Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
El Pomidoro!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MO is approaching 12.5k since late April. It's always performed wonderfully and consistently until the last week or so.

When driving in the city, the RPMs used to stay ~1200 which contributed also to engine braking when the accelerator was not pressed. Also, when driving up to 50mph, pressing on the accelorator gently kept the RPMs at the same level while speeding up.

Recently, I would press the gas pedal the same gentle way and my RPMs would jump to 2000 and drop back to 1200. When I let the gas go, then it will either drop to 1200 (if above), stay there for a second or two, then drop to 1000, or drop to 1000 from 1200! The net effect is that there is no engine braking and more coasting.

This has been happening pretty consistently so I'm not sure what to make of it. If the CVT can stay at 1200RPM I'd rather have it do that than jump to 2000 each time i had to marginally increase speed.

Anyone else experience this?

Leo

·
Registered
466 Posts
If I'm understanding it right, my CVT has been doing what yours just started doing from the beginning. Unless I apply very little pressure to the gas pedal, the RPM's are usually around 2k RPM's.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I noticed my MO does something simliar regarding the jump from 1000 RPM to 1200 RPM. This seems to happen around 15MPH - 20 MPH. Furthermore around these same speeds I apply gentle pressure to the gas and the MO jumps forward a little bit. Antyhing above these speeds or below no jumping.

I understood this to be from the torque converter???? I'm not sure. I was going to have my dealer look at it but then chickened out. I'm still having them try to resolve me auto looking door (waiting for parts) and the intermitent down channel selector on the steering wheel. IF they can resolve that then I'll move on to something more difficult. :(

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Gonzo said:
I noticed my MO does something simliar regarding the jump from 1000 RPM to 1200 RPM. This seems to happen around 15MPH - 20 MPH. Furthermore around these same speeds I apply gentle pressure to the gas and the MO jumps forward a little bit. Antyhing above these speeds or below no jumping.

I understood this to be from the torque converter???? I'm not sure. I was going to have my dealer look at it but then chickened out. I'm still having them try to resolve me auto looking door (waiting for parts) and the intermitent down channel selector on the steering wheel. IF they can resolve that then I'll move on to something more difficult. :(
You are absolutely correct. The torque converter in the Murano locks up at 18mph.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Gonzo said:

You're right.

Figure that below 18 MPH, you're free wheeling. Coasting like a standard auto tranny with no engine braking.

Above 18 MPH, you will engine brake.

If you hit the gas around 18 MPH, the torque converter will disengage/engage/whatever and it will result in a 'jump' of sorts.

This behavior is normal, but struck me as wrong until I learned better. Figures! :2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have never felt torque converter engage/disengage. When this first was mentioned, with noticeable engine braking and converter release at 20-15 mph, I tested and found I could not really notice these things. In my MO going 50 mph, if I release on the gas the car basically coasts without prominent engine braking. If going down a really steep hill and I lot up off the gas I notice that there must be braking and speed control because the car speeds up only very slowly. Finally, when slowing down and approaching 15-20 mph with foot off the gas there is only the slightest little sense of release. There is no lurching or bucking if I gently apply gas at these low speeds. So I conclude the CVT is not only responsive, but very smooth. I don't object to any of its behavior, in fact, I love it!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Do you apply the gas after the slight release, or before?

If after, you won't feel it. I know I don't. But if I coast down from.. say.. 50 MPH to 20 MPH and then step gently on the gas, I will feel it.

It feels akin to a spring being wound very tightly as you engine brake down, and if you release when the 'spring' is tightest, the reaction is the strongest.

And that's all forgotten once you get below 18 MPH. :p

That's how I see it, at least.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I agree with you Doombringer, but I would say I notice it a little bit more. Perhaps I'm used to my smooooooth shifting in my previously owned car which was a standard.

:bonk:

·
El Pomidoro!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys...

The release of the torque converter below 18MPH or an initial cold start is not what I am talking about... this happens after 25 minutes of highway driving at 70-80mph and appears when I hit city traffic going to school. Today, for example, was fine... just as when I drove it off the lot... tomorrow may be different...

Leo

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
RedPomidor said:
Thanks for the replies guys...

The release of the torque converter below 18MPH or an initial cold start is not what I am talking about... this happens after 25 minutes of highway driving at 70-80mph and appears when I hit city traffic going to school. Today, for example, was fine... just as when I drove it off the lot... tomorrow may be different...

Leo
If it is not the torque converter you are feeling, then I suggest you take your car into the dealer for a checkup. The key is to have them be able to reproduce the problem. They should also check for codes, as the CVT has a history of fluid pressure sensor failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts