Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get a "Disk Error" yet? I took it down to the dealer and they said they will have to replace the unit. Before I was able to take it back to leave it, the NAV started working again. Dealer told me they will still replace it as they saw the error. :4:

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
BARCODE said:
Anyone get a "Disk Error" yet? I took it down to the dealer and they said they will have to replace the unit. Before I was able to take it back to leave it, the NAV started working again. Dealer told me they will still replace it as they saw the error. :4:
I have received this error as well as incorrect disc version on my NAV unit before. I took out the DVD, saw a light film on it so I wiped it off, stuck it back in and away I went. I havent seen the problem reoccur for about 3 months. Man did it really upset me when I first saw it though. Fortunately it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had the same "disk error" message off and on for a couple of months starting in August 2003. Dealer tried several changes, updates, etc over the period of 3 months. All would work for a while and then the error would return.

They replaced the main unit in November 2003 and it's been perfect since.

I'm of the opinion that if you get the disk error message, report it to the dealer in writing in order to get it looged as an issue, just in case yours fails later.

The repair "cost" to the dealer on the invoice was >$2,000.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had this error in the past, and was also getting incorrect version errors. Would happen intermittantly and every time I brought it to the dealer it would be fine.

But NOW my nav is inoperative completely. Got an appointment next week. UGH...

The dealer told me there is a software update just released as of a month ago to fix these problems, but they supposedly already did this update to mine when I first reported the problem.

·
Registered
719 Posts
rdangel said:
I have had this error in the past, and was also getting incorrect version errors. Would happen intermittantly and every time I brought it to the dealer it would be fine.

But NOW my nav is inoperative completely. Got an appointment next week. UGH...

The dealer told me there is a software update just released as of a month ago to fix these problems, but they supposedly already did this update to mine when I first reported the problem.
Sounds like your on the same "repair/diagnoisis path" as I was.

Mine actually became immediately less stable and consistent after they applied the software update (this was last fall, so maybe there's a new patch). I called the dealer from the car and said it' still doing it so they ordered the main unit.

Then after a couple of hours, it seemed to stabilize and began to function perfectly for the next two weeks.

The dealer called me two weeks later to say that the main unit was in and when did I want an appointment for replacement. I told him everything was perfect and let's hold off for a while and see if it continues to work perfectly.

He said OK, then called me back 10 minutes later and said no can do, the part is >$2000 and he can't hold it in stock. He either has to install it and return it, then I'd have another two week wait if it fails again.

I guess the lesson is that if you have ANY problems with the NAV, report them in writing in order to maintain/extend the warranty coverage for any issues that may show up later as long as possible.

You don;t want to be buying these parts yourself out of warranty!!

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
I got the "disk error" last night.
Took out the DVD, wiped it but still nothing.
Gave up and set off on my trip. 20 minutes later the disclaimer came up, I hit enter, and it worked fine.

Guess I'll have to wait and see if it was an isolated incident.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Add another to the list of "disk error" messages. I got my 1st one today (car about 2 mos. old). Tried wiping disk clean, no effect. Will report it to the dealer to get into the system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This would be a me too!
Oddly, last night I tried to post a reply and my DSL must have gone out because I don't see my reply.
Anyhow, I had this happen about a month ago as well. I took out the disc tried to clean it and replace the disc and it still didn't work. After a couple more trips it seemed to work again.
Then as a weird coincidence it happened this morning again. I got in the MO and quickly hit enter for the disclaimer and started to drive to work (I was sort of in a hurry). The screen stuck on "Please Wait" and I thought to myself that it was longer than normal, but kept driving. After about 5 miles/minutes I got the "Disc error" message. I will have to notify the dealer as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The dealer ordered a new DVD unit and updated disk for later installation. Strangely enough, the unit has been working fine since I picked it up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, it started up last night and seemed okay. But I set up a route and it took a long while to view the whole route. This morning it is running okay though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Add me to the list of Nav "Disc Error" messages!
I had just used the nav to drive to a friend's house tonight. (Yes, I know where my friends live, but the car's only a month old and I'm still having fun).
Came out a couple hours later and got the Disc Error.
Drove it home, wiped off the disc - and the disc did NOT want to go back in the slot. It kept spitting it back out and giving "Map DVD not in slot" or some such.
Finally inserted disc and quickly turned off car before it could spit it back out.
After a few rounds of this, it eventually stayed in, and now seems to be OK.
It was too late to swing by the dealer. From reading the other posts, it looks like I'll be seeing this message again. If it happens again, I'll snap a picture of it and fire off something to the dealer. I've got 35 months to go...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disc Error

Hi, I'm a frustrated Murano owner. My nav system has registered Disc Error on three occasions. The first two times it just suddenly started working again within a few days, but this time it's been 5 days and I'm not encouraged - plus now the Disc Error message appears almost instaneously when I agree to the disclaimer, whereas before it seemed to search first. Anyway, when it happened the first time our dealer's service dept said they'd order a new player. Well, we never heard from them. It started working and, since we are so unhappy with the service at our dealer, we decided to leave well enough alone. Now, I need something done. So, I've checked to find out if they ever placed the order, etc. I have to wait for the special parts guy to come back from vacation because the Nav system and its parts are so new...
Has anyone else had a problem getting a replacement DVD player from their dealer? Any advice?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I have had the NAV error, but took the disc out and gave it a quick clean and threw it back in (almost literally threw it back in because I was so mad that it wasn't working).

Give it a try if you haven't. I have read on here that someone was able to successfully replace the system I believe.

·
MOtivated!
50 Posts
Disk Error

I got my error the day after my wedding trying to find a hospital to take my new husband to (for a condition not related to wedding festivities, for the most part). That peeved me off pretty bad. Went on our honeymoon, came back, and it's been working just fine. Didn't touch a thing.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disc Error

Cleaning the disc made the system work for less than a day. I'm completely frustrated. I've contacted another dealer and will bring it in for them to look at. Hopefully they will be capable of either fixing it or replacing it, something my own dealer is obviously unable to do. Mostly I'm mad at the complete ineptitude of the service dept at my local dealership.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Further adventures...

I reported earlier that my NAV was giving me a "disk error" message, and that the dealer ordered a new unit, even though it worked fine after I picked it up after the troubleshooting. Well, the new unit has been installed, and it seems to be working fine, except that it isn't a new unit. It was already programmed with two locations in North Carolina. I sure hope they trouble-shot it before installation. Glad I bought the extended warranty.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re: Further adventures...

kingfisher said:
Glad I bought the extended warranty.
Can you verify that the NAV unit is covered specifically under the expended warranty program (from the documents themselves)?

I seem to recall from somewhere that it was SPECIFICALLY excluded, which is why I didn't really consider purchasing it for the Mo.

If it is specifically included, I may reconsider!

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
At 346 posts, I think it may be a little late to reconsider!! At this point, its impossible to retrofit the OEM nav. It is tied to the VDC to enable live updates without a GPS signal. Plus you'd have the screen to mess with, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Over the labor day weekend, I was driving home from Montana, when all of a sudden the Nav just froze. It showed the car stationary in Idaho someplace as I drove most of the way home. Upon turning the car off and on again, I got the "Disc Error".

Fortunately, I had my digital camera with me, and took pictures of the screen - because by the time I got to the dealer, it was working again. They replaced my nav unit on 9/17. They didn't give me any grief about it working when I brought it in, but they did need me to bring it in to get a part number off of it.

The nav unit seems to be new. There are no locations stored in it. It seems to work a little differently - I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like there was something I used to be able to do while driving that I can't now. Gotta check the manual on that one. I will also check and see if the "Avoidance Area" feature works now - it wasn't before.

MOST irritating though, when I got it back, and was driving around with the girlfriend, my rear started to get warm. They put the switches for the seat heaters in BACKWARDS! UGH.

Back to the dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts