Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was between Huffman in Louisville and Bales in Jeffersonville, IN (10 minutes apart). Both offered dealer invoice on an SL AWD - loaded.

I bought from Huffman (KY) because the salesman assured me 3 times that they would be paying the state excise tax on my vehicle for the first year. For those of you not from around here that's about $350 in Indiana - where I live. I thought this was strange and hardly believeable, so I asked him over and over and he assured me that this was the case.

When the saleman came to the BMV to pay the IN taxes he did not pay the excise tax. He played stupid and called the dealership and the dealership nearly laughed him off the phone. Of course, they have never paid excise tax before and never will.

This is probably true, but the dealership should make good on this promise. I was thoroughly ignored for over 2 weeks until I called the salesman on his cell phone.

Long story short - I was irritated and he told me to relax and enjoy my Murano. He said that $350 should be nothing to a guy who just bought a $31,000 Murano and that an intelligent person wouldn't be upset about this since I would have paid the tax wherever I bought the car. :3:

Now it's about principle, not the money. If he told me that he would paint it red, white, and blue then he should make good on his promise. He claims it was an honest mistake.....please. I asked him too many times for that.

Still love the Murano though.....too bad I had to have this experience to get my vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tell people who treat me this way that I have a BIG MOUTH and know LOTS OF PEOPLE. If you talk one person out of buying from that dealership they've lost more than $350.00

I wasn't thrilled with my dealer, either. They made a few promises that they didn't keep, and told me repeatedly that the only thing I had to do to get SAT radio was sign up! People who ask me about my MO (which happens all the time) get an earfull about how great the car is, but how sleazy our local dealership is.

I did end up getting my MO a little above invoice, so I leave it at that and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me, I'm not done. I told them that I would make it worth their $350.00. I got Nissan customer service involved. They couldn't do anything, but at least someone at corporate knows.

I also put down several comments on the survey that they seem so concerned about when you buy your car.

I'm in the process of drafting a letter that I will send out to anyone who will listen. I may consider sending that to the Better Business Bureau as well.

After that - I'm done. The more I mess with this the madder I get. I don't want it to taint my experience to the point where I hate my car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Long story short - I was irritated and he told me to relax and enjoy my Murano. He said that $350 should be nothing to a guy who just bought a $31,000 Murano and that an intelligent person wouldn't be upset about this since I would have paid the tax wherever I bought the car.
People do make mistakes, and one could be more forgiving if he had eaten humble pie and offered ways to make up for it (accessory, free oilchanges, carwashes etc).

Instead, he not only neglected the issue, he insulted you on top of it all! There is no excuse for behavior such as this. It speaks of the salesman's shortcomings and inmaturity and just plain bad business sense.

It looks like you have made your point with them, and like you mentioned, will soon leave it at that. Remember that people like him will continue to create their own hell. (the law of karma is basically the law of cause and effect). There is nothing you have to do.

You don't deserve to be dragged into his world of inadequacy. So good for you for holding them accountable for their actions, then turn your back and leave them in their own mess they will continue to create!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update 8/22/03:

I was contacted by the Office Manager at Huffman yesterday. Evidently, the General Manager asked him to look into this situation. Contrary to what the sales guy told me, the General Manager was never informed of this issue nor did he make the decision to ignore my complaints. (Frankly, I'm not sure what to believe, but I'm sure my letter that I included in my Nissan survey along with the "poor" marks that I gave them prompted this response.)

The Office Manager (the first phone call that I EVER received from the dealership) listened attentively and told me that he completely understands my point. He said that he is going to recommend to the General Manager that they rectify the situation in some form or fashion.

He was pleasant, sympathetic, and understanding - which is all I ever really wanted.

I'll keep you informed......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Final Update 8/25/03:

The sales guy has never denied to me through this whole process that he did indeed tell me false information - he just said that he did so accidentally. Now, he has told the Gen Mgr that he never told me that they would pay the excise tax. :3:

Conveniently for the dealership, since I didn't have them put this in writing when the deal was signed it's my word against the salesmans.

I explained to the Office Mgr that he had a liar amongst his staff and that this individual has tainted my experience and that it is a shame that I wouldn't recommend his dealership based on this lying piece of crap.

After much deliberation and a respectable converation (seriously), the Office Mgr gave me an additional years worth of free maintenance on top of the one year that came free with the car. It's not exactly what I was after, but the jesture is enough for me. At least now I feel like the dealership is admitting that I was wronged. At least they did something to attempt to rectify the situation......which I think they have.

Situation closed.....finally. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts