Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something is wrong. When I drive forward, I get a nasty clunk or clank that is wheel speed sensitive, not engine speed sensitive. It's worse when I'm coasting or decelerating (brakes or no brakes it makes the same sound). It does it in neutral as well as drive, but NOT in reverse at all. I can feel it in the steering wheel, but it does not get worse or better if I'm turning the wheel or keeping it straight.

It worries me that's it's the CVT, since it only does it in forward. I dropped it off at the dealer last night so they will look at it today and I'll post what they come up with.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Doubt if it is the CVT Tyler, but anything is possible, of course.
IMO, I would check wheel bearings and half shafts.

It will be interesting to find out since you (self admittedly) drive the wheels off the thing, and always have. ;)

How many miles have you got on it now?

Homer

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it will be interesting. Most people seem to think it would be the CV joints on the front half axles, but I think it would be worse when turning if that was the case.

I have 138,000km (85,000 miles).

What's strange is that the problem developed very suddenly. Everything was fine, then I had to drive on gravel for about 2 miles, and when I got off the gravel I noticed the sound (couldn't tell on the gravel). It's been getting slightly worse since I first noticed it (I was out of town where there is no Nissan dealer, and so have put about 300km on since).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If it makes the sound in neutral, then it cannot be the CVT, since the wheels are not coupled to the transmission in that situation.

I'd suspect a bad wheel bearing, CV joint (yes they can make noise going straight ahead, if only a certain part of the joint or ball bearings are born), debris caught in brake caliper/rotor fins, or maybe a plastic panel that cracked and is rubbing on something.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric L. said:
debris caught in brake caliper/rotor fins, or maybe a plastic panel that cracked and is rubbing on something.
These were some guesses that my father had. We took the front right wheel off and noticed something: the clips that hold the plastic panel that the oil filter is behind were all gone but one, which was very loose. Obviously the dealer had been re-using these clips to the point that they just fell out from being so worn. Shame on them. It wasn't the problem though. We did check all around the vehicle for loose plastic panels, but none were found.

It's most definately a metal on metal sound. Also, if it were debris in the brakes, wouldn't one of the brakes either be stuck on or off? The brakes work fine and there is no pulling to the side at any time.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:

These were some guesses that my father had. We took the front right wheel off and noticed something: the clips that hold the plastic panel that the oil filter is behind were all gone but one, which was very loose. Obviously the dealer had been re-using these clips to the point that they just fell out from being so worn. Shame on them. It wasn't the problem though. We did check all around the vehicle for loose plastic panels, but none were found.

It's most definately a metal on metal sound. Also, if it were debris in the brakes, wouldn't one of the brakes either be stuck on or off? The brakes work fine and there is no pulling to the side at any time.
Sometimes a bent exhaust pipe can also make strange noises when the vehicle is in motion, although it shouldn't be "wheel speed sensitive." Best thing to do might be to take it to a good front end shop, since they tend to specialize in localizing strange noises.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Tyler_Canada-

I find it very interesting that you noticed the problem immediately after driving on the gravel road. What were the conditions? Low speed and level terrain? Spirited driving with some wheel slippage?

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very low speed (25mph), very gentle driving. I only drive hard on pavement, I don't want stone chips.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric L. said:
Sometimes a bent exhaust pipe can also make strange noises when the vehicle is in motion, although it shouldn't be "wheel speed sensitive." Best thing to do might be to take it to a good front end shop, since they tend to specialize in localizing strange noises.
The dealership I've taken it to has proven themselves to me in regards to finding hard to find problems. :)

I had a problem once where my engine would occasionally stall when idling if it was snowing hard. They found the problem when another dealership couldn't after 2 tries.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the transfer case. Dealer quoted $3700 for parts and $1600 for labour, totaling $5300. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Anyone think it would be dangerous to drive it like it is?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Is there *any* way you can bring up the transfer case TSB and get them to meet you halfway on this?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's worth a shot. I can go see them tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Perhaps now is a good time to make your AWD MO a FWD MO.

Good luck, every MO owners worst fear... out of warranty issues on the weak spots of the MO.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Tyler_Canada-

As a last resort I would give a transmission repair center a call and see if they can work on the MO's tranny. I know it is a long-shot, but eventually someone other than Nissan is going to be working on the CVTs. It's only a matter of time. Maybe that time is now.

Installing a rebuilt tranny is going to be a lot less than the $5,300 Nissan is charging.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It's not the tranny joe, it's the transfer case.

Tyler I forgot that you had an AWD.

I think the TSB route might be the way to go. As Eric says, maybe you can get some "good will" help here.

Otherwise what CAN you do?
Fix it and sell it I suppose.
I know I do not intend to keep the Murano beyond my extended warranty. Seems like I'm always making this decision on Japanese cars. Last time it was a Miata. Back to American Iron the next time.
Pity too. I really like the Murano. But a $5300 repair on a 3 year old car? And most of it is because Nissan doesn't want to train mechanics and stock parts? Ridiculous.

Well, we are pulling for you buddy, but I'm afraid I have no words of wisdom. :(

Homer

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I've decided on a course of action. I'll call NNA and try to get good will warranty work done for this. Next summer I'll be trading it in on something else.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
hfelknor said:
It's not the tranny joe, it's the transfer case.

Homer
Thanx Homer. I looked at the cost of repair and automatically assumed it was the entire tranny.

I still can not believe a X-fer case for a MO costs almost four grand. World Parts Express lists the same transfer case for $1,512.76. Why is Nissan charging 144% more than World Parts? It is almost criminal.

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First off, those numbers I posted are Canadian. Secondly, I found one at another online ordering for about $1500 US as well, but then factor in shipping plus currency conversion, and you're pretty close to the $2700 I was quoted. Not to mention my dealer said 2 - 3 days for parts delivery, the place I found it was more than a week. Given that I'm paying $50 a day for a rental, that would cost more than my dealer.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I really hope they can meet you half way in light of the TSB or even better. To me the combination of the posts here and now that there is a TSB is an acknowledgement of the weakness of the transfer case. And maybe that dealership has seen the same. Out of curiosity, did you have AWD lock on at all let alone for "an extended period"?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts