Discussion Starter #1
pulley
ypipe
tips

I'm working on fitting the 350z muffler..........we'll see how it goes

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Where did you get the new y pipe? Is it custom?

Have you noticed performance and/or sound improvements?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow, ok local person, you know there will be others (Jaycen) whom will be curious about this too, as well as myself. Let us know more details please i.e. cost,HP, etc.

·
Registered
541 Posts
where did you have the work done? z tips look good, they maybe could have stuck out a bit more, hard to tell from the pics though. I'm curious how much all the other stuff improved performance.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Awesome! Do you notice a change in sound with the new Y pipe? Nice tips!

·
Registered
541 Posts
sorry i dont know much about this stuff, what is the pulley for and what are the benefits. can you explain the benefits of the y pipes as well :confused:

·
Registered
470 Posts
What is the purpose of changing to a smaller pulley? The exhaust system changes look good.

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ztips

Jay the TIps come out just enough to flow with the lower bumper. I think it would look funny if it stuck out more. I think they look perfect. They should have had these stock.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
old ypipe

side shot with a marker to show how thin it is. Its about 1.5" and about 3" wide..... You can see why i decided to change it....I thought it looked really restrictive on the flow of the exhaust...I could be wrong tho....

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nismo....no i bought the SWA pulley....it was cheaper and from what i read somewhere in the Altima forums it had better gains than the Unorthodox pulley.

Well I just took a spin around my neighbor hood this morning, DAYM...It pulls even harder now...The car revs more freely and it feels lighter. The 50 degree temp. outside sure helped too! and reseted the ECU last night. anyhow....it feels great :D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I have a Cattman SS Y-pipe on my 97 Maxima and its excellent. Nissan builds such restrictive ypipes! The aftermarket Ypipes eliminate the restrictive precats as well (although officially its for "offroad" use only to make them emissions compliant).

Egads, the look of the stock "squashed" ypipe collector section is horrifying to look at. Assuming dimensions of 1.5 tall by 3" wide, thats only 4.5 square inches cross section. Contrast this to a standard 2-1/4" cylindrical pipe's cross-sectional area of approximately 4 square inches, I suppose this is an improvement, but there is also more friction from the interaction with pipe perimeter/circumference to deal with - (1.5+1.5+3+3) = 9 for the Murano vs (3.14*2.25) = 7.06 for the cylindrical pipe.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i just took a ruler to it...and its 1.25 by 3.....Whats worse is the Y section

This is 1.5 but it gets crimped down to a inch...maybe less then goes in to the 1.25x3" flattend section..

anyhow....yeah i have a stillen race pipe thats supposed to come in today....I wanna see if it will fit the murano...I bought it used for 150 from some guy in the altima forums...It takes out the big cat at the end...so you still keep the 2 pre cats....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
b0xdesigns said:
well i just took a ruler to it...and its 1.25 by 3.....Whats worse is the Y section

This is 1.5 but it gets crimped down to a inch...maybe less then goes in to the 1.25x3" flattend section..

anyhow....yeah i have a stillen race pipe thats supposed to come in today....I wanna see if it will fit the murano...I bought it used for 150 from some guy in the altima forums...It takes out the big cat at the end...so you still keep the 2 pre cats....

Actually if you have any hopes of staying emissions legal, you will need to somehow keep the stock cat. You can probably get away with losing the precats, but you'll fail emissions (esp in California) without a cat (even if they do not perform a visual inspection, your NOx CO2 will be very very high).

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eric L. said:

Actually if you have any hopes of staying emissions legal, you will need to somehow keep the stock cat. You can probably get away with losing the precats, but you'll fail emissions (esp in California) without a cat (even if they do not perform a visual inspection, your NOx CO2 will be very very high).

You know whats weird tho..is that theres no sensors after the last cat...Only at the two pre cats

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
b0xdesigns said:

You know whats weird tho..is that theres no sensors after the last cat...Only at the two pre cats
Really? I thought there were 3 O2 sensors on every VQ V6 engine - one on each precat, and one after the regular cat. The two sensors on the precats are called "front O2 sensors" and are distinguished by left bank and right bank. The rear one is just called rear O2 sensor. This I gotta check in the FSM...

Just checked the FSM:
The Murano has FOUR heated oxygen sensors. There is one on each of the left and right hand bank exhaust manifolds. And there is one on each of the exhaust pipes immediately after the two catalytic converters (yes there are two cats, they are not precats). What looks like a large cat after the two pipes converge is not a cat - its called the "exhaust front tube" in the FSM, presumably its just an extra flex section.

I would think removing either of these would seriously affect emissions and cause you to fail your smog check big time. I remember having to drive my Maxima around the block a few times to get the cat nice and hot so I could pass emissions without my precats. You cannot do this on the Murano, since it has no precats.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts