Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the 2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD in Glacier Pearl with Cafe Latte Leather. Got every option except the chrome wheels.

Love it so far :) :)

Have a questions about the navigation system, In the manual they show you options to input the phone number of the destination to set the waypoints. but when I go the DEST screen there is no option for the phone number? is there something I have to set? Is this a future option?

Also does anyone know if the Nav DVD is updated and if so how do you get them and what costs are involved?

This is my first post and apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere or if this is the wrong section to post this question in.

TIA

Matrixnyc

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm assuming there's no difference between the '03 and '04 Murano NAV systems. The option for inputting by phone number is there when you press the DEST button, but you need to make sure you have disabled the Short Menus option in Settings in order to see it. That being said, I've never had a successful search by using a phone number, but that's probably just me. :)

Since you've got a brand new Murano, you probably got version 6.2 of the NAV system DVD. You can check by popping out the DVD from the player and looking at the disk. Version 6.2 was just released by Zenrin, the company that makes the software. Supposedly, when you bought your Murano with the NAV system, your dealership should have sent your name and VIN number in to Zenrin so they can notify you about updates. I'm guessing that my dealership didn't do that, as I never got a notification about the release of version 6.2. The cost to upgrade to version 6.2 is $185. You can find more info from the Zenrin web site at http://www.zenrin.com .

Jeff

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info :)

Now I cant wait to get home and try turing off the short menu and seeing if the phone numbers work for the destination.

Will let you know later.

$185.00 for an upgrade WOW :eek:

·
Registered
719 Posts
The phone number lookup has never failed to find the address for me. It won't ever work for a residential listing(apparently they're not included in the database), but every business number I've put in has immediately come up. (I have disc V6.1)

Strange.............

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, i tried it last night and the residential phone numbers dont work. but the business listings works fine. I guess it uses a database of phone book listings for the business in the nav dvd.

I wonder if they will ever add the residential numbers :(

·
Registered
202 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
It won't ever work for a residential listing(apparently they're not included in the database), but every business number I've put in has immediately come up. (I have disc V6.1)
Ahhhhh....that's the problem! I've been looking up only residential numbers. I knew I was doing something wrong. :1pat:

Jeff

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be great if it did work for residential phone numbers too.

maybe in the future.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Thieves

$185.00 for an upgrade. How is that possible? This is a fine example of technology that is artificially over-priced. Let 'em burn in hell, I say. O.K. when is someone gonna post the binary ( for educational purposes of course )

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
generator, I agree that $185 is kinda steep, for testing purpose only :2:

Also stop by the tri-state section :) trying to get a bunch of us together for a road trip .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Enforcer said:
Does Zenrin build any aftermarket NAV's?
From what I can tell, Zenrin is a software company only. They license their navigation software to other companies for use in their products. There's a listing of the types of applications that use Zenrin software on their web site, http://www.zenrin.com , under the Exit Data link.

Jeff

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thats why we didn't purchase the NAV system. I figured we would have better luck purchasing an aftermarket one where we can switch it from vehicle to vehicle and have better/cheaper acess to upgrades, firmware/software instead of being "forced" to purchase the stuff at Nissan or the software company that they use.

We currently use a black and white handheld, that I use in my vehicles, (which got us to the Nissan dealer ironically) while I am flying(I am a private pilot) and I also bought a mount for my Mountain bike so I can use it while mountain biking to track my trails, and also get me out if I get lost - which of course it has gotten me out of a jam a few times while out in the wooods. It has also helped me while driving to find my way, and to find short cuts.

I bought it in Tokyo, and has a world map with roads and everything including the United States. I was surprised it had a world map in memory since it is so small. It is a Garmin trek model I think. It works great though. It tells you ALL kinds of info, like direction, altitude, time of day, sunrise/sunset. Rate of climb, rate of decent, ect. ect. ect. Which all helps in fllying more than driving.
It also has a connection so I can hook it up to my computer and input waypoints, view tracks that we have taken, ect. ect. ect. So for a $250 GPS it has come in real handy and has given us a lot of un, info and has gotten a lot of usage.

Anyway, if this thing has all this info and has helped us so much, I can't imagine what a nicer color, automobile type of one will do for us and how much it will come in handy. I especially like the transferability of it, so I can still use it in a plane, another car, ect.
IF anybody has any info on ones that they have, or know about that can be used like this, I would appreciate it, cause I haven't done any research on it yet.

Chez

·
Registered
255 Posts
Halo said:

Ironic, that's what a basic DVD burner costs these days ;)
Yes, that is about what they cost now, and I am pretty sure their useful life is more than a year too:D.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I found a new NAV feature (well at least for me it's new) last night by accident.

I accidently bumped the joystick while reaching for something and the entire Nav screen was suddenly filled by the NAV display. (The HVAC/Audio/SAT settings down below disappeared.)

I kind of freaked for a second since the screen didn't seem to be updating as I was driving. It also had kind of a cross-hairs splitting the scrteen vertically and horizontially.

I moved the joystick a little and it changed the view from where I had been heading to any direction I wanted to go. I could zoom further ahead on the route or turn to the right or left to see what was off to the right or left.

Just like looking at a map, but in any direction I wanted, even backwards where I'd been.

Very nice feature and I had no clue it was built in there.

Now, tell me I've found something new no one knew anything about or am I just slow about exploring all the NAV functionality?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I knew about it :)

Also it should be noted that while you're moving, you can only scroll entire screen lengths at a time. But when you stop, the crosshair changes to dashed lines and you can scroll more accurately. It will also tell you the street name of what you have in your crosshairs when in this mode.

Another awesome feature is to hit "Map" when you're in Guide Mode (getting directions to a destination).

Normally in guide mode you don't see the map, only the type of turn ahead of you and some information about the total time of your trip, mileage, and what street you're turning onto...

But if you hit Map, you can see the whole route on the map screen, plus a smaller indicator off to the side showing what type of turn. It's really cool to see yourself motoring along on the laid-out route. :)

Another cool one is after setting your destination, you can simulate the route. There's lots of stuff to play with in the nav system...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cannot program while moving

We have an Acura MDX with NAV, which spoiled us to the point that any new car HAD to have it. Thus the new MO with NAV. Anyway, I was shocked to find that the MO NAV cannot be programmed while the car is moving. Many times in the MDX we realized that we were lost en route, and the passenger could program our destination while driving. I understand the safety reasons behind the limitation - I was just surprised.

·
Who needs titles?
23 Posts
dumb question... how do you remove panel to get to the dvd?

·
Registered
202 Posts
roylevitt said:
dumb question... how do you remove panel to get to the dvd?
The panel just pops out. You'll want to use something like a slim flathead screwdriver or some other instrument to gently pry the cover off. They key word there is "gently", as the plastic cover damages pretty easily.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts