·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anobody knows any NAV tricks?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not really tricks, but not obvious to new NAVers.

Use the tracking option to create a bread crumb trail if you have to travel in areas that aren't covered in your map. Also good if you want to deviate from the normal route and be able to follow the same route back (due to construction, for instance).

Use the Avoid Area feature to block out areas that are under construction or that you know are heavily backed up. This will make the NAV route you around it and stops the (sometimes) annoying autoreroute from trying to get you back onto the same highway you want to avoid.

Another good feature is being able to enter a telephone number when setting a destination. Seems to work especially well for businesses.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
gargoyle said:
Use the tracking option to create a bread crumb trail if you have to travel in areas that aren't covered in your map.
I haven't used this feature. My housing plan is not on the version of DVD I have...is there a chance that this will show my house? Is it only good for that session or can it be stored somewhere?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Snow MO said:

I haven't used this feature. My housing plan is not on the version of DVD I have...is there a chance that this will show my house? Is it only good for that session or can it be stored somewhere?
Once you turn it on, it stays on, until you turn it off. Very handy in areas that your unfamilar with or if you really go off, off road and can't see to find your way back (like maybe down a long beach and you need to come back out the same place you went in).

I have never found anything but a business phone number when trying to use that feature. I don't think any residence phone numbers are included.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
gargoyle said:
1. Use the tracking option to create a bread crumb trail

2. Use the Avoid Area feature to block out areas that are under construction or that you know are heavily backed up.

3. Another good feature is being able to enter a telephone number when setting a destination. Seems to work especially well for businesses.
I keep hearing about this breadcrumb feature. I'd love to use it, but I've never seen it. Is this new to '04?

Also, as a big warning to huge fans of the Avoid Area feature (like me) once I upgraded the DVD in my '03, the Avoid Area feature no longer works. I will continue to get routes right through my avoid areas, and when I'm driving "freestyle", the nav no longer warns me when I'm heading directly into an Avoid Area. I'm fully convinced that functionality is broken.

Finally, the phone number lookup is supposed to work *only* for businesses. No personal lookups. That's why it works so well when looking up businesses ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ditto on the avoid area. It's broken.

I have an 04, and though I've set up an avoid area, it continues to route me right through it, every time.

It does warn me when I'm approaching it though, but only when I'm using the nav. This is really comical, because if I avoid it, Nav Lady tells me to turn around and proceed to the route, which she then warns me to avoid.

·
Registered
719 Posts
EasternPA said:

I keep hearing about this breadcrumb feature. I'd love to use it, but I've never seen it. Is this new to '04?
Mine's a 2003 SE and it's there, although I can't recall right now just exactly how I access it.

I'll do it on the way home tonight and post if no one else gets to it first.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I remeber reading about the crumb feature in the 03 Nav. But never used.

·
Registered
719 Posts
EasternPA said:

Breadcrumb (actually called Tracking in the NAV menu) is turned on (or off) by:

Settings/Navigation/Tracking/On/Off. On mine, the tracking is the last item on the bottom of the Nav menu.

Pretty straightforward but of course you can't turn it on or off when your moving.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
Settings/Navigation/Tracking/On/Off.
Cool, thanks. I'll try it tonight. I'd like to get our heads together to figure out how to approach zenrin for free replacements or upgrades for those of us who bought upgrades and broke the avoid area function. $180 is a little too much to ignore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since my 04 came with the "avoid area" broken in the first place, I'm wondering if I could approach this as a warranty issue?

Does anyone know if warranty coverage extends to features of the nav?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would think so.... If it doesn't work, isn't it broke ?

·
Registered
719 Posts
utah said:
Since my 04 came with the "avoid area" broken in the first place, I'm wondering if I could approach this as a warranty issue?

Does anyone know if warranty coverage extends to features of the nav?
That's an interesting question.

Maybe Nissan would be interested in the fact that the "avoid" function works perfectly on the non-upgraded 2003's (like mine) but that the 2004's or upgraded 2003's it doesn't function.

Try talking to your dealer about it next time your in for anything and see what they say?

Zenrin won't be selling me an upgraded DVD until they get this resolved.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in total agreement with DKLanecky, no buying an upgrade disk until I have proof that the avoid area works again. '03 is good enough for me, thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts