Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that I wanted a black grille. I bought a slightly defective one on ebay for $10 and started ther refinish process. It had some peeling and bubbling on it, as well as some minor scratches. So I sanded it well (I thought) and sprayed some paint on it. Some spots would not take paint. So I sanded them more thoroughy and painted some more. No joy.
At this point I decided to strip all the paint off and start over. I used a toluene based stripper, got rid of the paint and most of the clear coat. This is when I found out what the grill is made of. Actually quite a high quality piece. Naturally, the shell is plastic. Over that is a thin layer of copper, chrome plated. Then clear coat.
I inadvertantly peeled a little of the copper/chrome, which I will have to spot putty to get it level.
Tomorrow I will remove the rest of the clearcoat and paint residue, thoroughly clean the surface and hit it with some primer.
More of the adventure later....

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His grille was probably in better shape going in than mine was.
I'll get there though eventually......

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
His Grill was new

G

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
ekaxel said:
I decided that I wanted a black grille. I bought a slightly defective one on ebay for $10...
Where/when did you find that for $10? I was temped to do the same but couldn't find anything cheap. I think my MO, in black, would look great with a black grill.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Looks sharp, ek.

:)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The original grill is available. The rub is the $23 shipping due to the oversize package. I found out that the one I bought was short weighted and undersized by the seller to cut the shipping cost.
I only want to see $10 for the grille.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts