Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I was under my car changing my transfer case fluid when I noticed some fluid around a small hole from a place in between the transfer case fluid area and the CVT area. I was wondering if someone out there can help me identify what this hole is for and why there would be fluid around it. It’s under the driver’s side seat area. See pics.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hi Folks,

I was under my car changing my transfer case fluid when I noticed some fluid around a small hole from a place in between the transfer case fluid area and the CVT area. I was wondering if someone out there can help me identify what this hole is for and why there would be fluid around it. It’s under the driver’s side seat area. See pics.
Thanks in advance!
That's a weep hole in the transmission bell housing to let you know when a seal in the transfer case and/or CVT is leaking. Do you still have the old fluid available? If so (and if it wasn't mixed with anything else), measure it. The transfer case only holds a little over 300ml so you want to try to rule that out first. If you don't have the old fluid, you can try taking a swab from that area and smelling it--gear oil has a much different odor than CVT fluid (you can pull the transmission dipstick and compare). Of course, also check the fluid level in the CVT to make sure it isn't low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a weep hole in the transmission bell housing to let you know when a seal in the transfer case and/or CVT is leaking. Do you still have the old fluid available? If so (and if it wasn't mixed with anything else), measure it. The transfer case only holds a little over 300ml so you want to try to rule that out first. If you don't have the old fluid, you can try taking a swab from that area and smelling it--gear oil has a much different odor than CVT fluid (you can pull the transmission dipstick and compare). Of course, also check the fluid level in the CVT to make sure it isn't low.
Thanks so much. Unfortunately the old fluid is mixed with the old rear diff fluid so I can’t measure but I’ll keep an eye on the dipstick levels through.
Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts