

Forbes' article about Murano used US prices, and said it was more expensive than Pilot.

In Canada, Pilot is $43-$46, while Murano is $39-$46 (plus Nav).

If I bought a US Murano for $28, it would cost me close to $40k CAD, and I can buy one here for less than that.

I wouldn't pay more for a Pilot. Forbes also states that it's better value (Murano). It sells for a bit more than a Pathfinder, and I can see the difference (things that would cost a few thousand, it seems to me)... bigger, etc., more goodies.

·
Registered
278 Posts
PF LE vs MO SE

The "leather, loaded" MO is cheaper than the fully loaded leather Pathfinder LE. $46

·
Registered
255 Posts
Actually I posted that over in FA. I had a guy that owns two Lexus SUVs and Porsche Boxster S sit in my Murano and he was impressed/surprised by how nice the Murano is. The problem is that Nissan, or Honda for that matter are not looked at as a luxury brands. The Acura and Infiniti groups are considered Luxury. The Murano just happens to be the best, most luxurious Nissan available and many of the features overlap with the Ininiti division.

Car reviewers, Murano owners, and car junkies know the the Murano has more bang for the buck than many of the lux SUVs, but your typical luxury car owner does not. I mean it is getting compared with X5, RX330, and MB as an affordable alternative.

·
5,268 Posts
I remember reading a review where the reviewer was wondering : why Nissan did not call it Infiniti!

I another parts of the world Acura Legend used to be called Honda Legend. So, here we go.

One thing for sure, the Murano is an attention getter!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true, the MO is high class stuff even though it doesn't sound like it or look like it at first glance. Nissan certainly could've went the cheaper route and made something more like a Matrix or Vibe, or a light ute with similar stylings as the Pathfinder, but I'm glad they took the time and effort with the Murano.

Although people don't think luxury when they first hear Nissan, their minds change pretty quick when they sit in a MO ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Matrix and Murano

In a way, I think that Nissan did "go the Matrix route"... but they did an excellent job of it. Matrix's engine is well-matched to the body, it's the right shape (less of a box on wheels), has the right concept, in terms of design.

But Nissan took that further (beyond the price range, too, sending it towards, but staying away from MDX, BMW turf).

From my Pathfinder perspective, they made it longer, lower, and wider, exactly what I would have done to it if I could.

If they had not made the Murano, I would have had a $10,000 decision (MDX et al) or "settled" for Matrix, Protege5... anything that was likely to remain upright, was fun to drive, and did not have a trunk (I'm allergic to sedans/"berlines").

So, whether they squished a PF, or expanded a Matrix, they arrived at a place where many of us want to be!

·
4,664 Posts
Works for a while anyway... In January/February I got a lot of "What is it" with the emblems on, now everyone who talks to me, knows what it is and they want to know what it's been like, after they ask how long I've had it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts