Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I very interested in buying a Murano (in a couple of days). Please tell me the main reason you bought a Murano (instead of Infinity FX35, BMW X3, Honda Pilot, 4Runner, Pathfinder etc). Thanks!:)

·
Registered
842 Posts
The reason I bought my Mo was after I looked at a Honda Pilot and a Toyota Highlander. The Pilot was too big for what I was looking for and did not have a sunroof option, my wife really did not like the way it looked and she felt like it she was driving a tank in it.

The Toyota Highlander was a better vehicle but it was over priced, it had less standard features that the MO, unless you upgraded to the Limited model for $7000 more, then you were getting the options that seem to be standard in the MO.

I did alot of reasearch on all three vehicles that lasted almost a year and I think that the CVT and the way the MO rode was the deciding factor. As an engineer the CVT looks like that it will become the transmission of the future for most vehicles. I do love getting 32 MPG (imperial gallon) on the highway and the pick up is fantastic.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
looks
agility
the feel of the interior
smooth power

The others seemed like a truck, if I wanted a truck I would buy one.
I think the Murano is all to it's own on so many things it is beyond comparison. The engine is proven.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
How do i love the murano...

I love my murano because of it looks,
then its :
- cvt
- 245 hp VQ V6 engine and 245 lbs of tourgue
- the vq engine, an engineering marvel.
- good japanese car quality (previous cars all had been euro)
- car like handling (murano is my first suv and i dont particularly like suvs).
- i dont want to spent as much as $40K for a comparably equiped RX330.
- i need an suv that is not too expensive to maintain, X5 rides nice but a bmw commonly require more $$$ in maintenance.
- priced right *even* with the options i wanted
- 18 inch wheels.
- unique, unlike hilander or pilot in which you disappear in the crowds
- head turning effects, X5 is NICE but murano is cute :)
- SAT radio
- salesmanagers and the dealer treated me right (unlike snobbish Toyotas')
- my gf likes the look of murano
- my gf hates the look of hilander and pilot
- the insurance premium quote is the among the cheapest(compare to infinity, x5, lexus)

< ABOVE ARE LISTED IN ORDER>
:2:

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Plain and simple: the feature list could not be matched for even close to the same price.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My standard cut-n-paste reply. From someone else but seems to fit the bill.

From an unknown consumer

I remember going though the same decision process a last month, and although I have to admit that I prefer the front end of the FX cars better, here are the things that ultimately made me a choose the MO over FX35 (after extensive driving of each):

1) (All of the above)

2) Control cluster - the MO is easier, more intuitive (dials instead of push buttons), and just better looking. Play around with each for a few minutes and you'll know what I mean.

3) Interior space - despite the fact that the FX is a larger vehicle - 1 1/2 inches longer and wider - it has almost 20 ft less cargo space and I felt genuinely cramped in the front seat.

4) Manueverabilty - maybe it's the slightly smaller size, maybe it's the slightly higher seating position, maybe it's the better visibility out the windows, or maybe it just boils down to the fact that the MO has a 1.3 foot smaller turning circle, but I found that MO easier to negotiate through parking lots and park than its more expensive sibling.

5) Driving experience - I found both cars fun to drive and sling around corners, but my butt dynos seemed to register better acceleration in the MO than they did in the FX35 despite the FX's 35 hp advantage and shiftable automatic. Maybe this is a factor of the CVT, or just that fact that the MO weighs over 240 lbs less than the FX35. I don't think I'm the only one that feels this way, as I've noticed that Nissan is conspicuosly absent in providing the 0-60 times for the FX35 (maybe cause they're the same or worse than their own MO?) Plus I just found the MO felt more responsive and had better road feel -- Although I should admit I was comparing a MO SE with an FX35 equiped with the 18" wheels. I'm sure I would have felt differently had I tested the FX45, but then there would have been even more incentive for me to consider the last factor that swayed my decision...

6) Gas mileage - both take premium unleaded, so no winner there, but when you look at the rest of the stats:

Fuel Tank Capacity:
Murano 21.7 gal
FX35 23.8 gal

EPA Mileage Estimates (City/Highway)
Murano 20mpg/24 mpg
FX35 16mpg/22 mpg.

Range in Miles (City/Highway)
Murano 434 mi./521 mi.
FX35 381 mi./524 mi.

... Costs less to fill up, costs less to drive -- Thats why I'm now driving a Silver/charcoal Murano SE AWD to work everyday...

Another comments:

Get the spec's on both models, compare them, you'll see they're basically the same. Look at the room in the back seat...The Murano wins here. Think about front wheel vs rear wheel drive in the snow. The Murano wins. Drive the cars. The Murano with CVT wins. (Very peppy with IMMEDIATE response.) The suspensions on both cars are great,and very sporty, but I feel the Murano with SE suspension is perfect, the FX-35 with low profile tires is a little harsh (when in contact with pot holes). Looks...Murano wins. Price...Murano wins. Status...You need to buy the FX-45 if status is important.

MOre room
MOre smooth driving
MOre better looks
MOre $$$ in your bank account after the purchace

·
Registered
44 Posts
My wife has back problems and we sat in over 80 different vehicles before test driving the Murano. I never thought I was going to be a SUV kinda guy, but....

The combination of seat adjustment for the passenger as well as the flatness of the floor area were key points, as well as the adjustable gas/brake pedal feature.

We were looking for a road trip vehicle and the Murano has filled that splendidly - this is the first that she has been able to fall asleep without pain and discomfort in the passenger seating position.

Mileage on the highway (routinely 22-24 with keeping up with the flow of traffic in California), stability, comfort (trips to Spokane WA, Portland OR, and San Diego CA), and decent (but not extraordinary) cargo capability (with the rear seats down, and Yakima Space Cadet roof box) have made us happy...:) .

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Pound for pound, feature for feature, you get more for your bucks with the Murano versus any of the others you listed. In addition, the ride of the Murano is very sporty - some call it harsh. Frankly, to me, it means the vehicle handles better and gives more feedback to the driver.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
Z_owner_needs_M said:
I very interested in buying a Murano (in a couple of days). Please tell me the main reason you bought a Murano (instead of Infinity FX35, BMW X3, Honda Pilot, 4Runner, Pathfinder etc). Thanks!:)
FX35 - Similar to the Murano - Too expensive when equiped nicely.
BMW X3 - haha
Honda Pilot - Too Big, Too Boring
4Runner - Nice SUV - Price is a little steep for the Limited
Pathfinder - No thanks

When you sit back and look at everything you can get on the Murano for under $35k it pretty much makes the choice easy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Didn't drive the FX due to price and the thought that something that's primarely RWD probably isn't the best bet for Minnesota:

My finalists were:

Honda Pilot: Didn't choose it because: ugly styling (refrigerator box with wheels), spartan interior, no factory sunroof

Toyota Highlander: I liked it a lot, very smooth ride (which I like, I spend a lot of time highway cruising) and Toyota reputation for quality build, but downsides for me were that I couldnt' get in-dash XM satellite radio, smaller gas tank (I drive 500-600 miles/week, so the extra fillups add up) and plain jane styling. Two weeks after buying my Murano we ordered a Sienna minivan, so Toyota did get my bucks.

Acura MDX: The one I came the closest to buying. Nice smooth ride, luxurious cabin. What ultimately swayed me was the higher price (to get the same options I had to get the top of the line MDX, which was about 5k more than the loaded Murano SL), had similar concerns about the boxy styling, smaller gas tank, and lack of in-dash XM. Ultimately I think I just wanted the coolest looking SUV around, which the Murano is IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Z_owner_needs_M said:
FX35: Too expensive for what it has, ONLY comes with leather interior (we want cloth)

X3: Too expensive for very few features, but DID like the oversized sunroof. Paying a lot for the name. MUCH less cargo room.

Pilot: Way to frickin' big for my tastes (but I do like Hondas, I've owned 3)

4-Runner: Very truck-like, ride is very rough and bouncy.

One of the big factors that I'm choosing the MO over any of the other vehicles I've looked at is the CVT. I hate how "normal" automatics shift (I've always driven manuals). The CVT is so smooth that you NEVER get the jerks of shifting (unless you are jumping off the line, but then it would be intentional).

Another big factor is the handling. After owning 3 small cars, I like vehicles that are nimble and secure on the road. I'm very impressed with the handling of the MO.

Thirdly, the interior layout is very nice. Comfortable, nicely designed, everything where it should be (for the most part).

(now if I could just get off my fat ass and go get one...)

~ Corin

·
Registered
828 Posts
WOW!

We're a Sienna/Muranno family too.

danielg280 said:
Didn't drive the FX due to price and the thought that something that's primarely RWD probably isn't the best bet for Minnesota:

My finalists were:

Honda Pilot: Didn't choose it because: ugly styling (refrigerator box with wheels), spartan interior, no factory sunroof

Toyota Highlander: I liked it a lot, very smooth ride (which I like, I spend a lot of time highway cruising) and Toyota reputation for quality build, but downsides for me were that I couldnt' get in-dash XM satellite radio, smaller gas tank (I drive 500-600 miles/week, so the extra fillups add up) and plain jane styling. Two weeks after buying my Murano we ordered a Sienna minivan, so Toyota did get my bucks.

Acura MDX: The one I came the closest to buying. Nice smooth ride, luxurious cabin. What ultimately swayed me was the higher price (to get the same options I had to get the top of the line MDX, which was about 5k more than the loaded Murano SL), had similar concerns about the boxy styling, smaller gas tank, and lack of in-dash XM. Ultimately I think I just wanted the coolest looking SUV around, which the Murano is IMHO.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
It is not quite fair to compare the Murano against the luxury makes from Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, and BMW since they do not compete directly the Murano. The Murano is a midsized crossover designed to compete with Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot.

My main reasons for choosing the Murano over Pilot and Highlander.

1) VQ engine - had a 97 Maxima, loved the engine, wanted more of the same
2) Handling (went with the SE)
3) Style - looks like something from a sci fi movie
4) Safety (Highlander does not have HID and the Pilot has almost no advanced safety features - no side curtains, no brake assist, no stability control)
5) Comfortable interior - nice front seats

However, among the luxury models you mentioned, the X5 handles better but has a smaller interior. The FX35 also handles better and has a more powerful engine, but it also makes rather inefficient use of interior space (10 fewer cubic feet, but 2 inches longer). The Lexus has the classiest interior of the bunch but its not particularly athletic. The MDX has performance similar to a Pilot.

The Murano, in my opinion, is the best compromise between performance, interior room, and style.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Murano/Sienna

Dmako:

How do you like the Sienna? We bought one the dealer had already ordered and it's supposed to be here in 10 days. I won't hold my breath, since my Murano was a month late. It was kind of depressing paying so close to sticker after getting the Murano at invoice, but I guess that's the price of buying a popular vehicle.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Re: Murano/Sienna

We like the Sienna it great for hauling things such as my dogs much easier than the MO. Also we have a 2002 Sienna so it's the old style now.

danielg280 said:
Dmako:

How do you like the Sienna? We bought one the dealer had already ordered and it's supposed to be here in 10 days. I won't hold my breath, since my Murano was a month late. It was kind of depressing paying so close to sticker after getting the Murano at invoice, but I guess that's the price of buying a popular vehicle.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I very interested in buying a Murano (in a couple of days). Please tell me the main reason you bought a Murano (instead of Infinity FX35, BMW X3, Honda Pilot, 4Runner, Pathfinder etc). Thanks!
Murano - Great looks, sporty athletic handling, good gas Mileage, very roomy inside, great price to options ratio.

FX35 - Harsher ride (some like,some don't), less interior room, more expensive for same engine (albeit 35 more HP). Like the looks though.

BMW X3 - based on the reviews I read and watched, Very Harsh ride, Interior materials look cheap for price of vehicle. More expensive.

Pilot - Too boxy looking. I'm sure it's a wonderful vehicle but it was just way too bland for me.

Highlander - Ditto the Pilot explanation.

4Runner - Can get very pricey, good looking (in a macho kind of way), for me not the family vehicle of choice due to truck based body and handling.

·
Registered
828 Posts
If your tall (long legs) forget the 4-Runner.

I really wanted to get the 4-runner, but since it's a frame based vehicle they made the cabin area short since it sits on a frame and there is NO height between the floor and the seats. Very uncomfotable.

The Murano is designed very well for tall people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.