Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well even though I had issues and concerns I bought my 2015 Murano platinum. I know this is my 2nd post but I feel this is important for others to hear as well as to see if I am wrong for my feelings.

My dealer is Abeloff Nissan in Bartonsville Pa.

1. Talked to this dealer about the specific optioned Murano and he said he had one but the owner was driving it. He told us it was the top of the line with all the options that we were looking for. We went in after he got the car back from the owner. When we got there it didnt have the options he said it had. That was a little disappointing.

2. After negotiating on a price we finally agreed to the price my salesman offered. This was done over the phone as we were dealing with the dealer for a few days about this car. We agreed on this price. 1 hr later the salesman calls us back and said the general manager cannot honor the price he gave us. That was wrong.

3. After long talks with the wife we decided to buy the car. We went in and started doing some paper work and financing came up. He said , your not financing through Nissan? We said we are looking around for the best rate. He then said if we don't finance through Nissan it's going to be $500 more to the price of the car. I said why tell us now? Why is this the 1st we are hearing this? He said his manager said they don't need to disclose that information unless we weren't using them. I said that's it, 3rd strike. He said let me talk to the manager. He came back and said what if we offer 0% financing. We said we would accept that and finance through Nissan. 1/2hr later the finance lady came out to talk to us and she said they can't do 0%. It was a July offer and it was then Aug. 2nd. Even though we have been dealing with this salesman for over a week. We then saw our salesman and told him. He said that's crazy and he will get us the 0%. He said he spoke to the manager and got the ok before telling us we can have the 0%. The next day he called us and said we can't have the 0% and it's now .9%. Not terrible, but it's an additional 10 dollars a month on our payment. Now I am feeling really pissed.

4. One more day goes by since we are pissed but still really like this vehicle. My wife and I decide to buy the car. Even with all these issues that we had with the dealer. So today we went to buy it. After spending time with the salesman to go over the car and manuals, we then had to see the financing lady to finalize the deal. She went over everything she had and at the end the last thing she wanted to go over was the warranty. Nissan gives a 3 yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 yr 60,000 mile drivetrain. She then was breaking it down in more detail. She said we get 12 months 12,000 miles bumper to bumper and then 2yr 24,000 defect warranty. I immediately stopped here and said, what? I said I don't get 3yr 36k bumper to bumper? She said yes but it's technically 1yr 12k bumper to bumper and 2 yr 24k defect only warranty. Which is total 3yr 36k. I told her that's crazy. I asked her if anyone has this same concern and she said I am the 1st to bring this concern to the table.
I have bought a bunch of new cars through different manufacturers and never heard this. What do you think?

I know this is a long read. Please give me your thoughts. Especially about Nissans 3yr 36k mile b to b. And I know, after all these red flags, why did I still buy the Murano. I am asking myself that......

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is this a pre-owned vehicle? You said something about an 'owner' in no. 1... Or, were you referring to the owner of the dealership?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was referring to the owner of the dealership. The car was listed as a dealer demo due to it have a couple of miles on it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. After we got to strike #3 I wanted to leave. My wife wanted this car over any other she has seen. This is her car. The last car she bought I had some say and I influenced he to get. To this day I don't hear the end of it. So this one, she got what she wanted. Me I would of walked out. Also this dealer was giving us 13k for our trade while other dealers offered a lot less.

What do you guys think of the warranty? That Nissan gives 1yr 12k mile on bumper to bumper and the remainder of the 36k or 3 yr it's defect only.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am sorry for the way you were treated in buying your Murano, but with all due respect to you and your wife, you not only allowed it, but encouraged it.

I sold cars, ran a dealership, and managed the finance end for a lot of years. Regardless of the great atmosphere, polite greeters, nice apologetic sales person, free coffee, soft drinks and snacks; you are entering a contest you need to do your best to win when you step into a new car dealership intending to buy a car. The thing to remember at ANY dealership - you can only believe what is in writing and signed by a manager, if they lie or renege on anything, no matter how insignificant you must call them on it - immediately. If you don't, they will continue to test you, and if unchallenged, they will take every cent you have (or don't have, over-financing you into a real "upside down deal"). If an employee says they don't have the authority to keep a promise, refuse to deal with them, and go up the food chain, complain, threaten, throw a fit if you need to. It is just like Las Vegas, keep reminding yourself that your chances of truly winning are slim indeed, and that big beautiful dealership, the owners million dollar house, expensive boat and trips to Europe all came from people who didn't do their homework or didn't "grind" them hard enough on the deal they got. The dealer is not going to give you a good deal because you are "nice people"; you have to firmly insist on it. Educating yourself on trade values, invoice amounts, rebates, financing, your credit (if financing) is essential, otherwise you are what is referred to as "a barefoot pilgrim" and your ignorance will be used to the dealer's advantage. Using a second or even third dealer in the buying process to keep the profit margin low is a technique that may help you if you have the right temperament to deal with two or three different dealers at the same time.

I bought our Murano from the "#1 Nissan Dealer in the Phoenix area", and after four hours making the deal, turning down their every possible attempt to sell ADP (additional dealer profit) items, the finance manager had the audacity to insist that we buy a paint protection plan, supposedly because the sun in our area will ruin any paint job in a few years. My wife had enough at that point and asked "Is this dealership here to sell us the car or all the other crap that we have had to say no to - if we don't finish this up in the next fifteen minutes, we are done!" And she stood up and walked out of the finance office. I just shrugged and said, "Well?" That approach has worked for us numerous times because the dealer is there primarily to sell cars, the other stuff is an additonal opportunity for profit.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds like well informed advice. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jdedgewood your saying we deserved getting treated this way? I guess I didn't see that. I don't think we deserved to be treated this way.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I hate buying cars. That's why I have only owned 10 cars in my 48 years of driving and why I only buy a new car every 4 - 6 years. As I have gotten older, I won't put up with their crap, and I have walked out several times. Most times, they call me back in a day or 2, and a couple times we reloaded and I did buy a car from that particular dealer. My goal is to always have the deal done, from start to finish, in 3 hours. Take longer, I'm gone. I arrive at the dealer at 9 am, and I better be out by noon and eating my lunch!

Bottom line is you don't have to put up with that BS, and you certainly don't have to buy a car from any particular dealer. They make cars every day, and you can get what you want without undue hassle.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Looks likes you were lied to at every step of the deal.

Like others have stated, I would have walked well before step #3 .

Wait until you need Nissan warranty service, then the lies really begin!

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I will be reading this post every time I walk into a dealership. Great insight.

I am sorry for the way you were treated in buying your Murano, but with all due respect to you and your wife, you not only allowed it, but encouraged it.

I sold cars, ran a dealership, and managed the finance end for a lot of years. Regardless of the great atmosphere, polite greeters, nice apologetic sales person, free coffee, soft drinks and snacks; you are entering a contest you need to do your best to win when you step into a new car dealership intending to buy a car. The thing to remember at ANY dealership - you can only believe what is in writing and signed by a manager, if they lie or renege on anything, no matter how insignificant you must call them on it - immediately. If you don't, they will continue to test you, and if unchallenged, they will take every cent you have (or don't have, over-financing you into a real "upside down deal"). If an employee says they don't have the authority to keep a promise, refuse to deal with them, and go up the food chain, complain, threaten, throw a fit if you need to. It is just like Las Vegas, keep reminding yourself that your chances of truly winning are slim indeed, and that big beautiful dealership, the owners million dollar house, expensive boat and trips to Europe all came from people who didn't do their homework or didn't "grind" them hard enough on the deal they got. The dealer is not going to give you a good deal because you are "nice people"; you have to firmly insist on it. Educating yourself on trade values, invoice amounts, rebates, financing, your credit (if financing) is essential, otherwise you are what is referred to as "a barefoot pilgrim" and your ignorance will be used to the dealer's advantage. Using a second or even third dealer in the buying process to keep the profit margin low is a technique that may help you if you have the right temperament to deal with two or three different dealers at the same time.

I bought our Murano from the "#1 Nissan Dealer in the Phoenix area", and after four hours making the deal, turning down their every possible attempt to sell ADP (additional dealer profit) items, the finance manager had the audacity to insist that we buy a paint protection plan, supposedly because the sun in our area will ruin any paint job in a few years. My wife had enough at that point and asked "Is this dealership here to sell us the car or all the other crap that we have had to say no to - if we don't finish this up in the next fifteen minutes, we are done!" And she stood up and walked out of the finance office. I just shrugged and said, "Well?" That approach has worked for us numerous times because the dealer is there primarily to sell cars, the other stuff is an additonal opportunity for profit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts