Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the Navigation System X9 DVD Year 2012 is now available for the 2011 Murano with Nav. *You will need your Nav System Unit# ID to order. They send you 5 DVD's which you load via your AV unit player.

Nissan Navigation System X9 DVD Year 2012 - 2011

To purchase an activation code, you will need the Unit ID from your nav system.

To find the Unit ID on your navigation system:

1. Push <INFO>.
2. On the Information screen, Highlight [Map Update] and push <ENTER>.
3. Write down the Unit ID that appears on the resulting screen (you do not need to record the hyphen):
4. Exit the Map Update screen by pressing the [BACK] button.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Navteq directly, today 3/6/12 to order. The rep said that this update is available now and will ship immediately. 7-10 shipping days time. Ships via from Tenn, USA via Fedex but final delivery to you is via US Postal Service. Present promotional price (promo ends 6/30/12) is $199.00 plus local sales tax and shipping is free.

Navteq Customer Service/Ordering: 1-888-661-9995

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Do know that usually a few months after a Navteq map update is released, you can find discounted offerings for the map update. If you aren't in a rush for the update you may wish to wait for a few months before considering purchase of the update.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received notification today that the Navigation System X9 DVD Year 2012 update I ordered yesterday, 3/6/12 has been shipped.
I will post info here in regard to the actual map update process after I have done the actual update. I expect no issues but ...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3/14/2012 .... The Navigation System X9 DVD Year 2012 update I purchased on 3/6/12, was delivered today. Packaging was excellent. The DVD case that holds the 5 DVD's is very nice. To remove each DVD, push the center retainer mechanism with your finger to release the DVD.

ALL 5 DVD's were used in the upgrade process. The install instructions that came with the update were complete and very clear / well done. Mentions you might not use all the DVD's in the upgrade but I was required to insert all 5, one by one. The whole process took me 2 hours and the car had to remain running during the total time period. :(

Anyway, update went without issue. I took the vehicle for a test drive locally after the update and immediately noticed that the Nav was noting/displaying a few local roads that were not shown in the previous mapset. (Funny, as a couple of the roads have been in existence for many years, but were not on the last mapset) Also noted, was the gal that is giving the directions is different as the voice is different. Not that the voice before the update was bad but I do like the voice, inflection, tone, etc. more in regard to this new voice.

Oh, do not fool with the heating cooling system at all during the update process. Doing so can lead to a barrage of flashing NAV messages and flashing lights on the center console. (heating and cooling indicator lights) Fortunately the light show I provoked did not affect the map update or the vehicle in any way. Did cause a minute or two of concern by me until the flashing subsided.

The map update does not mess with the NAV addresses /destinations/settings you have saved on your Nav unit. I back-up to a USB stick but did not need to use the backup after this X9 DVD Year 2012 update as it left all settings/saved stuff untouched.

By the way, the DVD's can be copied. (I saw no reason to but tested to see if possible) The Navteq update regimen, at its start, requires you to enter an activation code given to you by Navteq. This activation code is correlated in some way with the NAV ID# so no way (ah, guess there could be a way) could you use this mapset on another vehicle unless Navteq was to give you/sell you another activation code that was correlated with another NAV ID#. I'm thinking if my Nav unit ever died and had to be replaced, that Navteq would give me another activation number after I submitted some type of proof that the Nav I originally purchased the update for was returned to Nissan.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Wow. Navteq is getting better at copy proofing. Sounds pretty good to me.

How does the new nav system update while moving? Seamless or does it update every second or so?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Cool. That was one of the frustrations I had with the 06 navigation system. I couldn't have the map in 3D mode because it wouldn't update that fast. So I ultimately left it in 2D mode and locked north to the top of the display. Now the arrow turns left and right and so on while the map stays put.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wish that updating the 09 Nav were that simple!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Why wouldn't this update work on a 2009.

2009 LE Blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Stainless Bumper
Weathertechs

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why wouldn't this update work on a 2009.

There is a map update being offered ($149) for the 2009. Go here: Nissan Navigation System 11-12 Version 8.5 for HDD System - 2009

With the 2009 and 2010 Murano, the owner can not do the update but has to take the vehicle to a Nissan dealer, give them the activation code you purchased from Navteq and have them perform the update using the mapset on DVD they have at the dealership. This means paying $100+ to the dealer on top of the $ you pay to Navteq. :eek: There is no way around this unfortunately.

By the way, with the 2003 through 2007 Murano, the owner can do his own map update. The DVD set would be purchased from Navteq who would also provide an activation code. The owner would access the DVD unit that resides/is hidden on the right side of center console next to the passengers left leg. (easy) .. then the update process is the same as I mentioned earlier for my 2011.

Hint: Depending on your occupation and if your vehicle is used in the course of your job, you may be able to write off part of the update expense as a work related expense. Do speak with your CPA before doing this. IF you claim mileage and travel to various locations not familiar to you then your CPA would say you would be aok to claim as a work related expense, 1/4 to 1/2 (percentage based on use) of the mapset expense. You would do this along with your other work related expenses.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Places not working

I updated my nav system today with the X9 version. Everything seems to work fine except for two things - one, when I search for nearby restaurants, gas stations, etc, it tells me "Sorry data does not exist for this location" and if I use voice commands to begin a destination, it allows me to specify the state, city and road name, but no house numbers appear like they used to with the software that came with the car initially. Anyone else have any issues with the update?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I updated my nav system today with the X9 version. Everything seems to work fine except for two things - one, when I search for nearby restaurants, gas stations, etc, it tells me "Sorry data does not exist for this location" and if I use voice commands to begin a destination, it allows me to specify the state, city and road name, but no house numbers appear like they used to with the software that came with the car initially. Anyone else have any issues with the update?
Well, I always enter info in manually but I did just go out and check (used voice commands) to see if I see what you are seeing. Answer is no on both counts. When I select Places I get the choices as always and displayed is all the local stores, restaurants, etc.. As for the street address, I listened carefully and followed her directions :cool: and indeed she asks for the street address. Can tell you, I for one would rather enter the info manually. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez, I'm glad I have the Car kit Company bypass kit installed. http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/69-audio-electronics/16888-murano2011-nav-phone-dvd-cam-bypass-kit.html

Oh, by the way, I just completed a 2,000 mi. trip across States and I noticed this mapset was current in comparison to the old mapset..... but it is suppose to be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the "Sorry data does not exist for this location" response and found my solution. When I was originally installing the update, I did not use the Application Data cd since it seemed like the current version which was already installed was newer than the one provided (in the instructions it is documented how to check) ...it was confusing because instead of using #'s it was involving alpha as well.

Well, long story short, my first attempt involved installing ALL the rest of the DVDs and it worked well except for this error any time I wanted to search by "Place". I went back and installed the application DVD only and it fixed this problem.

If you didn't install the Application Data DVD like me ...then go back and do so. You don't need to reinstall the rest of the DVDs again.

I hope this helps. I called Navtec for help and they were completely worthless.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Resolution

I rarely enter addresses or places manually, so I found this to be a big issue for me. I did talk to Nissan support and they advised me to load the first disc, Application Software, no matter what the version was I had on the existing system. I did that this morning and it works fine now.

Thanks for your input Bill.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I rarely enter addresses or places manually, so I found this to be a big issue for me. I did talk to Nissan support and they advised me to load the first disc, Application Software, no matter what the version was I had on the existing system. I did that this morning and it works fine now.

Thanks for your input Bill.

To clarify........ when you did the update the first time, you did not use the #1 (of 5) DVD?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the help

Kevch25 - thank you for the information. I did the same thing since my existing version seemed to be "higher" than the version on the DVD. Once I reloaded the software disc, it worked fine. Bad instruction manual!! I did notice the lady has a different voice now!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
To clarify........ when you did the update the first time you did not use the #1 DVD?
That is correct - I did not use the first DVD since the instruction manual indicated if the current version number was higher than the version number on the DVD update package, to eject the disc and proceed to step 15.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts