Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have currently purchased a set of sun visor lcd screens to replace my original ones. anyone know where i can connect the power supply line for my screens to a 12v power supply in my car?

and another question is, anyone know how i can uninstall the oem sun visors and take off the ceiling fabrics of the murano?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
virux said:
no1's able to help?
I'm not sure what it is your hooking up, but, if it's a device on or near you sun visor, do a search on the boards for radar detector.

Several folks around here have permanently wired their radar detectors through the wiring in the rear view mirror.

Not me though, I never speed....:runaway:

Good luck.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Power is available behind the vanity mirror. Don't know how to remove the notices on the visors or how to remove the visor without marks. GRIP :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im trying to remove my sun visors.. and replace it with another pair of sunvisors with tv screens in them.

so the 12v power supply is to be used as the same in the radar detector thread right?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I believe that is against the law in a lot of places.
Example: If you are involved in a accident with a tv screen in view of the driver, in addition to the expensive ticket, your insurance company may not pay, and your policy could be cancelled.

That rant aside, these screens may require more power than is available up there. You may have to add a new fused feed from the battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you need to know how many amps of current each screen requires in order to operate. You don't want to overload the circuit that you are putting them on and fry something in your nice new car. BTW, are the visors a direct replacement for the ones in the Murano? If not, you may find that replacing them is not as simple as just taking the old ones out and screwing in the new ones. You may also just want to check into what ekaxel said about the legality of having screens where you can see them. It seems that lots of states (and insurance companies) are starting to write into law things that make "driver visible" screens illegal. Good luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jewellboy said:
you need to know how many amps of current each screen requires in order to operate. You don't want to overload the circuit that you are putting them on and fry something in your nice new car. BTW, are the visors a direct replacement for the ones in the Murano? If not, you may find that replacing them is not as simple as just taking the old ones out and screwing in the new ones. You may also just want to check into what ekaxel said about the legality of having screens where you can see them. It seems that lots of states (and insurance companies) are starting to write into law things that make "driver visible" screens illegal. Good luck!
well the screens are folded when driving.. they are only taken out when i am not driving. There is no point in watching video while driving.

well all i know is that the screen has something that says +12V in it.
and i don't know if that is good enough to power up the screens.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the screens consumptions is 8W & it needs a +12V power supply.

any input is well needed..

Thanks

·
5,100 Posts
OK Watts equal volts multiplied by amps. So 8 watts Equals 12 volts times 2/3 of an amp. each. Since the vanity lamps draw about this same Amps you are probably good just the way the standard fuse is. GRIP :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so that means that i could tap my black(gnd) and red(12v) wire to any lights and it'll power it right?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Right. Just make sure the visors are direct replacement, i.e. mount exactly the same as the original ones. BTW, how are you going to feed the video?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
zebelkhan said:
Right. Just make sure the visors are direct replacement, i.e. mount exactly the same as the original ones. BTW, how are you going to feed the video?
ah i see..
here's the thing... the visor power connector has a yellow and black line i think.. which is not red and black..
which line is the power supply and which one is the ground?

im going to put a ps2 slimmer in the car ;)

to play games actually ;)

anyways.. thanks for the help man!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have checked out the radar detector installation thread and have noticed that the black(gnd) and red(+12V) is tapped into the yellow wire only am i correct? if that is the case then i'd have to buy a wire tapper and just tap the yellow wire and see if it will power it.

people that had installed the radar detector, please explain thoroughly to me if you only tapped the red & black wire to the yellow wire only.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
virux said:
i have checked out the radar detector installation thread and have noticed that the black(gnd) and red(+12V) is tapped into the yellow wire only am i correct? if that is the case then i'd have to buy a wire tapper and just tap the yellow wire and see if it will power it.

people that had installed the radar detector, please explain thoroughly to me if you only tapped the red & black wire to the yellow wire only.

Thanks!
I commend you for wanting to do this, at the same time it seems (from your questions) that you have no electrical knowledge. If I were you, I would not attempt this at all. If you insist however, then remember the basic rule: Positive goes to positive and negative goes to negative. Get a tester and if the yellow wire is positive, then connect the red one to it. Do not connect the black wire to the yellow as it will damage your unit. Test the balck, if it is not positive, then connect it to the black wire in your unit. Good luck!

·
5,100 Posts
I agree don's take a chance at fouling up your screens or MO. Go t a Pro. Have hime at least do the passenger side and then you can duplicate on the other. GRIP :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts