Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears as if our FX cousins have found a way to switch the nav system so that you can input things while moving....do you think this is possible on the MO?
infinitiFX.org - Thread

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
SnowMo I sure wish someone would answer this. GRIP :D

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too...
Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's possible, and works great. On the FX, I followed a thread saying it was a gray wire on the back of the nav unit. Wasn't the right one on the MO. Went back, did some more searching and found a wiring diagram for an '03. (Mine is an '04)
There is no easy way that I could find to remove the side tunnel cover on the drivers side to get to the back of the unit though. Had to remove the front tunnel cover (next to accelerator pedal) which is easy, and then reach behind the panel to remove the two Molex style plugs; the forward one is white and next to it towards the rear of the car, is the gray plug. Once you have the wiring harness exposed, cut into the violet wire w/white stripe, which is on the white plug. Place switch inline to the cut wires, plug it back in and give it a test. Remember, if you (really your passenger) use the switch, it takes a few minutes to recalculate where you are, and of course, because it thinks you are standing still, your ETA will not be accurate. But hey, giving your passenger something to do while your having fun driving, well, PRICELESS!
Think I will put the switch on the passenger side hidden by the auxiliary power outlet cover....

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woo Hoo...can you also take pictures of your install to help us less 'tech savvy' users?

NOTE: Being less-tech savvy on this forum means you have not personally designed something that affects our everyday life in some way...;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pictures? Geez, I hardly had room for my hand to get behind the tunnel cover! The only pictures I could possibly post would be the front panel cover removed, but that doesn't show anything. Kinda tricky releasing the Molex plugs. You have to press down in the top middle of the plug to release the catch, and then wiggle the plug out. Twice. Once for the white plug, once for the gray plug. All from behind this freakin' panel, which you have be a contortionist to do it, and of course, you can't see what you're doing! But once it's done, the memory of it all goes away.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely sounds like a lot to ask. Good description of the process though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For anyone who installed this switch, where did you put it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Michael Davis said:
Once you have the wiring harness exposed, cut into the violet wire w/white stripe, which is on the white plug. Place switch inline to the cut wires, plug it back in and give it a test.
A note to 2005 Murano owners who make this mod. I did this mod in my 2005 SE 2WD last night, and on mine, the violet/white wire was actually on the GRAY molex plug, not the WHITE one...It's actually in the exact same Pin location as the FX (pin 28).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can you just leave the over ride switch on all the time?

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
FlyerNo9 said:
Can you just leave the over ride switch on all the time?
Well, you COULD, but as Michael Davis mentioned in his post this basically makes the nav system believe you are stopped (disconnecting the GPS receiver). So while you could leave it on override, it would never show where you actually are, so it would kind of defeat the purpose of a nav system... :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think I'll just continue to be that guy that's pulled over on the side of on/off ramps ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts