Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Enjoying the ride…
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi @ll,

I just want to share information on Navigator I just bought. It’s NAVMAN iCN 510. This device is pretty small and light. If put it in your pocket you will not notice it is there. It’s a little bit bigger that the cell phone, but smaller than some PDAs. Installing software went very good on Win XP. Loading the maps was kind of slow; it took about 5 hours to load East coast including Florida and some Canada’s states and the West coast from California to Colorado and all states around. I used Sandisk 1 Gig Secure Digital card. I used up almost all memory; I probably have 50 Megabytes left free. All inputs and setting are very simple. The actual package does not even include the manual, so I end up figuring everything out by myself. But do not think it does not come with manual, it is a PDF file you can access thru the HELP in the software menu, I found it two days later and it was no additional information there, by that time I was able to set device on my own. GPS fix are pretty quick, usually it takes about 30 sec. Navigation is great, you can use 3D map, 2D map, turn-by-turn or turn-by-turn and the 2D map together all with voice support. Male voice is a little bit better than the female. Female voice has some static recorded. I also liked back-on-track feature, if you miss your turn it will bring you back on track automatically. I notice that calculation of the route is much faster if you vehicle is not moving. Overall I am happy with this unit; I am going to rely on NAVMAN when visiting my grand pa in California next month. Now is the best part I bough this unit dirt chip on Outpost.com her is the link: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4211294?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
All other places have it for $400+, so $329 it’s not that bad. Check eBay, everybody selling this unit for $400 plus $20 for S/H. I also saw someone selling this link on the eBay for $3.95. I just gave it for free, so if you need small, light, reliable navigation go there and buy it. Sorry for any mistakes in the text, English is not my native language.
If you have any questions I will try to answer you.

Drive carefully,
Mo_Driver:2:

Attachments

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Is the manufacturer well known and stable? While the product looks nice, I want to know if the company providing the updates is going to be around for a long time.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I don't see anything that indicates they sell to the retail consumer. How would one go about updating the maps for the NAVMAN ICN 510 in a couple of years?

I see that the product pages show prices in the thousands, per state so that must be what they're charging the manufacturer (NAVMAN?).

I didn't see anything on Navman's pages that indicated map updates were available, or did I just miss it?

"Navman is a leading manufacturer of world-class Global Positioning System (GPS) and navigation technology. Established in 1988, the New Zealand based company provides a diverse range of navigation technologies across wide ranging industries including recreation, survey and personal information. The Navman product range offers a complete line of GPS engines in cost effective and flexible configurations with applications as diverse as commercial fleet-tracking to low cost consumer 'in car' and mobile computing GPS products. Navman also works closely with world leading hardware partners, for example Palm, Microsoft and HP, in developing its range of handheld GPS jackets and Bluetooth™ solutions. This effectively demonstrates the converging worlds of computing, wireless communications and in-car telematics. Navman is 70% owned by US, NASDAQ listed Brunswick Corporation.

Navman uses Tele Atlas’s turn-by-turn navigation database in all product line-ups today. These include Transferable In-Car Navigation devices, Mobile GPS for PalmOS and Pocket PC Handhelds, and Wireless AVL and Fleet Management solutions. "

·
Enjoying the ride…
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who needs updates, just buy a new one....

I guess for that price you can buy a brand new unit in the couple of years and you do not need an updates.;)

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
I bought one of these in December for my wife (She loved the nav in my Mo)
Not bad overall. Not so many points of interest as the Mo, but at ~$400 it is more than adequate.
Small, easily fits in a shirt pocket and can be taken anywhere. It has rechargeable batteries so after you unhook the supplied cigarette lighter adapter you can take it out for a walk.
It's supplied with a winshield suction mount that is very strong and stable.
I think this company is big in Europe, so when I go home to England It will be coming with me.

Just one thing to remember, it needs an SD flash card to operate, and they don't supply one. I had a spare 64Mb card lying around and that was fine for NY and NJ (The only places my wife ever travels in) I bought a 512Mb card (about $60) recently and added CT, MS and PA with plenty of space to spare. It's much quicker to load the maps through a USB2 card reader directly to the SD card.

You can also load a USA base map that will give you all the major roads in the country, so if you are going long distance you only need to load your starting and destination states.

It has many options for the display, in fact I think it is more advanced that the system in the Mo. The only thing that is a little annoying is that it cannot mute the stereo system which makes the directions harder to hear.

All in all an excellent little gadget. If you dont have $1000 to spare for a Garmin or Magellan this is the one to buy. Even then, you will not be sacrificing much.

·
5,268 Posts
First time I checked this site this morning the price was $329. Now, 9:40 pm is $499!!!!!:(

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
What a statement..

Murano_driver:
Who needs updates, just buy a new one....
First, $400 is a decent amount to be spent on a gps system that will last yrs. ($400 for a PDA/laptop/carputer based gps with bluetooth antenna and gps software) .
Second, there are many excellent gps softwares out there that are priced around $50 - $150, depending on your choice of UI and funtionality. I personally use iguidance.com (by NAVTEQ, like the one in BMW). There are many more! And the best is: there are always maps update *every year* for a small fee of only $50 every other year. I have been using the iguidance since 2002 fyi.
Third, roads/highway changes.
So even two years is an awefully long time not to get map update. Buying new $400 GPS unit just for the sake of getting a new map every other 2 yrs just does not make sense.

Hmmm let me think, over 6 yrs of my gps ownership and at $400/2yrs, I will spend $1,200. Might as well I go with Garmin Streetpilot Nav (http://www.garmin.com/products/sp320/) and I have the piece of mind of getting map updates at a reasonable price every yr .
Map update availability is VERY important.
Visit www.gpspassion.com to learn which gps solution has update cds and which one does not.

·
Enjoying the ride…
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SugarRushMurano,

I am sorry you got the wrong impression from my post. :( I was kidding. :5: Of course updates are available and important, I download and install one yesterday. I think it was only the software update. I check a lot of places on the maps; so far they are all looks up-to-date. And of course, gpspassion.org is a great source of information about Navigation devices.

·
Enjoying the ride…
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kris,

Ohh noooooo, I can’t believe it…..they changed the price….. #$:( @$$:confused: #$%^:3: &%:banghead: %$%^*^^%$#%^ YAY, my post was about CHEAP Navigator, and now its useless. Doh

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Murano_driver...

I am sorry you got the wrong impression from my post. I was kidding. Of course updates are available and important, I download and install one yesterday. I think it was only the software update. I check a lot of places on the maps; so far they are all looks up-to-date. And of course, gpspassion.org is a great source of information about Navigation devices.
No problem. :4:
I was just trying to point out that there maybe other forum members who raised their eye brow(s) after reading the comment.
So just want to make things crystal clear, that 's all.
Thank you for the post though, really.

To tell you the truth, that NAVMAN iCN 510 of yours looks cool. :29:

·
Enjoying the ride…
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
U R right

Yes, you are right. It’s better to keep everything crystal clear. And I love this small toy, especially for $329….:D

·
Enjoying the ride…
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I know you can buy it from various resellers for a little bit over than $400. But it was $329 what makes at least $80 difference. $80 it’s a price of 1 G SD card, which give you a complete system for $400-$420. And now its gone…:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts