Nissan Murano Forum banner

Is the NAV system worth buying, or should I get a new one?

• yes, it's worth it

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • no, get a portable GPS - it;s better

Votes: 8 42.1%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an SE with the standard 2 color screen.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a DVD\NAV system, but have no idea if this is possible and what the cost might be. Has anyone done this?

What hacks\alternatives are there to adding a color screen that supports various inputs (i.e. iPod, DVD, XBox, etc)?

Is the NAV system worth the cost, or should I get a portable one?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Installing OEM nav is perhaps the most expensive mod there is. New parts estimate run as high as $7,000 and except for one person who got the parts at a junk yard (but never reported back to tell us if he was successful in his install) I know of no one else who has even tried....:)

Now that was for a 2003-2005. In a 2006 with color screen:8:

Edit: But you can always add a carputer.....(see my gallery)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carputer!!! How much is one of those, and what all does it do? Has anyone used a modded XBox to do this?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I would (and did) order it.

There is nothing like an integrated unit. It works seamlessly with the whole car.

Oops just looked at post again, if you don't have Nav installed, I'd go with portable unit.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
bigbman said:
I've got an SE with the standard 2 color screen.

Is the NAV system worth the cost, or should I get a portable one?
Personally, I would never get (read pay for) a factory NAV system.

Aside from the "coolness" factor, they provide zero benefits over a portable system.

My Magellan has flown with me to LA, Vegas, Florida, Myrtle beach, etc. I can have it up and running in a rental car in under 3 minutes. This is in addition to traveling in my MO on a daily basis.

Now, I don't know about the Nissan unit, but I was in my friends' RX330 and was "trying" to input an address into the Lexus NAV. He said "the car has to be stopped to input anything". WTF?? No thanks.

I would bet in the future that onboard systems will be as popular as power windows are today.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Speaking of which....... (what are the odds)

Today only @ www.woot.com (one day, one deal)

Garmin iQue 3600 PDA/GPS Handheld System $265 delivered

If you never "wooted" before, you don't know what your missing

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Re: Re: NAV Upgrade???

Yes, if you frequently travel and use rental cars and money is tight, then by all means, get a portable unit. I still keep my Garmin Streetpilot III around. To be honest, though, since you're going to pay about $180/yr for map upgrades with either system, I actually find my Nextel does just fine for $20/mo (mapping software & required network access @ $10/mo each).

I currenty use the Mapquest FindMe (mapquestfindme.com) to find restaurants, stores, and ATMs in new cities, but I'm planning to switch to TeleNav once I get approval to bill my dept for a Crackberry. TeleNav gives all the live, turn by turn, voice prompted instructions like traditional nav systems, but TN has continuous road and business updates and even lets you search for gas by price! TN runs on the i730 today, but I'd rather wait for the bigger screen on the 'berry.

Finally, with respect to the carputer -- from what I can tell, the '06s without nav are using the same color LCDs we nav'ers have had all along. That means its incredibly easy to add S-Video input to your screen for PC video out, and you can choose from a much wider variety of nav systems, provided you can get s-video out from the system, or run some Windows-based nav software on a multimedia embedded PC. Add the touch screen overlay recently featured here, and you can have a full featured information and multimedia center for about the same $2k you would pay for nav alone. If I was buying today, that's what I would do. But again, not very portable unless you host the whole thing on a laptop you take on the road with you.

While the built-in nav may seem to be of limited value, I use the "spin around" feature to get out of traffic jams all the time, something you just can't find anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
bigbman said:
Carputer!!! How much is one of those, and what all does it do? Has anyone used a modded XBox to do this?
That is a car computer, hence carputer. It is basically the same as your home computer except modified to fit the car, start with it and shut down with it. I have one and on it I play music (anything a computer can play including MP3), video, Sat radio, GPS, microsoft office, internet, cell phone, voice control over all functions, you name it, I got it....

You can have one installed for around $5,000 (including screen) or do it my way (I installed myself) for less than $1,000

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
bigbman said:
I'd love to know more! Got any links or information on how you did yours for $1000?
I would be glad to answere any specific questions you may have but I honestly think your best bet would be to go to www.mp3car.com and take a look. That is where I started too. In their forums you will find everything you ever wanted to know, and more, about carputers, hardware, software, hacks, etc. etc. That site also has a "store" where you can buy ready to install carputers, screens, start-up and shutdown controllers, and many other things. What is also so neat about that site is that many of its members build carputers for their cars and write software specifically for the carputers.....and share them with the rest of the community for free.

I do recommend several days of heavy reading before you ask any questions there though.....them members do not like "noobs" who have not done their research.....:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have two cars with integrated GPS and also have a Magellan 700 GPS Nav system. All are good... depends on what you want. I wanted integrated NAV, so I opt for it in cars available with it. For my older cars, I use my Magellan. Either one will get you where you want to go.

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
rtking said:
I have two cars with integrated GPS and also have a Magellan 700 GPS Nav system. All are good... depends on what you want. I wanted integrated NAV, so I opt for it in cars available with it. For my older cars, I use my Magellan. Either one will get you where you want to go.

Bob
I agree. If navigation is all you want, there are many good aftermarket units there that work well inside a Murano, given its large flat dashboard surface. I have Garmin 2620 also. When I use it in the Murano I just place it on top of the dash. It actually looks good too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE: Any other locations for double DIN nav?

I have a Pioneer AVIC D1 navigation system/CD, stereo, etc., and would like to use the navigation functionality in my murano. Do you know if anyone has ever positioned a double DIN nav system in the area where the cup holders are located? Although it would require looking down (away from the road) in order to view the screen, that is the only place that appears to provide a somewhat professional look. Any other suggestions as to location?

Thanks.

T

·
Registered
33 Posts
zebelkhan: I have spent quite a bit of time at mp3car.com and I think I am ready to tackle the project. I was looking at your pictures and I noticed that originally you had installed your carputer screen at the bottom of the console, but then later, you moved it up top and put the OEM display down below.

What was your reason for doing that and how hard was it? I was under the impression that the screen was part of a circuit board that runs the entire length of the console. I guess that impression is wrong??

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
dmtreff said:
zebelkhan: I have spent quite a bit of time at mp3car.com and I think I am ready to tackle the project. I was looking at your pictures and I noticed that originally you had installed your carputer screen at the bottom of the console, but then later, you moved it up top and put the OEM display down below.

What was your reason for doing that and how hard was it? I was under the impression that the screen was part of a circuit board that runs the entire length of the console. I guess that impression is wrong??
PROs of mounting the carputer screen down below:
It was easier to just mount the carputer screen down below. It is quite accessable for audio control and such and more visible in sunlight. It also looks more OEM at times when you are not running your PC beause the OEM display is still in its original location.
CONs of mounting the carputer screen down below:
To have a good fit you will need to disassemble the screen (unless you use a smaller screen than a 7 inch) and in my case cut into the cener consol (cannot see it but you know it is there!). More importantly, it is a bit unsafe for Navigation if you are a visual person and you have to look down on the map (some just listen to audio prompts and do not have to constantly look at the map but I am not one of them!). The screen brighness and contrast also looks a bit off because the viewing angle is a bit off. Rear passengers cannot watch DVD because shifter is in the way.
PROs of mounting the carputer screen up in place of OEM:
No need to disassemble the carputer screen for mounting. Looks good if you have it on whenever you are driving. Easy and natural view of the screen for Navigation, DVD, etc.
CONs of mounting the carputer screen up in place of OEM:
More washout in bright sunlight. Touch screen is a bit out of the way unless you have long arms. If you live in a hot area you may want to install a small fan on the screen to keep it cool. Dashboard looks odd at night if you are not running the PC. But perhapse the two biggest negatives about moving the OEM screen down below is that you have to extend the wires for the OEM screen. I think there were 18 wires in the bundle and I did them one at a time complete with solder and shrink wrap (to minimize the size) and to keep from crossing. The next big negative is that you have to disassemble the OEM screen and remove the outer housing so it will fit in the new location. In doing so, you have to remount and insulate the circuitboard inside and the screen will be exposed because it will nolonger have its plastic protection lense in the front.
The work is about the same either way and choosing one method over the other is really dependent on your skills and preferences. For me, I run the PC all the time so screen is up all the time and viewing is good. That was more important to me than the work involved!

Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Zeb,

Thanks for your thorough write up. Most of your reasons seem to jive with what I was thinking, though it's always better to listen to someone who has already done the work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Re: Re: NAV Upgrade???

EasternPA said:
Yes, if you frequently travel and use rental cars and money is tight, then by all means, get a portable unit. I still keep my Garmin Streetpilot III around. To be honest, though, since you're going to pay about $180/yr for map upgrades with either system, I actually find my Nextel does just fine for $20/mo (mapping software & required network access @ $10/mo each).

I currenty use the Mapquest FindMe (mapquestfindme.com) to find restaurants, stores, and ATMs in new cities, but I'm planning to switch to TeleNav once I get approval to bill my dept for a Crackberry. TeleNav gives all the live, turn by turn, voice prompted instructions like traditional nav systems, but TN has continuous road and business updates and even lets you search for gas by price! TN runs on the i730 today, but I'd rather wait for the bigger screen on the 'berry.

Finally, with respect to the carputer -- from what I can tell, the '06s without nav are using the same color LCDs we nav'ers have had all along. That means its incredibly easy to add S-Video input to your screen for PC video out, and you can choose from a much wider variety of nav systems, provided you can get s-video out from the system, or run some Windows-based nav software on a multimedia embedded PC. Add the touch screen overlay recently featured here, and you can have a full featured information and multimedia center for about the same $2k you would pay for nav alone. If I was buying today, that's what I would do. But again, not very portable unless you host the whole thing on a laptop you take on the road with you.

While the built-in nav may seem to be of limited value, I use the "spin around" feature to get out of traffic jams all the time, something you just can't find anywhere else.
[/QUOTE

I have telenav on my blackberry works great!!!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"To be honest, though, since you're going to pay about $180/yr for map upgrades with either system, "

Magellan map upgrades on the 700 are $99, and they come out once every 2 years or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts