Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black Murano is close to six months old. I'ved continue to use "Premium fuel" and continue to enjoy the smooth ride and power of my 2006 Murano.

Get your calculator out. When I accumulate 120 or miles, I head for the gas station to fill my tank up. It cost me $23.50. As of today, our premium gas is at $3.33 per gal. So how many miles I'm getting per gallon? "Unfortunately" I always have my A/C on.

:confused:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
That equates to 17 miles per gallon.

I am assuming you don't do much steady-state highway driving.

-njjoe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Njjoe... 17 miles per gallon!! What does Nissan say the 2006 MO's about miles per gallon?

Maybe I should open my windows instead of using my A/C and see if I can improve on that 17 miles per gallon... :3:

·
5,244 Posts
Paniolo

where do you live? I was in Honolulu last year for business for a week or so and was amazed how heavy the traffic was. If thats the case 17 mph is to be expected. Sorry, but that how it is....

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Paniolo-

Don't sweat it. Your MO is still relatively new, so I am assuming it is still not fully broken in. From what I have read on this forum, the fuel efficiency reaches a plateau around 10,000 miles. Give it some time (and miles).

-njjoe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Njjoe for that encouragment... Anyway I am really enjoying my MO..

:2:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haha~ That's funny "get your calculator out".
17 mpg is better than my 15 mpg.
Rent hummer for a day, fill up gas, and go around some blocks (don't forget to get your calculator out.) LOL..
Overall MO is still bang for the buck SUV, enuff said~

NZM

·
5,244 Posts
Last 2 weeks my wife was comuting only to work - 7 miles one way in stop and go traffic, AC on (95+ outside, 70 inside!). She is getting 14.5 in her FX35! talk about fuel economy.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I went from averaging 19 mpg to now 17.5 since I hit over 20k miles. I live in Southern California and I've resorted to driving my husband's far less interesting Honda accord in order to cut down on the gas cost. Today filled up at a fabulous $3.55/gal to the tune of over $75.

I travel a great deal so most of my trips in my Murano are the 75 miles each way to the airport on the highway, so I am very disappointed to not be making the 20mpg that was listed on the car when I bought it.

I love love love the styling, the way the car drives, the size (not too big, not too small) ... but this gas mileage issue will probably force me to trade it in. I was so happy with this car the first year I owned it, but now I just don't know.

I sure wish Nissan would release even one vehicle that is forward-thinking on gas mileage. Do they even have a research department looking at this issue? How can they think with gas prices this high that we will continue buying a car that performs this poorly??

I did at least buy a terra pass to try to assuage my conscience, but it sure doesn't deal with the cost.

:-((

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
kelangst-

I am by no means a Murano expert, but I would think 20 MPG on the highway would be easy to achieve. How fast/aggressive do you drive? Have you checked the parking brake? :D

-njjoe

·
Registered
389 Posts
Kelangst, I'm in SoCal also and I average about 19 - 20 mpg combined. All highway, I'll get about 20 or 21 mpg, but that's usually moving along at 65-70 mph. At 75-85 mph, I'm getting around 19-20 mpg.

What I've noticed is that my fuel mileage is better in winter. I don't know if the reformulated summer blend gasolines are to blame or not, but the difference in mileage is noticeable.

I have swapped with my wife to help save fuel. I driver her little MB C-class hatchback now and she uses the MO during the week. We use the MO on weekends almost exclusively. That seems to work best to help maximize mileage in our household. I can empathize with the $75 fill-ups as I'm in the same boat. But for what it's worth, filling up the little C-class is an eye-opening $60 experience also.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the reply RTKing - much better than the parking brake question! :mad: (I love that almost as much as the 'are you sure it is plugged in?' question on IT help desks.... unfortunately I have driven once with it on- doh! ;) )

I think it also has to do with the heat this time of year. I was paying real close attention today on my trip between San Diego and Anaheim and noticed that the closer to Anaheim I got, the hotter it got, the higher the pressure in the tires (went from 33 in SD to 37 in Anaheim due to temperature on the road - usually stays around 33- 35 in SD), and the lower the gas mileage. Varied by about 3 mpg at the same speed due to the 14 degree temperature change. I tried to leave the A/C at 78 instead of the normal 72. Also tried to leave the cc on instead of varying the speed as much.

Still never got her better than 20mpg, but 19.5 is better than 17.5.

It is what it is I suppose.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
kelangst-

Let's see if I can make up for the "parking brake" remark.

How many miles do you have on your MO? History on the MO has shown that fuel economy will continue to improve until it reaches a plateau around 10,000 miles.

The MO's fuel economy is also very sensitive to speed. I can get 29 MPG with a very steady foot at 60 MPH. Bump it up to 75 MPH and the MPGs settle around 21.

Do you use Premium fuel? It has been proven that the MO will exhibit better highway fuel economy on 93 octane. With the incremental cost of Premium shrinking, it is cost-effective to go with high octane.

Raising the HVAC temperature a few degrees will have little or no impact on fuel efficiency. The cabin temp is controlled by tempering the air with cool air from the AC and hot air from the heater core. When the ambient air temperature is greater than the desired cabin temp, the AC compressor is engaged the majority of the time. The only way to achieve an increase in efficiency would be to turn it off completely, but then you need to open the windows and a whole new debate opens up.

And don't forget, a parking brake can kill your mileage. :D

-njjoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
My cool car is a 2004, so I have 22400 miles. I use premium Phil76 or Chevron high octane. I live in SoCal in summer- was 94 degrees in Anaheim, so no luck on driving without the ac. Thanks for the tip on how the ac is engaged - I'll stick with a comfortable level then.

Was going steady 70 mph with cruise engaged just to test - and people of course zooming by me as I drove like a grandma but seemed like the thing to do.

No offense taken on the parking brake comment. hey, if ya know - I uh... had never done that ... then I would have a right to be cranky. <Sigh- hangs head in shame.> ;-)

I also am very dilligent about the oil changes and the tire pressure.

So no worries - based on enforcer's links and the comments I see here, looks like I'm doing mostly what I can.

;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts