Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the murano even have one? My wife's car wouldn't crank over until I
jiggled the shifter, then it started right up. I can't find reference to one.
If this is not the problem then would the shifter be needing adjustment?

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
I think the answer is yes to both.

1) Yes, it has a neutral safety switch in the shifter mechanism.
2) Yes, the shifter or the switch needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I subscribed to repairsurge.com. The Chilton manual is too vague too often. Thanks for the linkMuranosl2003. I'm just not looking forward to any possibilities of needing to remove the consul.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I go to adjust the shifter and notice when I open the door of the car there are no courtesy lights. I put the key in and turn to on position
and no lights or sounds,as if there was no battery in the car. I tried starting but still dead. I fiddled with the shifter but nothing.
The battery is fully charged and staying charged. All the fuses checked out but the car is totally dead. Any ideas? I did clean the battery connections.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Did you check the main fuse, the one that's attached to the positive battery terminal?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes I did.
You went from a buggy park-neutral position switch to apparently no electrical power. What specifically did you do to the car in between?

Also, there are five high-current fuses on the fusible link and blowing any of them will disable large sections of various circuits in the car. Did you check every fuse or just the one on the top? If you can't get a good look at the others then I would suggest removing it so you can inspect it closely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help. The only fuses I didn't check are the fusible links.
Today I got in the car and put the key in and the dash lighted up like normal and when I hit the starter there was a buzzy sound and a snap then dead.
I don't know if there is any connection but March 6th the Nissan dealer replaced what they called the fuel sensor. The car ran sweet till last week Tuesday.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sure sounds like a symptoms of a marginal battery... Or possibly your starter shorting out based on your snap comment, check to be sure its connections are clean and tight...

I know you mentioned you felt your battery is charged, did you charge it? What does the voltage look like after sitting for a few hours after charging?

How old is your battery? Have you had it load tested?

Also check your alternator. It should be putting out over 14 volts just after a cold start.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks for the help. The only fuses I didn't check are the fusible links.
Today I got in the car and put the key in and the dash lighted up like normal and when I hit the starter there was a buzzy sound and a snap then dead.
I don't know if there is any connection but March 6th the Nissan dealer replaced what they called the fuel sensor. The car ran sweet till last week Tuesday.
Likely problem with the battery. Do the tests MuranoSL2003 suggested.

Air/fuel sensor is not related to this problem; however, it is always a good idea to be up front with any recent repairs or maintenance done to the car when asking for help because something you may not think is relevant to your current problem may actually be relevant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Murano, the battery is only 1 month old. It has not been losing charge and staying at 12.7-12.5.
Right now I can't get to the starter or alternator due to injuries. I'm going to have my son in law do these when he's done with his car.
Coffee, I didn't think sensor had any thing to do with this either. I just put it out there to add info.
So much to do on this car. Power steering lines, new right front door solenoid, right side fog light, lube the back hatch latch lever, tie rod end, and driver seat bracket.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Murano, the battery is only 1 month old. It has not been losing charge and staying at 12.7-12.5.
Right now I can't get to the starter or alternator due to injuries. I'm going to have my son in law do these when he's done with his car.
Coffee, I didn't think sensor had any thing to do with this either. I just put it out there to add info.
So much to do on this car. Power steering lines, new right front door solenoid, right side fog light, lube the back hatch latch lever, tie rod end, and driver seat bracket.
Also, check the ground strap that runs from the negative battery terminal to underneath the battery tray. It could be badly corroded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the murano even have one? My wife's car wouldn't crank over until I
jiggled the shifter, then it started right up. I can't find reference to one.
If this is not the problem then would the shifter be needing adjustment?
Every vehicle has one installed, so you cant start the car in park, its on top of the cvt,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update. Thanks for all the help. The whole issue was poor positive and negative connections.
I cleaned and secured both the battery ground cable connections and the connections on the positive battery terminal
along with fusible link box connected to it. The car starts every time and runs beautifully Thanks again you guys..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts