Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to invest in new tires for my aging Murano and I wanted to know what is the largest and best tires to put on this car? I don't want to put stock tires back on it and I was hoping to get something that doesn't require investing in new rims. If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be awesome!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Zanter-

First question - Where do you live? In other words, is snow a factor?

-njjoe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the midwest, so we would normally get tons of snow in the winter. It's a full four seasons life here :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Since snow is a factor, the recommendations would be either Michelin CrossTerrain in the stock size or Yokohama Geolandar G052's in 265/60/18. Both are very good all season tires. The Goodyear has a bias in comfort and ride quality (its S-rated to 112mph, lower than the stock Goodyear's T-rated 118mph). The Yokos have a bias in handling (H-rated to 130mph).

Its up to you, but try to stick to tried and true sizes, like either stock 235/65/18 or the slightly larger 265/60/18. 255/60/18 would be perfect, but there aren't many choices in that range that wouldn't be a compromise.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
if your goin all season, go with the yoko's. many say good things about them. a friend has the cross terrains on his mdx and he likes them in the winter also.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Zanter-

As you are finding out, the selection of replacement tires for the Murano is very limited. Not too long ago even the OEM Goodyears were hard to come by. I am sure that as the MO population increases more tire manufacturers will see the market and provide us with alternatives to the OEM skins. Unfortunately that doesn't help you now.

-njjoe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I guess my best bet is going with the Yokohama Geolandar HTS 265/60/18 right now. How much bigger are these from the stock tires?

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is a good tire calculator

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

GY vs Yoko's
Sidewall 6.0 6.3
Radius 15.0 15.3
Diam 30.0 30.5
Circum 94.3 95.9
Revs 672 661
With non-stock tire 1.5% too slow, when reading 60 going 61 mph

·
Registered
389 Posts
You can just plug in this formula into Excel and it'll give you the diameter of the tire:

=((((235/25.4)*(65/100))*2)+18)

Basically:

235/25.4 = inches width of the tire. 235 mm is stock width
65/100 = 65% - or the aspect ratio of the tire
*2 = you have to add sidewall height twice to get total diameter
+18 = wheel diameter

If you plug this into excel (but replace 235, 65 and 18 with cell references), you can calculate all sorts of tire diameters. Then divide your new tire diamter by the original diameter to get the % variance (difference) in height. This will give you the % you will be "off" on the speedometer.

Bob

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Mr3Putt said:
Is the Murano the only car that uses 235/65/18 as it's standard tire?
Yes.

-njjoe

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's the % difference in circumferance that'll give you the speedo error, not diameter.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Actually since diameter is directly proportional to circumference (pi*D), either number can used to estimate speedometer error.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Eric L. said:
Actually since diameter is directly proportional to circumference (pi*D), either number can used to estimate speedometer error.
Only if you are talking about the outside diameter, not inside.....:D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Only if you are talking about the outside diameter, not inside.....:D
Hehehe it will always be 18" on the inside. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
tires for aging Murano

I have said it before and I still love my Toyo Proxes ST's. They don't have an overly aggressive tread pattern,( which would be best for off-road), but are for the highway and they handle nicely and gas mileage is not affected, that I have discerned. You will not go wrong with these tires. :4::4: Darrell.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Eric L. said:

Hehehe it will always be 18" on the inside. :D
What, are you guys a bunch of comedians? :p

Eric is right... either calculation (diameter or circumference) will yield the same % error. The only difference is that you're introducing Pi (3.1415926) to the equation, but since Pi is a constant for calculation of both tire sizes, it can be left out of the equation and still yield the same % error result. (This, of course, excludes rounding errors of Pi.)

I actually like the looks of the Avon S/T in 265/60-18 size. I think that will be the next tire for my MO when the stock Eagle LS wears out.

Bob

·
Registered
828 Posts
Re: tires for aging Murano

While I don't have, I like the Toyo Proxes too. Any use in snow?

dborla01 said:
I have said it before and I still love my Toyo Proxes ST's. They don't have an overly aggressive tread pattern,( which would be best for off-road), but are for the highway and they handle nicely and gas mileage is not affected, that I have discerned. You will not go wrong with these tires. :4::4: Darrell.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mr3Putt said:
Is the Murano the only car that uses 235/65/18 as it's standard tire?
Not any more. It's now the standard tire size when you get 18" rims on the 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and Limited trim levels (they use the Michelin Cross Terrain).

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/explorer/features/

Sharing this tire size with the best-selling SUV should help a bunch with availability and manufacturer options.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts