Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an unused pin in the radion connector that can be taken to ground to mute the radio. I had my phone car kit installed in another car and found the unused pin for the mute. I would like to reproduce it in my Murano.

Thanks
Richard :1:

·
4,601 Posts
Unfortunately, no.... Well, let me rephrase that, yes, but the parts aren't installed, so it's not functional.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Jaak, if you ever see a quick fix for this one, I have a 12v negative to feed a mute signal in there currently hanging uselessly under the dash... :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
My car phone installer got this to work - kind of.
There is, as jaak mentioned, an inoperable pin on the head unit.
We didn't use that.
If you look at Jaak's site, you'll find an "amp turn on " signal, or something similar on one of the plugs on the back of the head unit. They used that to basically turn off the bose amp, which is a fairly effective mute.
Oh, yeah, guess you have to have the bose to make this work.
Hope this made sense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can make this work on any radio. All you need is the cell mute signal from your phone and a relay. Basically, you wire the relay so that it interupts the ign. cirtcuit on the back of the unit. When the phone rings, the radio turns off. Not as good as the real thing, but it works in my Ford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which wire on the back of the radio will turn it off. I am sure I only want the on/off and not the Power which then I will lose all presets, time, ect. Is this on your site Jaak.

Thanks

·
4,601 Posts
I identify the pin on my site, but it's not functional... :3:

However, there's a guy who built a simple relay circuit that not only interrupted the audio from the Bose to the PA, but inserted the handsfree kit audio to feed the PA. He did this on his FX and purchased the commonly available Nissan connectors for the back of the radio, so he can interface this without cutting the harness.

If you happen to buy a Pac audio in adapter, the jumper that taps off power for the device, has these connectors. Relays could be inserted here, to handle the job. He wired it so the Nav came through on one side, and the phone on the other, while the audio was muted. I'd be tempted to put in some resistors to allow the audio to feed through at a lower level in the background.

Wish I could remember where it is.... It was on an FX forum, by a guy named Howard. He was kind enough to send me an extra board he had made, and I plan to install it in the Murano, if I ever get my Motorola Car kit cradle in... It's quite simple.

I had a picture of it somewhere.... Hmmm... Can't seem to find it.

Anyway, here's a picture of the jumper that you can cut into, on the PAC, or you can go to a car audio shop and buy these with pigtails and connect them up, with relays in between to switch audio paths.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Jaak, are you saying that the PAC can be used as an AUX input for the phone? I mean, the PAC has to be switched to AUX1 and 2 manually, right? So, it cannot be used as is but would have to be modified if I get it right.

A simple relay would kill the ignition wire alright if you only need a radio mute but using the Bose as the phone speaker would definitely be ideal.

If you can find this info, I am buying! Should be receiving the PAC soon so I will be playing behind the radio anyway during the upcoming weekend.

·
4,601 Posts
Look what I found...

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
SIM said:
Jaak, are you saying that the PAC can be used as an AUX input for the phone?
No actually you won't want to do that, as it would only work if you have the SAT button pressed. Although, if this is desirable, you could do it that way, but it's not automatic.

Adding the NAV was a modification to circuit above. Just pull the Cell audio off one side and tap in the nav audio.

·
Registered
741 Posts
HERE YA GO! :) Thanks a lot Jaak. Just a quick question. Is the upper left part of the diagram connecting directly to an existing connector (either the PAC or the radio)?

I must admit that I am a beginner with this kind of electronic stuff but I will have this circuit made ASAP.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
What about N-Bus switching?

Jaak,

Can't your new kit switch the radio to Sat? Or no... that would be a great way to pick up the phone.. switch to Nav with the PAC kit installed

·
4,601 Posts
SIM said:
HERE YA GO! :) Thanks a lot Jaak. Just a quick question. Is the upper left part of the diagram connecting directly to an existing connector (either the PAC or the radio)?

I must admit that I am a beginner with this kind of electronic stuff but I will have this circuit made ASAP.
Oops, I'm still waking up, I see... There's two sets of connectors, so you still have to buy the others, the PAC interface doesn't supply them all.

Sorry about that!

Have a look here for pinout detail:

http://members.rogers.com/muran0/Connector Info.htm

·
4,601 Posts
Re: What about N-Bus switching?

EasternPA said:
Jaak,

Can't your new kit switch the radio to Sat? Or no... that would be a great way to pick up the phone.. switch to Nav with the PAC kit installed
If there's a command for that, I'm not yet aware of it. I agree, it would work well...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Based on the diagram posted by Jaak, I will have a mute module ready by next week for testing. I'll keep you guys posted. I just need to find a place where to buy the OEM radio connectors so that I don't have to cut and splice the wires.

All that is needed to operate the module will be the mono output from the cell module (going to speaker) and the mute signal (12 volt neg.)

It looks like an affordable design and the benefits are worth the trouble in my case.

·
4,601 Posts
I'll take the liberty of posting some info Howard gave me...

My phone is finally in. See this thread:
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=90&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I thought of doing your idea to lower the headunit radio volume during a call, but I felt it would be too distracting - so I mute it totally. I bet I'm missing my NAV voice commands during a cell call - but what the heck, no biggie for me. Yes, it would be easy to mix some of the headunit audio during a call. Or I could have just switched the front speakers to the cell call and left the rears playing the radio. That might work out too for some.

My 8 resistors are inline with the cell audio and turned out to be 500 ohms. Four resistors branch off the + speaker lead and go to the + side of each differntial amp input. Four resistors go from the (-) speaker output and feed the 4 (-) amp inputs. I chose a value that attenuated the cell audio since it was about 2 volts (intended for the cheap Motorola speaker). I figured these resistors would also prevent the amp inputs from interacting with one another which might have happened if I had paralleled all 4 inputs together and attenuated the cell audio before that point. I did use a 1N4148 across the coil to prevent spikes from reaching the Motorola junction box and also used a 50 ohm resister in line with the relay coil to minimize current draw.

My 2 relays are from Mouser Electronics - $10 each - that is the most expensive part of the mod - Omron 653-G6A-434P-DC12. I tried something new on the circuit boards- I designed them online using this free software from expresspcb.com . That software is a ton of fun to use and the $60 it cost me to make 3 boards was worth it in entertainment value alone! Better than Las Vegas. See http://www.expresspcb.com
Howard identifies the connectors as Scosche - NN03B and NN03BR or Metra 70-7550 and 71-7550.

Check out the link to the thread above as well...

Also, I've got another picture of it in a cassette case. I'm sure Howard wouldn't mind me sharing this information with you.

The link to expresspcb was great too, that's what I used to make my interface board.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
I've wanted to do that for over a year now... It's a great idea, except, I'm not aware of a hardware control for this. It seems that a command is sent to the radio from the Nav to tell it to do this.

I've not pursued this further, as I don't have Nav, and I could work it out from the radio, but I really prefer it in my dash, then on my bench...

However, I'm fairly certain there is an IC that switches the audio path for this, that is most likely hardware controlled inside the radio. If this control line could be accessed, then manual control would be possible. However it requires taking apart the radio, not something I recommend while in warranty.

If you want to try to trace it, I do have pictures of the circuit boards, from both sides.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm sure that this has probably come up before, but is there any way to activate the mute button that is on the face of the radio? Like I said, I'm sure this has been thought of before, but I just had to ask.

·
4,601 Posts
If you took apart the radio, you can get to the back of that button, similar to what Generator has done for the Nav. The only problem, is this toggles, so how do you know which state it's in?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts