Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After completely re-doing my factory sound system (CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS) then I got the idea of upgrading the NAV system (CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS). I finally completed the X-Box to Nav interface. I received final boards from Malaysia on Thursday. Now my goal is to tie it all together. I just received and installed the PAC auxiliary interface. It works great (purchased from audio warehouse). I installed some nice TFT LCD screens in my headrests over the long weekend. The cost was not bad at all. Each screen was $115.00. The weekend coming I will tie the two rear screens and nav screen together so that we can all watch dvd's / x-box / mp3 player. On a side note the x-box now supports visualization plug-ins like g-force so playing mp3's in my car is going to be awesome. Please note the install of the headrest monitors is not complete. I still have to tighten the leather behind monitors.Here are some photos.

I also have developed a circuit to eliminate the DISCLAIMER SCREEN on the Nav system. Hopefully I will get a chance to install that as well. Please note the install of the headrest monitors is not complete. I still have to tighten the leather behind monitors.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Generator... i salute you...

:6: ...
WIll you comercialized it? :)

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
cant wait...let us know when its on your site for sale!:2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
All I can say is...Holy Cow! That is really cool! Now you have Visually Active Headrests. :eek:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very Impressive! :2: :2: :2: :2:

I'm another customer with NAV waiting in the wings.

Any chance you were able to dis-able the speed sensor that "locks" your passenger out (and you if your brave or stupid) from inputting most any information into the NAV while moving or searching for destinations, etc?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lock-out feature does not annoy me like the disclaimer does. I will look into it though. I dont know if the NAV actually uses the speed feedback in its everday calculations. I will let you know though.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Here's a write up I found from a G35 forum whcih makes it sound pretty simple. The access to the Murano's DVD player however is significantly more challenging. (I was just hoping for one solution with everything built in!)

"Disable NAV Interlock that prevents adjustment while driving.

It's easy. Take off the glove box, then find the 3 multiwire plugs that plug into the back of the DVD Rom player. Remove the one farthest toward the passenger side. It will have a white/Green wire there. Cut that wire and put some wire on each end of the cut wire. Run the 2 new wires to a switch. When you want to program while driving, just flip the switch, program away, then flip the switch back. While the switch is off, it will lose your position on the road, since the car will think you are no longer moving, but as soon as you turn it back on it will find you again right away."

(From G-35 Forum)

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almost reached the finish line....

So this weekend I spent a day putting some of the finishing touches on my upgrade. The two attached photos show the xbox playing on the rear and nav monitor simultaneously. Sorry for the fuzzy picture, nav was too far from flash and I was trying to fit all the screens in the photo.

Anyway it works great. This sunday I went to six flags and the kids were on the x-box the whole trip. With the touch of a switch I can toggle whether the NAV screen shows or the x-box shows on the front screen. I drive with the nav screen on, of course. The audio from the x-box is played thru the PAC audio interface if I choose or the kids can listen to DVD's/XBOX on headphone jacks on the rear monitors while I play normal cd's thru the head unit. I have nice control over the inputs and outputs and that suits me just fine as I am a control freak. Hope you like it.

So now thats it's finally complete who wants to be the next guinea pig? Step up folks.....step up.......

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Just as a matter of interest, how much would the whole setup cost, including labor?

Excellent work by the way!

·
4,601 Posts
SWEEET!

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MalayC:

If you were going to go minimalist (no video on the headrests/ just nav screen) the setup would cost as follows:

$Current cost of interface. (had to edit price because I was getting too many references to this post in e-mails)
$Current cost of a 200 watt inverter
$Current cost of X-Box (plus any modifications/ upgrades...upgrades are not necessary though)

Labor is a local commodity that will vary....someone in a well lit shop can do it in less than 3 hours. There are literally less connections to make than if you were installing an alarm in a car. The only thing is you want someone who knows what they are doing. While I found the nav system to be robust (trust me I did some pretty stupid things and I didn't manage to fry it) I would trust only some one who knows how to safely install this to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts