Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Murano, 52,000 miles on it - will no longer go into reverse! Even my husband is stumped on this one. Its Saturday and the service centers are closed till Monday - of course! Decided to ask here if anyone has heard of this problem.

It will go in forward - no problem. My reverse started acting a bit strange 2 weeks ago - took its time to "enable" the reverse. Now - even if you floor it - it wont move. Just burns something.

We got this car since I have had trouble with 4 other American cars and having to replace tranny's at 70 and 80,000 miles - so my husband said this would NEVER happen to the Murano since it doesnt HAVE a tranny??? Anyway - he had to go on a business trip and I am now stuck with a car that will only go forward!

HELP??? any body else have this problem? Just put 1,600 in the car for service, brakes and tires a week ago - so really do NOT need an expensive repair.....

Crunch - stuck in the boonies of Cleveland, Ohio

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Calm down.
If there is a non repairable probem with the Transmission (Very likely), it is fully covered under warranty. The warranty on the transmission is 5 years or 60,000 miles. You are safe.
Sorry that this is happening, but Japanese cars have bad transmissions too. Some, like Honda's, can have even more transmission problems than American cars.
and tell hubby that you learned something while he was gone.
The CVT in your Murano stands for Continuously Variable TRANSMISSION.

Homer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a bit more calm!

Thanks Homer. Your Mo looks exactly like mine. This is the first thing that has gone wrong with the car - so not complaining - its just why does it have to be the Transmission!! lol.

Ok - so its under warranty? Thought it expired at 36,000 miles - but will take your word for that.

Any idea what it might be since it still goes forward perfectly?

Would a belt slip or break in this CVT thing? Yes - I am blonde - I admit it freely!!

Thanks again - been googling for this problem and not finding anything yet.

Crunch

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
most auto transmissions have problems with reverse first. It is also an indication of low fluid.

Dunno why or what the CVT would be doing to not reverse though.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't have a clue. I would not speculate at this time.
Here's the problem.....
CVT is a "new" technology (At least for this class of car in this country) and as such, there is no program whereby Nissan will even attempt internal repairs to the tranny. Therefore, although there have been several transmission failures here (out of 1000 plus Muranos), we have not been able to build a knowledge base of the thing.
Try like heck to get a loaner (if you need one).
It is not unusual for a transmission repair/replacement to take a couple of weeks. It is almost certain they will have to order one.

The overall warranty on the car is 3yr/36,000.
But the powertrain is 5yr/60,000 so don't worry about it.

Homer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting

Just saw the thread on the failed CVT's - now that I know what they are called!

I just had my 30,000 mile service work done a week ago and since then its gotten worse by the day. Saw in the failed CVT thread another guy that said he had his 30k service work done and then he had CVT problems. I wonder...

Dont know what they do for the 30k service - but it is kindof coincidental....

My transmission failures were always in forward so this is strange that its just the reverse portion. Thats why my husband was totally stumped.

Actually - if its the CVT as you call it - he will be eating crow for a long time since he is the one that picked out this car for me because of the transmission.

Oh this will cost him - lol.

Crunch

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: interesting

crunchberry said:
Oh this will cost him - lol.
Crunch
:21:

On a serious note... I am a little confused. You say your MO has 52,000 miles yet it just had a 30,000 mile service done last week?

-njjoe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
trannys dont like me???

Enforcer said:
Theres always the chance its something simple too like a linkage adjustment according to the SM but ah...I'm dyin here, I just gotta ask...why are you so tough on trannys? :22:

1. I am cute
2. I have a lead foot
3. I am blonde
4. I like to get to the shopping malls - NOW.
5. see number 2
6. Trannys dont like me??
7. I wish to God I knew the answer to this question!!!
8. I do have a 64 convertible mustang that I have NOT wrecked the tranny on!! The ONLY car I have owned that I haven''t killed yet.

·
5,244 Posts
Re: trannys dont like me???

crunchberry said:

1. I am cute
2. I have a lead foot
3. I am blonde
4. I like to get to the shopping malls - NOW.
5. see number 2
6. Trannys dont like me??
7. I wish to God I knew the answer to this question!!!
8. I do have a 64 convertible mustang that I have NOT wrecked the tranny on!! The ONLY car I have owned that I haven''t killed yet.

LOL!:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: interesting

njjoe said:

:21:

On a serious note... I am a little confused. You say your MO has 52,000 miles yet it just had a 30,000 mile service done last week?

-njjoe
1. I am blonde
2. yes I am repeating - but I have NO other excuse for having my 30k service done at 52,000 miles other than I needed new brakes and the Nissan guy said - oh - you haven't had your 30k service done. And I was - oh - do I need service at 30k miles?? What about just giving me my 50k service. Nissan guy said - we dont have a 50k service but we do have a 30k service. So I get the 30k service and in 8,000 miles I supposedly should have my 60k service - did I mention I am blonde? :)

so moral of this story is if you dont get your 30k service done, your cvt tranny decides to get even with you and only go in one direction......

·
5,244 Posts
crunchberry,

1. you are blond
2. you said it
3. you are not "typical" blond ;)
4. it really is an interesting discovery - 30k service and CVT troubles
5. I do not think 30k service has anything to do with CVT problems, unless Nissan dealer takes............oops! I almost said too much!
6. 30k service is not much more than oil change ad some "inspections".

I really am interested in what really happened to your CVT. We know so little of failure modes of these type of transmissions.....Nissan keeps "tight lips"...........

PS. You are anything but a "stereotypic: blond! And no, I am not chauvinistic, some of my best workmates are women ....

·
Registered
747 Posts
30K Service

I am wondering if they changed the CVT fluid at the 30K service. Isn't that one of the major features in the 30K service, or is that the 60K?? Maybe possible that they did not put in CVT Fluid but regular Tranny Fluid.:eek:

·
Registered
747 Posts
CVT Fluid

Okay I looked at alot of different posts on this board and it seems as though the CVT fluid can be changed at 30K or 60K, but there is no clear answer. Crunchberry - If I were you I would look at your receipt from the service you just had done and see if they messed with the Tranny. Just in case there are any issues with them fixing your problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kris said:
crunchberry,

1. you are blond
2. you said it
3. you are not "typical" blond ;)
4. it really is an interesting discovery - 30k service and CVT troubles
5. I do not think 30k service has anything to do with CVT problems, unless Nissan dealer takes............oops! I almost said too much!
6. 30k service is not much more than oil change ad some "inspections".

I really am interested in what really happened to your CVT. We know so little of failure modes of these type of transmissions.....Nissan keeps "tight lips"...........

PS. You are anything but a "stereotypic: blond! And no, I am not chauvinistic, some of my best workmates are women ....

Actually - I swear I can be the blondest person on the planet sometimes. I actually have TWO engineering degrees and now have an accounting degree - but my husband has NO idea how in the world I pulled those off. I really dont know either sometimes! I like accounting a lot better than doing blueprints and plant layouts thats for sure. but boy do you lose it fast if you dont use it.

I am going to check my reciept on the tranny fluid. Also will let you guys know what they say about it goign into reverse only.

I appreciate the help VERY much.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Ms. Crunchberry-

If you could, please take a look at the paperwork from your recent 30,000 mile service. I would be very interested to see if 1) there is any mention of the CVT or Trans fluid being changed, and 2) any mention of "MATIC D" or "NS-2" under the materials or parts-used section.

In many shops, the task of changing oil and fluids is given to the least experienced workers, leaving the diagnostic and major work to the experienced mechanics. It is possible some knucklehead may have replaced your CVT fluid with the wrong tranny fluid. That would be hard to prove without actually sampling the fluid, but the information on your paperwork could give us some idea if that scenario is plausible.

If there is no evidence of the wrong trans fluid being used, it's not a problem for you because Nissan will still replace the CVT under the 60,000 mile Powertrain warranty. However, if there is evidence that they used the wrong fluid, then you may have a legal case against them, or at the least be able to negotiate a free "upscale" loaner car for the duration of the repair.

BTW-I assume the 64 Mustang is a "garage-queen", correct? I figure that's the reason it's tranny has lasted so long. :2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
njjoe said:
Ms. Crunchberry-

BTW-I assume the 64 Mustang is a "garage-queen", correct? I figure that's the reason it's tranny has lasted so long. :2:

-njjoe
Ok - checked my paperwork - they did the radiator, wiper blades and inspected for the 30k service - not much. Wow - 289$ for that.

As for my mustang - my dad bought it in 67 and yes - its a garage queen. He gave it to me for my wedding present - yes he was an incredible father.

But the clutch and stick need to be replaced and its at 82k miles.... Thats not considered the tranny is it?? Please tell me its not - I am just now connecting the dots.....

:eek:

Crunch

·
5,244 Posts
In general there are two types of “trannies”: automatic and manual.

Automatics have torque converters and do not require clutch.

Manual transmissions are commonly referred to as “Sticks”.

If you need to have “Stick and clutch” done…….hm…….Back to tranny!

You can add this one to your list…

Sorry to be a messenger…

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Ms. Crunchberry-

Don't sweat it. The clutch on your manual transmission Mustang is a consumable component, similar to the brakes. The friction material on the clutch plates eventually wears thin, which causes the plates to slip. Replacing the clutch is a relatively inexpensive task (as compared to replacing the whole tranny).

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 40 Posts