Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Murano

Ok, here it goes..... (by the way, Kick ass forum here)

My son decided to make my Bose 6 CD changer into a piggy bank and started putting dimes in the cassette player while I was cleaning my car.

Long story short, my wife used the car the next day and called me telling me that the radio was smoking.

After the smoke cleared, there was no sound. The display works and you could see the stations, CD tracks, volume level, but no sound. So I took it upon myself to remove the radio from the dash to take out any coins. No good. same thing. I did notice a dime in the circuit board behind the panel which may have shorted the radio or "something" .

I need help. I'm out of warrany. If it's the radio, then I will replace it, but I don't know if it's the amp or something else.

So my questions are:

- Where is the amp located so I could test it or replace it.

- What else can I check?

- Should I just replace the whole unit minus the amp?

- Where can I find a replacement radio? (cheap) (i checked ebay)

Thanks to everyone in advance.

-D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add this question:

- Is there a fuse I could check and replace?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The amp is actually behind the spare tire in the trunk area. Most likely the head unit short circuited, and your amp is fine.

I've seen BOSE head units on ebay, you might try that instead of the dealership.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Picture of component locations.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply.

When you say "head unit" , do you mean the radio?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
D2Krules said:
Thank you for your reply.

When you say "head unit" , do you mean the radio?
Yes, the radio part with all the buttons and knobs. The BOSE uses a non-amplified head unit, and the BOSE amp is actually in the trunk, behind the spare tire (and underneath the rear seat). So if the amp burned out, you'd get smoke coming from the back, not the head unit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. Now to find the head unit. You think they sell the front circuit panel only without the radio or do they need to sell the whole package (radio, cd player, etc)

I'm assuming it's the front panel circuitry that burnt out. Not the physical radio.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I agree with Eric, I think it is just the head unit that has a fried circuitboard. If you actually had smoke coming out of there, then that would NOT be a simple fuse job.

I also agree with the e-bay idea. Try to find a used one. Check junk yards in your area, or even as the dealer if they have one (or could get you one for cheap) that you could install yourself. OR, you could look for a completely different stereo to put in there, keeping in mind that you might want something that will interface properly with the screen and steering wheel controls.

And Eric, you should say that the amp is in FRONT of the spare tire, not behind. It's in the space between the rear seats and the spare tire (at least on the 03-05, there is some talk on another thread that the 06 moved it somewhere else but I don't remember exactly where).

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you have comprehensive insurance, you could have the dealer fix it. or any shop for that matter.
Comprehensive (At least mine) would cover it, less the deductible. I always carry $0 deductible on my comprehensive. It is cheap insurance.

Any insurance agent would understand the damage a son can do. At least up to the age of 30 or so.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Corin said:
And Eric, you should say that the amp is in FRONT of the spare tire, not behind. It's in the space between the rear seats and the spare tire (at least on the 03-05, there is some talk on another thread that the 06 moved it somewhere else but I don't remember exactly where).
Yeah, thats right. I was thinking about it from "looking into the trunk standing at the back" point of view. My bad!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Homer why the 30 year limit?

:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyone for their input.

I'm still looking for a junk yard that has a murano but no luck, Ebay has Canada deals, and I'm scared in calling the dealer but now curious about the price.

hfelknor said:
If you have comprehensive insurance, you could have the dealer fix it. or any shop for that matter.
Comprehensive (At least mine) would cover it, less the deductible. I always carry $0 deductible on my comprehensive. It is cheap insurance.

Any insurance agent would understand the damage a son can do. At least up to the age of 30 or so.

Homer
Interesting Homer, I'm going to check about that insurance. I have FULL coverage, but don't know about the comprehensive. I'm in NJ.

I will keep everyone posted on my venture even if it is a boring one. =)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
D2Krules-

Check out this website - JunkyardDog.com. http://www.junkyarddog.com/

Mr3Putt posted the link in another thread earlier today. It is a website that let's you put in information on the part(s) you want and the salvage yards in the region email you with any hits.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
njjoe said:
D2Krules-

Check out this website - JunkyardDog.com. http://www.junkyarddog.com/

Mr3Putt posted the link in another thread earlier today. It is a website that let's you put in information on the part(s) you want and the salvage yards in the region email you with any hits.

Good luck.

-njjoe
Thanks njjoe!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
question:

Can someone tell me where the radio fuse is located. I'm curious. I just want to check it. I couldn't find it in the regular fuse box under the steering.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
D2Krules-

Earlier in this thread.Eric L. posted a diagram indicating the location of the fuses.

-njjoe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
njjoe said:
D2Krules-

Earlier in this thread.Eric L. posted a diagram indicating the location of the fuses.

-njjoe

Forgive my ignorance, I see 2 fuse boxes in that diagram, where are they located?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
D2Krules-

The one depicted in the top-left of the diagram can be found in the interior of the car, behind a removable panel just above the hood-release handle.

The other panel, the one in the top-center of the diagram, can be found under the hood just to the left of the battery.

Happy hunting!

-njjoe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks!

I checked all fuses and all are fine. Still looking for the radio. Called Nissan and they want $1200 for a new one. The junkyard dog site gave me 4 replies but all are $500 plus. I guess by next week i may just have to bite the bullet.

Tomorrow I'm bringing my car in for an estimate of a repair @ a nissan dealer.

I can't stand hearing myself think anymore while going on a 45 minute trip back and forth to work anymore!!!! Going nutz!

By the way, the diagnostics on the monochrome radio (non navigation) is hold the mute pause button and turn the volume knob around 30 clicks counter clock wise. Something i figured out the hard way.

-D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts