Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I need some help. I just finished installing a 2nd amp into my system (new amp is a JL Audio 300/2, old amp is a JL Audio 300/4), and when I reconnect the negative battery terminal, I've blown the fuse closest to the battery (2 times). Here is my layout...

The power wire from the battery is a 4 gauge and is fused at 60 amp about 12 inches from the battery.

The ground wire from the battery is the stock wire (could be an 8 gauge, but it looks like a 4).

The power wire runs the length of the driver's side to a fused distribution block located behind the driver's side rear seat. This distribution block has two 4 gauge ins, and four 8 gauge outs. The 4 fuses in the distribution block are 40 amps each. So, the power wire goes in, and an 8 gauge wire goes to each amp's power in.

The ground wire for the distribution block is attached to the same ground spot that I used for the sirius receiver and stock amp. It is located behind the rear seats, in the area to the left to the stock amp (would having 3 things grounded to the same spot cause this problem?). I cleared the area with steel wool to remove all paint. Again, the 4 gauge ground wire enters the block, and two 8 guage wires exit to each amps ground in.

My remote wire and RCAs run the lenth of the passenger side. The remote wire is 16 gauge, and I spliced it to run to each amp's remote in.

I've check to make sure the grounds go to grounds, and that the powers go to powers.

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need a larger power wire?
Do I need an 80 amp fuse closest to the battery?
Do I need to replace the battery ground wire with a larger guage? Maybe add a 2nd ground wire to it?
Do I need a different ground point for the distribution block?

Much thanks in advance.
Glenn

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Ok, just to be sure. The fuse closest to the battery that is blowing is one you added not a stock fuse?

No to common ground point or wire size causing a fuse to blow. Quite simply something is drawing more power through that circuit then the fuse can handle, and if its a 60 amp fuse thats a short. Perhaps the amp itself is shorted. Since you've verified you wired it correctly, could be as simple as while pulling on one of the power cables, a metal body flare cut or chaffed into the power cable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Enforcer,
Thanks for the reply.

"The fuse closest to the battery that is blowing is one you added not stock fuse?"

Yes, I added this fuse when I first set up my system with just the 300/4 in it.

"Perhaps the amp itself is shorted."

I'm going to pull the 300/2 out of the mix. I'll remove its power and ground wires from the distribution block, and disconnect the remote wire. I'll post the results.

"a metal body flare cut or chaffed into the power cable"

I'll check this too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
gseepes,

Have you tried putting original Amp back in to see if fuse continues to blow?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Ap0the0sis,
I just pulled the 300/2 out of the mix, and it still didn't work. Blew fuse #3. At this point, the only thing new to the original system is the distribution block. Time to remove that.

Boy do I feel like a horse's ass. Based on my extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that the block that I have is only to be used for power, and should not be used to route the ground wires.

Both amps are now up and running. Success.
I just assumed that one side was for the power, and the other for the ground. Bad assumption. Cost me 3 fuses and a couple of hours. Such is the price of experience.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
gseepes-

Don't be so hard on yourself. That's how we all learn.

An expert would not have used the block in that fashion. A knucklehead would never have successfully troubleshot the problem. Be happy, you're somewhere in the middle. Next time you'll be the expert. :D

-njjoe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Joe. I'll be glad when my 'project' is all done.
Go Giants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts