Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I saw a post by another member that had a link to the TSB's that Nissan has released for the Murano. The one I'm specifically looking at is #: 04068 (Brake Judder From Front).

I'm in the Atlanta area and have noticed this problem, along with a squeeling sound coming from the brakes for over three months now. I've been taking the car to Peachtree Nissan and have asked them to look at this at least three time!! Each and every time they have told me that they cannot reproduce the problem.

Well, yesterday I dropped my MO off at Gwinnett Place Nissan and asked them to look at the brakes as well. They just called me and told me that the rotors need to be turned, the pads need to be replaces (15% left) and need to lubricate the caliber slides, for a grand total of $249.95!!! All of this is for the front brakes.

Now, my MO is a 2003 and has just passed 27,000 miles. What do I do? If I mention this TSB, will they do anything? Or should I pick the car up and go fight with Peachtree Nissan?? :3: :3:

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I would call Peachtree right now and ask the service manager what I should do. I would mention that my next call would be to North America Nissan.

Homer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hfelknor said:
I would call Peachtree right now and ask the service manager what I should do. I would mention that my next call would be to North America Nissan.

Homer
Thank you Homer!! I'll call them right now and let you know what they say. I hate having to deal with this kind of stuff while I'm at work!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, well, called peachtree nissan, they didn't seem to receptive but are going to pull all of my service records and look into this for me. Someone is supposed to call me back shortly.

Now, they told me that the TSB's are a guide to the technichian to fix the problems but that the customer pays for the service most of the time. Is this a crock of *$&%?? I'm not sure.

I bought the car in August of 03 and there are service records as early as Sept. of 03 where I brought it in for this problem. The rotors were turned once, but that is all. I guess I'll just wait to hear what they tell me. At this point, I've asked the other dealership to do the oil change and tire rotation and hold off on the other work.

In the event that I have to call Nissan USA, is there a number that would be good to reach them at?

Thanks again!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Everything in the TSB, if duplicable AND if your vehicle is still under warranty,

will be fixed *free of charge* by any nissan dealer.

If your dealer insist you to pay, call NNA and have an NNA cust rep# handy. Then call this dealer of yours back, and tell him to talk with this rep. The NNA agent will then educate this dealer on the meaning of warranty items and TSB.

And NNA number is: 1 800-647-7261 Mon - Fri 9 - 6 pm CST

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Could someone pls post a url pointing to this TSB? I've never complained to my dealer about it, but its about time I do something. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Here' s the site I use.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Murano/Year.htm

It has the TSB that you are looking for.

As to who pays what, the TSB is not necessarily free.
The TSB is just a Nissan developed fix for a recognized problem.
The rules of Warranty remain in effect.

So the whole deal with Nolec5 is that this has been reported while in warranty and virtually nothing was done.
Certainly the TSB wasn't done and it should have been.

Homer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Everything in the TSB, if duplicable AND if your vehicle is still under warranty,

SugarRushMurano said:
will be fixed *free of charge* by any nissan dealer.

If your dealer insist you to pay, call NNA and have an NNA cust rep# handy. Then call this dealer of yours back, and tell him to talk with this rep. The NNA agent will then educate this dealer on the meaning of warranty items and TSB.

And NNA number is: 1 800-647-7261 Mon - Fri 9 - 6 pm CST
Thank you again!!

What is an NNA#? Is this something I get from the dealership before I call NNA?

Thank you thank you thank you!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Directly from Nissan website:

Please contact us if you have questions about Nissan, Nissan vehicles, or Nissan dealers. If you need immediate assistance, please call (800) NISSAN-1 or contact your nearest Nissan dealer.

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 191
Gardena, CA 90248
(800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Eastern / Central Time
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Monday through Friday

·
Registered
522 Posts
Homer is absolutely right (Doh!), TSBs are just factory recommended repair procedures for common problems. A TSB existing for your issue has no bering on if it will be covered under warranty or not. TSB is *not* the same thing as a Recall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MightyMo said:
Homer is absolutely right (Doh!), TSBs are just factory recommended repair procedures for common problems. A TSB existing for your issue has no bering on if it will be covered under warranty or not. TSB is *not* the same thing as a Recall.
So is it even worth me calling Nissan Consumer Affairs or should I just suck it up and pay the $250?

The one dealership (where my car is not at currently) called and left me a voice mail saying that I should at least be able to get the other dealership to cover the turning of the rotors under warrenty. But I left him a message asking him to call me back I wanted to discuss it real time. This guy is the "Service Director".

·
Registered
522 Posts
The question is if the premature wear of your brakes is "abnormal" and therefore deserves to be warrantied. If you feel it is abnormal, you should complain.

Also whatever the facts may be, the louder you scream at Nissan, just like with any large buracratic customer service organization, the more likely it will be that they will try and make you happy.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
MightyMo said:
I disagree. A TSB is issued to solve a known problem. How it is treated I guess largely depends on who the manufacturer is. Honda treated all TSBs on my CRV as a free fix. The last TSB on my 97 CRV had to do with the ignition switch (I did not even know about it until they pointed it out to me!) and my car had 150K miles on it, clearly out of warranty. No charge for the fix.
TSB points out a problem - more than likely a manufacturing defect - Under warranty or not, if the problem is a known and widespread problem, it should be fixed free. Long time ago when I owned a Chevrollet, even GM recognized this and fixed known issues with my wheel bearing free of charge, at almost 100k miles. If they don't do it, push harder. If you don't have the time now, pay for it and get it back at small claims court.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, well, thought I'd give everyone a quick update:

I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and they took all of my information as far as the dealerships, cost of repairs, ect. It was a much more pleasent experience than I anticipated.

They have offered to call both dealerships to try and determin why this hasn't been addressed previously as well as to find out what is to be done now.

At this point, even if it was determined that I need to pay for the repairs, I would probably be satisfied as Nissan has expressed concern and a willingness to assist, which sometimes, is all it takes in a customer service scenario.

I will continue to keep everyone posted. Thanks again to everyone who offered their suggestions and advise on this!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Although TSB's may not necessarily be free they typically are. When I had the same problem with my Maxima with the brake judder it was covered for free under waranty. If the dealer is refusing the work you need to go to another dealer that follows NNA (Nissan North America) guidelines. Then like everyone else was saying call NNA to complain about that dealership.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Thanks, Homer. I called my dealer since I noticed it in the test drive and told them I just found out it was a "factory recognized problem". I asked for a callback with cost to execute, and will post here.

Thanks again for the pointer.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Update: Will fix for free

Put the car in this morning, got the call this afternoon. They were able to replicate the problem. They read over the TSB, checked my brakes, and found that I'm not even halfway through. They said my brakes "were at 8" whatever that means. I was told that Nissan "most likely" will not cover the work since I'm out of standard warranty (by 1,700 stinking miles), and if I do need to cover it, it will cost $123 to resurface the rotors.

I begged and pleaded and reminded them that its been there since the test drive, my family has been a great customer for years and that it's not worth annoying me over $120. They called NNA back, explained the situation, and they will indeed cover it. Not only that, but they don't even have the machine onsite to do the work, so they're ordering that, too! The service guy (who has the family name of the entire dealership - peruzzi.com - and is great to me) said, "now Steve, when you get the questionnaire, I really really need 'excellent' all the way down for this. Its really important to us." I replied, "no problem, you bent over backwards for me this time."

As much as I feel ripped off each time I leave with a new car, they do make up for it in service.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Re: Update: Will fix for free

EasternPA said:
As much as I feel ripped off each time I leave with a new car, they do make up for it in service.
I wish I could say this is true. I'd love to receive great service...:3:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts