Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I installed one in my Murano. I particularly wanted the back-up camera, but the TV tuner was an added bonus! :p

The install took about 4 - 5 hours, but that's because I am really particular about my wiring, etc. I mounted the tuner box above the XM radio box and ran all wiring to that location. Probably the most nerve-wracking moment was cutting the wires to the navigation display - but I triple-checked via this forum and the internet, then I cut. I ran out to Radio Shack and bought 2 sets of computer power supply connectors and used those as connectors. (That way, if I remove the unit, I can just disconnect at the connectors and connect the original wiring together with the appropriate male/female ends. I purchased Ribbon Wire (4 wires attached together like a ribbon) from Radio Shack for this purpose.

The amplieified TV antenna went into the hatch at the high-mount stoplight access panel. I ran wiring down the hatch - but that was a pain and required a steel coat hanger be straightened and pushed up the hatch to fish the wires out. I also had to drill a hole into the inside of the hatch (below the window line and hidden by the inside panel) to pull the wires out.

The backup camera is mounted to the license plate frame and works remarkably well. It is an ultra-low-lux camera, so it still operates in near total darkness. Love having it. The wiring for the camera was run up the passenger side license plate illumination lamp area (drilled a small hole to clearance the wire which is not visible with the lamp is mounted back into its location in the hatch) and ran the wiring up the hatch to the high-mount stoplight area. From there, I ran it through the rubber boot for the rear washer fluid line and down into the body.

In order to get sound from the TV tuner, I had to purchase a RF modulator from eBay. Once I did that, I went to Radio Shack to get a rocker switch that I mounted on the black plastic panel under the radio (to keep it hidden) that powers on and powers off the RF Modulator. (If you don't do this, then you won't get AM/FM reception since it overpowers all incomming signals. The AV Electronic box doesn't have a trigger wire for the RF modulator.) After all that got wired up, I can now enjoy TV and still have a back-up camera.

BTW, my next project is to get the feed from the factory DVD player to play on the front Navi screen, and to have the TV tuner display on the rear DVD player. Shouldn't be a problem, but I'm taking a break from Murano projects so I can focus on rebuilding my Mustang's engine and preparing for the birth of my first child... :p

Bob

·
Registered
389 Posts
oops - forgot to add that the remote is a little funky to use. But after playing with it, I've learned that button 5 will switch between the Navi and TV. Button 6 changes channels (no up/down channel surfing - the box finds the strongest stations and just cycles through them.) I understand buttons 1 - 4 control other TV monitors if you have them installed (so you can watch different inputs/tv programs on different screens) and buttons 7 - 9 are for future use.

Also, I found that the 2.5 mm adapter for the amplified antenna input can be damaged pretty easily. I *don't* recommend you open your box, but if you did, you'd see a non-threaded coax connector (similar to RCA) on the inside. I plan to run a non-threaded connector to a threaded connector to my box (by drilling out the hole on the steel case) and then threading the coax connector directly to that. That should provide a very sturdy connection.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rtking

Do you have any pics of your install? Would love to see them, and the screen in action. What year is your MO? I have an 06 SL no Nav. The color screen looks great, but all the stuff I see is for the MO that already has Nav.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I can't remember the exact cost of the system since it was a few months back, but I think it was around $700. I bought the AV Box w/TV Tuner, the amplified TV antenna and the backup camera mounted in the license plate frame. A little pricey but I have to admit that I use that backup camera A LOT. I look over the shoulder and back-up as normal, but when I get close to something, the backup camera is really handy to know exactly how close I can get. I have the camera angled so that the bottom edge of the display is the edge of my back bumper. Works great!

Sadly I didn't take any pics during install. (It would have gotten in the way of my cursing) but I have to swap out the 2.5 mm plug for a Coax threaded connector, on the box, so I'll take pics then. Probalby won't be a for a couple of weeks since my wife is due to deliver our first child any day now... :D

Bob

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
rtking said:
...I'm taking a break from Murano projects so I can focus on rebuilding my Mustang's engine and preparing for the birth of my first child... :p

Bob
Get it all done now.... after the birth its all about the baby.... good news its only for the next 16 years or so!!!! :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts