Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is, an IBM laptop based, GARMIN driven, in self designed and fabricated KANGRU (tm) holder, Just for MO :2:

I can hear directions, speak to it, have a dual view. Like a closer view and bird-eye view.

After I have set a route, the system guides me with Voice commands, like Route 95, next EXIT right after 0.5 miles aproaching in 45 seconds.

So I can use my laptop as GPS, DVD player, game console for kids and of course as a computer too.

Next addition, a USB camera, to watch my rear, as a rear view camera displaying image on the computer. As soon as I figure out how to route the cables from back to near the computer.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
I think I'll stick with my OEM Nav!

·
Registered
834 Posts
That's some set up.

Any special tchniques for bending and gluing the Plexiglass?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Answer: I don't have the original NAV system. I had decided early on, instead of spending $1500 on NAV option + $1800 entertainment system, I'll build it myself. As I wrote before, in addition to serving these purposes, it also works as a laptop computer, and next thing I am adding will be a rear view CAM, that will use laptop display, in a smaller window.

Regarding bending plexiglass, you have to use heat gun and bending rigs use to bend sheet metal, both available at yout HomeDepot. I used band saw to cut the plastic sheet.

I power the computer using autoAdapter for laptops, and have a headphone with mike to speak to system. Large screen works lot better than 5" screens, street names and Highway numbers are a breeze to read. It works really good in dark, in a bright sunny day, glare makes it difficult, depending upon the direction of the Sun, I thing I need to make a shroud, using a black craft sheet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What back-up camera are you going with? Keep us updated on how that goes, I'm very interested in doing one myself.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SiiG makes a nice 'cobra head' type usb webcam for laptops, I am plnning to run an usb extention cable from the bumper area to the computer. I will look at the posts of XM installions that lot of people on this forums have done.

Yes, I think it is a great idea to use these tablet type laptops, gives more maneurability.

It works really good as it is, I need to also add a trackball, lot easier than the mouse in these conditions.

The key of course it not be distracted from the main task, ie driving.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
That's definitely a unique solution to adding nav to a non-nav MO.

Of course, with anything new, I have a couple questions:
How do you change radio stations & add CDs? I know that the screen folds down, but does it get in the way a lot?

How much does it rattle around there?

Did you hide the wires or do they always stick out over the shifter?

What are the specs on the laptop?
----------
All in all, I like creativity. Neat idea.:4:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snow MO said:
I have a couple questions:
How do you change radio stations & add CDs?

----> Not a problem, thanks to Nissan, most of the commonlly used functions on radio, CD can be handled by controls on the steering.

You forgot to ask about the Climate control, just set on AUTO and forget about it. :D

I know that the screen folds down, but does it get in the way a lot?

Yes, screen fold down nicely to reveal the control center, for stuff not on steering wheel or times you dont need the MoNav.

How much does it rattle around there?

Not when laptop is in there, hear slight ticking when laptop is taken out. I thing I need to put little velcro to solve that miniscule problem, I would not use rattle to describe it tho'.

Did you hide the wires or do they always stick out over the shifter?

That part of the project is under progress.

What are the specs on the laptop?

Pentium iii 750, 20gb hd, 512 MB.

Do you notice that the receptacle is bigger than the laptop, because there is room for my widescreen 15.4" Compaq X1000. That laptop is black with lot of brushed aluminum, looks like Nissan interior designer designed that laptop, it matches and complements the charcoal interior perfectly.

Pentium M 1.5 Ghz 512 mb, 40 GB 15.4" WIDESCREEN to match the movies to watch on the GO, with a DVD bulit in.
----------
All in all, I like creativity. Neat idea.:4:
Thanks for the compliment, I almost went into depression with some other comments. :2:

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
No problem. Always willing to lend a compliment where one is deserved. You have to be prepared for some of the comments because most people do installs that have much less of an 'in you face' factor, and thats why some people aren't oogling over your most recent mod. I, however, think that criticism is always best when its constructive.

I like the idea, it must be pretty nice to be able to watch a movie in full screen mode. I noticed that some laptops hinges arent very strong during movement. Are your's fairly sturdy? When you go over bumpy roads does the screen move at all?

Are you going to wire the laptop somehow into your speakers? Maybe get some Dolby 5.1 audio in the MO? ;)

You have to be ready for some people to ask you if that is a police unit or not. I think it would be hilarious to wear those huge 'highway trooper' sunglasses and pull up to someone at the light, and start typing on your laptop while staring at them.

Are you going to invest in an aircard so you also have internet options?

Posting on this site from the MO = pretty awesome!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snow MO said:
I, however, think that criticism is always best when its constructive

-------------> That is what I hoped for, and always looking for that on this fiorums....

I like the idea, it must be pretty nice to be able to watch a movie in full screen mod

--------------> However in most states, it is most easy way to get a ticket, if you are caught having a movie being played in the front. For that i am planning a holder in the back too.

I noticed that some laptops hinges arent very strong during movement. Are your's fairly sturdy? When you go over bumpy roads does the screen move at all?

------------> IBM is, have to check out compaq. Damn, new laptops dont come with a serial port, I need for the setup.

Are you going to wire the laptop somehow into your speakers?

-------------> Plans are to use a FM transmitter for that.

I think it would be hilarious to wear those huge 'highway trooper' sunglasses and pull up to someone at the light, and start typing on your laptop while staring at them.

--------------> :)

Are you going to invest in an aircard so you also have internet options?

-----------------> That is a great idea. Hmmmmm interesting potential.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great idea! I have been trying to find an appropriate flat panel monitor to have nicely mounted just above the factory display. Maybe a 7 to 10" size. It would need to be short enough to not interfere with my view out of the windshield. Then integrate a computer into the car with it, using a cordless keyboard and trackball or pressure pad. I had even played with the tablet PC idea. I am very picky about appearence, but love the idea of an integreted computer due to versatility. My idea uses would be: MP3 player, DVD video, Email (when stationary), Reversing Camera and Navigation. The smallest flat panel monitors I can find are 15" and just a bit too large. Any ideas where I might find a smaller monitor? I thought about DVD screens, but the resolution is so poor for the computer.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Costco in Astoria, NY currently have a 10" lcd tv for sale. I think it was about $350.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Mattsmurano....(AND OTHERS WHO WANT IN CAR PC)

I was in the project of building a car compuetr (car putter)...
perhaps this link will do you good:

For smaller thaN 13" cd:
SMALL IN CAR LCD

FOR IN CAR PC brain:
Small FormFactor pc, ideal for car

I am still struggling where to mount the lcd.
I am also struggling with security. The setup will be pretty exposed!
(unless you get a fold in lcd like kenwodd's or philip's)

My setup going to be:
- capucino pc
- lcd touchscreen
- load with navigation software
- load with vehicle telematics software (need to buy obd2 connector for nissan murano).
- internet ready with gprs
- gps navigation (i have ipaq's gps now, will link the antenna to the pc)
- yellow page for address lookup, probably order the cd from McLeods or The Yellowpage.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem with carputer is making sure a proper shutdown is done prior to shutting the car off. LapTop batteries will ensure that you can shutdown after ignition is off, or to place it in standby for short stops. Having a small touch screen is also a great idea too.

There is a great place under the handrest to place a carPuter or laptop

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
That setup looks like a theft waiting to happen...and if it gets stolen try to prove to the insurance carrier that the equipment was in the car. A decent laptop will cost over $1000. I live in New York City and an OEM nav is really the only solution. If the car is parked on the street most amatuer thieves would not know that I had NAV. The integration with the entire dash makes taking only one component useless. The radio is useless without the screen and the screen is useless without the radio. A laptop on the other hand is easy cash on these streets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think it looks, well, I'll just give kudos for forging ahead into new territory. My wife just looked at that and said it was hideous. I guess if you don't share a vehicle with a significant other you can be more experimental.

That bar thing on the right must be anchored into the vehicle somehow? Did you do anything as far as bolts or cutting that would make this permanent? I guess You could put magazines or a terrarium in there if your laptop got ripped off.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
TO CeVEEte and Generator (more)

Ceveete, when you say "there is a place under the armrest to put an lcd", where is this? You mean fold in lcd or lcd-mounted-to-armrest-thus making the cupholder-flip-blocked?
I have been tring to find a good place to mount a small lcd, probably 7"

Generator, yes i agree with you. Having an extra lcd inside the car if not properly concealed, is in a way sending invitation to thieves.
If i ever decide to mount an lcd, it will be removeable, storable and the brain(cpu) will be put inside the armrest.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts