Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the mo is in for it's 3rd alternator and the service advisor says the tech said the accessory belts are dried and cracked would i like them to change them for $120, this doesn't seem right. there's no reason belts should be bad at 33k , they're not even supposed to check them until 60k

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
you are correct, belts usually last at least 60k miles, at least in everything I have owned.
It's hard to imagine they would add the labor to changing the belts considering they have them off already to change your altenator.
It should be the cost of the belts which should be around $40 at the dealer, $20 at the parts store.

They quoted me the same thing for changing the serpentines on my wife's car, I said No Thanks. $17 and an hour later, I had them changed myself.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The tech shouldn't even charge you labor for the alternator belt - it needs to be taken off for the alternator replacement anyways! What a rip off!

The two accessory belts on the Murano cost around $15-20 each. Both take less than an hour total to replace, and half of that should have included in the alternator replacement labor (which should be covered under warranty at 33k miles).

33k is too soon for the belt to wear, but if you had a bad alternator bearing or idler tension pulley it could cause the belt to wear unevenly. Still should be covered under warranty though, as I wouldn't consider the belt a "wear item" that normally wears out within the bumper to bumper warranty (like for example, a brake pad or light bulb could).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts