Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 1/2 months and 12,000 miles into a great relationship..and she leaves me stranded! I was about an hour outside of Montgomery Alabama, which puts me 4 hours from home, when the battery and brakes warning lights come on. I was in the middle of nowhere. I stopped to make sure the breaks were working, and to check to make certain nothing visible was wrong with the battery, like loose connections. Couldn't find anything. I hoped for the best and continued into Montgomery where I know there is a Nissan dealership. 15 miles out of town and the engine dies. Naturally it is almost 4:30 pm. I called the dealership and they dispatched a tow truck. By the time the truck got me to the dalership they were closed. The service center does not open until Monday. So I had to leave my car and put the keys in the night drop. Then rent a car to get me home. Now I am on pins and needles until Monday, when hopefully somebody can tell me whats wrong with my babay!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Sounds like the Alternator is bad.

Shouldn't take long to diagnose.

Here's hoping they have one.

Failing that, here's hoping Nissan North America has one.

Homer

PS - boy, you don't mess around do you?:D
4 1/2 months and 12K miles!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The alternator was my first thought also, although why the brake warning light was also on baffles me!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It's done that way on purpose.
It is the "code" for a bad alternator, if you will.

There was a little outbreak of bad alternators a few weeks ago.
Big problem. No alternators in stock. Anywhere.
Then they all came in and MOs that had been in the shops for a few weeks were back on the road.
Now, if they shipped in a few extra.......................

Homer

·
Registered
487 Posts
At this point, you'd think Nissan would be issuing a recall.

Every day, it seems like I see a new post on either this board or FA about alternator failures...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Doombringer said:
At this point, you'd think Nissan would be issuing a recall.

Every day, it seems like I see a new post on either this board or FA about alternator failures...
It took over 2 years for Nissan to issue a recall on alternators for the 4th gen Maximas. There was an outbreak of bad alternators reported on the Maxima.org BBS in 1999 and it wasn't until 2001 that the recall was announced.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why am I not surprised...

I'll ammend my statement. Every day, I see some mention of Nissan's overall incompetence :p

I hate to knock 'em, they're doing a bang-up job for the most part, but the SAT issue, now a history of bad alternators...

Still better than Ford I guess!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts