Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a Murano and one of the big selling points for me is the ability to get XM integrated into the factory radio. I'm a current XM subscriber (via a sky-fi) though, and am curious how much functionality I'll lose by going to the in-dash unit. Can anyone tell me:

(1) can you see what's on other channels while listening to your current channel (like you can with the sky-fi)? Or do you have to tune a channel to see what's on?

(2) While surfing, how much info does the in-dash screen give you? Just title and artist? Station and category also?

(3) can you use the steering wheel buttons to chanel surf on XM? I think the steering wheel buttons only control the presets, but I assume you can use the presets for XM channels, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help. I have 73 mile commute each way, so XM is what keeps me sane!

·
Registered
275 Posts
1.) You can only see what you are listening to. No previewing. :-(

2.) It shows Station Number, Station Name, Artist and Song Title. It can also show them all at the same time.

3.) You can only navigate the presets with the steering wheel controls, but you can use all 18 for SAT if you want.

·
4,664 Posts
To further elaborate...

- The presets are in 3 groups of 6, so you have to flip to a different group to run through those 6.

- If you press and hold the channel button on the steering wheel, it jumps to the next category. While this seems useful, as soon as you use the button normally, it flips to the next preset. So you can change categories, but you still have to reach over to the radio to change the channel within that category. You get the first channel in that category, for the direction you are going. If going backwards, you get the last channel in the category.

- You can see artist, channel number and name and song title at the same time, on the monochrome display only. The colour display shows only one thing at a time.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thank you all for the quick and helpful replies. I think I've decided on the Murano (over an MDX), and also on the integrated unit. While I'll miss the surfing capability of the sky-fi, all-in-all I'd rather not ruin the look of the dash with a bolted on sky-fi (and associated wires). I assume I'll also get an upgrade on the sound quality (versus the cassette adapter I'm currently using on my sky fi).

Thanks again

·
Registered
163 Posts
oh man! over an MDX? haha... I have both and you can't go wrong with either! Good choice either way! I have the best of both worlds! :2:

·
4,664 Posts
Oh yeah, the sound's definately better than a cassette adapter or an FM modulator.

If you get the Murano, it's Japanese built. If you get the MDX, it's Canadian built (eh!). I had to visit the plant where they make the MDX to show them some electronic test tools. I got some interesting stares, well, I should say the Murano did... I was surprised to learn they even build the MDX's that are sold in Japan! I guess that's better than taking the ships back to Japan empty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts