Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is a "problem" or not (and, not all that car-savvy, I hate to say), but: every now and then, my 2004 Mo (3200 miles) puts outs some very stinky fumes when started cold. It's not all the time, but when it does, it's very noticeable. This is from the engine, coming out of the exhaust pipes (I think, although it's noticeable in the cab, which might simply be wafting in from the rear). It's a smell I'd normally associate it with an older vehicle... It doesn't last long, only about a minute or two.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Stinky as in rotten eggs or gasoline fumes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In answer to both questions: like a burning gas smell (not a rotten egg smell, I'd say), and just for a few seconds a bit of darkish gray smoke out of the exhaust (but not for long, and not always).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
I think you are smelling a normal smell of rich burning fuel on a cold start. I make a point of keeping my air on recycle in the mornings when I back up so the funk won't get sucked in.

·
Registered
746 Posts
For one, the antipollution system does not work at all upon startup. Its performance progressively increase with the engine heating up so you may be having a short blast of what used to be sniffed all day long by all drivers in the sixties and seventies.

I never noticed it before and I am starting the MO in the garage but it could also be that the ECU makes the mixture too rich on startup.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A rich mixture at startup going through a cold catalytic converter may cause a foul smelling odor....nothing to be concerned about as long as it dissipates after warmup...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it sounds like you've all described it perfectly. Thanks! Feel much better... The vehicle's been perfect so far, best I've ever owned, so that's a relief.

I imagine this is something that all my vehicles have done to one extent or another, but I didn't pay attention as much as I do now.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The rotten smell is characteristic of a new catalytic converter. As you put a few miles on the car, it will eventually go away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts