Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
The Bridgestones that came on my '18 Platinum are horrible! Nissan should be sued for putting them on the car, and Bridgestone should be sued for making them. It's a shame that I'm going to have to spend $1,000 to replace tires that are basically new. Very disconcerting.

I just replaced the Continentals on my ‘18 with 3,000 miles on them. It’s almost as if tire makers are making OEM for car makers that are lesser quality.

@Robotazky

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just replaced the Continentals on my ‘18 with 3,000 miles on them. It’s almost as if tire makers are making OEM for car makers that are lesser quality.

@Robotazky

You're absolutely right! In the past 20 years, I've had 7 new vehicles and I changed the tires for better ones soon after; they were either loud and stiff or had poor traction. Only my current vehicle still has its OEM rubber as I don't drive much anymore. Some Lexus RX350 and Cadillac XT5 come with Michelin Premier LTX, an exception to the rule...

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're absolutely right! In the past 20 years, I've had 7 new vehicles and I changed the tires for better ones soon after; they were either loud and stiff or had poor traction. Only my current vehicle still has its OEM rubber as I don't drive much anymore. Some Lexus RX350 and Cadillac XT5 come with Michelin Premier LTX, an exception to the rule...
Exactly right. Manufacturers are looking for the lowest cost tires that meet minimum standards for the OEM. Our 13 Edge came with Michelins. We replaced them with Michelins at 65,000 and sold the vehicle with the second set on at 110,000 with plenty of tread left. That is the way tires should perform!

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. I like the twisties and think cornering is much of the fun of driving. I also consider tires to be expendable. I'd rather compromise on time mileage and have tires that like cornering and provide good traction on wet roads. Both of those characteristics tend to come with a bit softer rubber. If I get 40K out of tires on a vehicle like a Murano or Grand Cherokee I'm happy. Of course, highway miles are easier on tires than twisty road driving, so it depends on what route you drive as well.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. I like the twisties and think cornering is much of the fun of driving. I also consider tires to be expendable. I'd rather compromise on time mileage and have tires that like cornering and provide good traction on wet roads. Both of those characteristics tend to come with a bit softer rubber. If I get 40K out of tires on a vehicle like a Murano or Grand Cherokee I'm happy. Of course, highway miles are easier on tires than twisty road driving, so it depends on what route you drive as well.

Same here. If you want the best handling, I recommend Michelin Premier LTX. If you want taller tread, Defender LTX.

@Robotazky

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed. I'm a flat-lander and mileage and wet traction are most important to me, followed by snow traction. There's a reason companies make so many types of tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep in mind, if you have AWD, and get more than 3-5k on new tires, and you get a blowout in any tire, or a screw anywhere except the middle tread, on any tire, or you get a bolt in a tire that cannot be fixed, you will need to replace all four tires. AWD systems have to have the same tread amount or really close on all four tires, or it can harm the AWD. What sucks even more is that even if you get a nail in the sidewall or even in the outer edge of the tread, tire shops won't fix it due to it "damaging the stability of the tire", which is debatable when the puncture is in the outer tread portion, but not so debatable on the sidewall.

That being said, expensive $1000 tires that are meant to be an investment over 4 years or so, can turn into a sudden $1000 emergency bill from a tire place. This is one of the very few times I would say buy the tire warranty, and make sure it covers this kind of situation.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts