Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway to easily check if spark plugs were actually changed by mechanic

Was hoping someone might know of a way to ensure the spark plugs on my 2005 Murano were changed. I'm at 120,000miles and MPG seemed poor so I thought it was about time to change the spark plugs. I checked with a local mechanic I have used in the past he said he could do the job. Dropped off the car in the morning and picked up in the afternoon. I did not see or feel any difference at all. The MPG is unchanged and I'm beginning to think they didn't do anything. I'm new to owning a car and did not know I should have asked for the old plugs to be saved so I could see them.

I was hoping there maybe a easy way to get at one of the plugs to see if they are original without tearing apart the whole car. The instructions on how to change the spark plugs seems like it takes a lot of work to get at the spark plugs.

Any ideas? Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Its ALWAYS a good practice to ASK for the old part back (ahead of time) whenever you have a shop replace anything from your car. (Outside of fluids of course.) Maybe you can still ask the shop for the old plugs? It has to be NGK if its still the orginal.

You can check the ones in front by the radiator. The thing about this is they can just change these 3 in front and not do the rear ones if they are shady. To check the rear ones, you just follow the diy in the maintenance section.

I just did this spark plug swap on my 04 @ 100K about a week ago. My wife and I notice a better pick up when stepping on the gas pedal. More responsive even on the lightest touch. At first I thought that I might just be fooling myself. But the wife acknowledge that she also notice an improvement.

It also helps if you keep up on the cars maintenance in time/mileage, like air filter change, fluid changes, dosing your gas tank with fuel system cleaner additive atleast 2X a year. I have always used premium gas since 04 as well. All these will ensure peak running conditions for your MO year after year.

Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Three (3) of the plugs 2, 4 & 6 are very easy to remove and check. The rear plugs 1, 3 & 5 are not. You have to remove the intake plenum to get to the plugs. On 2, 4 & 6 just remove the plug coil and use a flashlight to look down in the plug tube to see the plug. The mechanical should have either blown the plug tubes with air or vacuum out the tubes to remove any debris before installing the plugs. If the hole is clean I would say that they replaced plugs 2, 4 & 6. If the holes have debris in them then either they did not clean out the plug tubes or did not replace the plugs. Again, plugs 2, 4 & 6 are very easy to remove. If you remove the plugs and they look new then the mechanic replaced the plugs. If they look old then ofcourse they were not replaced. Without removing the windshield wiper arms, windshield wiper motor, upper and lower cowings, and upper intake plenum you can not check the rear plugs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To expand on my post last night, most mechanics are very honest. They have families and go home to those families just like you and I. Most treat you just like they want to be treated by their AC or plumbing contractors or anyone that they deal with. Unfortunately, they get a bad rap because many times they are working on any items that many people know little or anything about how they operate or work. It is not fair but most people have a distrust of items that they know little or nothing about.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
To expand on my post last night, most mechanics are very honest. They have families and go home to those families just like you and I. Most treat you just like they want to be treated by their AC or plumbing contractors or anyone that they deal with. Unfortunately, they get a bad rap because many times they are working on any items that many people know little or anything about how they operate or work. It is not fair but most people have a distrust of items that they know little or nothing about.
Agreed. I could not count the number of posts I have read in various forums that reflect a lack of knowledge about mechanical issues in cars and the processes needed to repair them. In addition, sometimes the posts themselves are an inaccurate re-telling of what the customer was told about the repair. Kind of a "Message to Garcia" relay effect that loses accuracy in every repetition.

In addition, as many of us know, sometimes there are layers of symptoms or interacting conditions. The result is that one repair reveals another layer of problems or related conditions that then require a separate repair procedure. Or - sometimes you simply have to try more than one fix before you find the solution. Many folks don't understand these effects either.

Explaining and exploring these situations are ways in which forums like this are helpful. And - relative to the spark plugs - sometimes it's really hard to know if a repair procedure has been done, as the new parts are not visible to an observer.

This is not to say that crooked mechanics don't exist, as they surely do. But most are honest people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Pilgrim
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing