Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've been busy. This past weekend, I finished my speaker/amp/sub upgrade, and installed my Grubbs sirius hardware. I have to tell you, I can't wipe this stupid smile off my face. I'm in my silver '04 MO at least 3 hours a day commuting, and am I extremely happy with the results. Nothing like great tunes to help melt away the miles.
As far as the satellite install, here's how mine went. I started by removing the spare, then I removed the 2 storage bins on each side of the spare, but you really don't have to. All that does is let you lift up that plastic curtain hiding the amp. If I had to do it over again, I would have just made 2 cuts in the plastic so you can lift it with the bins in place.
As for mounting the receiver, I only used one bolt to secure it. It's a small box, so I figured that was enough to hold it down. I attached some of the foam that came with it to the bottom of the receiver, to protect the box as it sits on top of a bolt. The pre-wired harness was taped to another line hidden behind the Boise amp. Took a little fishing around, but found it pretty quick. Attached the ground wire to the bolt in the middle, and that was that.
For the antenna, I mounted it on the roof. I didn't want to cut any metal (as per install instructions), so I ran the wires into the black plastic tube/line on the left (this one contains the brake wires, the one on the right contains the washer fluid line). I made a strait cut about an inch long from the bottom, careful not to cut any of the wires inside. Then I disconnected the plastic tube/line from the car so I could play with it easier. then came the fun part, getting those plastic connectors the end of the antenna wires through. It took some effort, almost turning the plastic tube inside out over them, but I was able to snake them through (one at a time). When all was done, I came back and filled the hole with some black epoxy.
After that, running the wires behind the rain gutter plastic was a piece of cake. 10 minutes on the phone with sirius, and I was golden.
The hardest part (for me anyway) of the install was getting the tape on, the one that holds the wires down near the roof. The wires kept shooting off in all different directions. It would have helped to have another set of hands at this point, but I got it done.
As for the speaker upgrades, I went with a pair of MB Quart RCE 216s in the front, mounted the crossovers up under the dash on the passenger side, a JL Audio 12w3 sub in the back in a sealed Qlogic box, and a JL Audio 300/4 amp under the front passenger seat to drive them (bridged the rear outputs for the sub). The rear speakers are still stock, powered by the Bose amp, and they are doing an OK job at filling in the rear. I might replace those in the future, but for now, the system sounds pretty sweet. Its not going to wake the dead, but I can crank it up when I want to with very little distortion. I have the gain on the tweeters set to -6db. I'm going to try it at -4 to see if it lightens it up a bit.
Thanks to all you more knowledgeable folks for the wisdom and courage to undertake this little adventure.
Peace,
Glenn

·
Registered
73 Posts
thanks for the Sirius installation update. I just bought an '04. Are you saying that the Bose radio is prewired for Sat and that the connecting 'harness' is already connected at the radio head unit end? I didn't know that. I just assumed that the connection would still have to be made at the radio and would entail removing the radio to install it.

What sirius unit did you use? And how much did you pay for it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
lawbroker said:
thanks for the Sirius installation update. I just bought an '04. Are you saying that the Bose radio is prewired for Sat and that the connecting 'harness' is already connected at the radio head unit end? I didn't know that. I just assumed that the connection would still have to be made at the radio and would entail removing the radio to install it.

What sirius unit did you use? And how much did you pay for it?

Thanks!
Mine is an 04 and is prewired for sat but I do not have sat. While installing my PAC audio I pulled the radio out and noticed the Sat wire harness was already plugged into the back.

·
Registered
202 Posts
lawbroker said:
Are you saying that the Bose radio is prewired for Sat and that the connecting 'harness' is already connected at the radio head unit end?
The '03 Muranos are the only ones that didn't come pre-wired for satellite radio. If you look behind the rear seats (behind the flap at the base of the seat), you should see the amp for the stereo system, and the tuner end of the satellite radio wiring harness should be there, as well, I believe. So, if you have an '04 or later, all you need is the tuner and antenna, and you're good to go!

Jeff

·
Registered
73 Posts
Where is the best place to buy the tuner? Is there only one compatible tuner (OEM) or are there numerous choices? I spoke with someone today at the local Circuit City, and he said that neither Circuit City or Best Buy sells the proper tuners. I notice that Grubbs has one for about $285, but I was hoping to find one cheaper.

·
4,664 Posts
You can only buy the tuner from Nissan or Infiniti dealers. It's made by Clarion for Nissan, and not available anywhere else. No other tuner is compatible if you want the integrated display and steering wheel controls to function with it.

Originally it was a kit, which consisted of the tuner and antenna, now they sell them separate, so you can choose your antenna style.

The tuner is designed with separate terrestrial and satellite connections, so the best antennas for it have the two connections. A little less performance can be obtained with a single wire antenna and a splitter. This shouldn't be a big deal, unless you live far north.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Lawbreaker...I mean Lawbroker,
I paid 284.99 for the tuner, 28.99 for the antenna, and 13.61 for shipping. With Grubbs, you get free activation and 3 months free. When you call Sirius, you give them the tuner id #, and they can see the free deal. I went with the 2 year plan, which includes another 3 months of service. So, for 271, you get 30 months of tunes, tunes, and more tunes. I haven't gotten to any of the entertainment channels yet, just some great rock, oldies, reggae, and smooth jazz. Also, you can listen on-line, just the music (no news or entertainment). Great for at work.
Peace

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey jaak,

Or anybody else in the know...

I have an '03 with the Bose system. If I get the Sirius tuner and antenna from Nissan, would the tuner-to-head cable from Grubbs let the tuner and head talk and give steering wheel control?

Or, better yet, would the FX harness (that the Nissan dealer sez costs < $30) do the tuner-to-head trick?

The boss lady is looking at getting Sat in the Mo for my birthday next spring. If I make it that far....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts