Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wheel weights are rusting. Has anyone have this experience?

Although I live in a snow area, I have never had my wheel weights rust. I thought they are usually make of lead, which would not rust.

It is not causing a problem, they just look like crap. I don't know whether to go complain to my dealer and have them completely throw of my wheel balance (if they decide to replace them under warranty) or just live with it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
biggun-

I, too, live in a snow-prone area and to make matters worse, the MO is usually parked about 100' feet from a salt-water bay. I just took a look at the wheel weights and sure enough they are beginning to show signs of rust where the weights touch each other. My MO is only nine months old, so I can imagine what the weights will look like in a year or two.

I will definitely bring this to the dealers attention when I bring the car in to have the seat belt recall done (Nissan has yet to send me a recall notice).

The weights appear to be plated. Obviously it is the plating that is rusting.

Short of replacing them I guess you could remove the wheel, buff the the rust off, then coat the weight packs with a clear sealant.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe,

My MO is 16 months old and (to me) the rust is unbearable - mainly when I'm down at the wheel trying to shine them.

I will mention something to dealer next time I go in for service. Please keep me updated on your experience.

Thanks.

Biggun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts