Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 3 weeks ago. 3 specific problems. 1 white smoke at start up lots. PVC vaulve has been replaced still smoking. There is a tube that is not connected under the hood. It's directly left to a tube labeled: 90A1C. Has previously been taped but not well. Tried to speed up last week and it felt like the car stalled. It is under warranty but, dealership isn't giving me any answers. I'm gong back tomorrow. Any advice on the tube, smoke and stall? The oil looks clean. Thanks for any help/advise?

·
Super Moderator
8,577 Posts
White smoke is usually coolant leaking into the cylinders. Make sure you don't have a head gasket problem. Check the dipstick after running the engine; if it looks like chocolate milk or a milk shake there's coolant in the oil. If in doubt, you can have the dealer do a radiator leak-down test. If the cooling system doesn't hold pressure for a few hours during the test, you have a leak somewhere.

Can't help you with the tube. If you can find another 2016 Murano pop the hoods and compare. BUT - it's definitely not right. The dealer should simply take in and fix it, no excuses.

Stall may be related to the loose tube, since a vacuum leak will cause driveability problems...and an open tube can be a big vacuum leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't thank you enough for the insight! Full disclosure, it is actually my friend's car and she is taking it into the dealer tomorrow I know vintage cars but I know nothing about new cars I did have her start the engine run it all the white smoke ran out and then after about three to five minutes she shut the engine off and I checked the oil it looked clean and clear. Previously before the start of the car I did notice that tube next to the one I said in the post. Was not connected at all I am going to share this page with her and have her be prepared when she goes to the dealership tomorrow. Again and again and again thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
8,577 Posts
Smoke color is highly subjective. White smoke is usually coolant. Black is excess gasoline. Blue is oil.

How you perceive these things is variable, but that's the general guide.

White smoke might be caused by a small head gasket leak; as the engine cools and the metal contracts, coolant may seep through the head gasket fault into the cylinders. When it's started the engine will vaporize the coolant, causing white smoke. After the water/coolant in the cylinders is gone, the smoke can disappear.

This is not an easy thing to diagnose. A leak-down test is one option; it's done by removing the radiator or overflow coolant cap, pumping pressure into the cooling system, and letting the car sit for a few hours. If there is a leak in the cooling system, the pressure in the system will diminish over time. If not, the system should hold pressure overnight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts