·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2010 Mo' LE, CVT Auto, FWD
69 Posts
I can't wait to see the full detail of that 9 speed transmission.

·
Registered
2015 Murano Platinum blue/brown
17 Posts
That's the smartest thing I have read on this forum so far! Kudos to SL2003! 👍 Most people hate me for posting truth about the Murano or Nissan in general, which is fine. Facts don't care about feelings. Believe the hype they push out about the CVT or stick with reality and know they are poorly designed paperweights. Choice is yours.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I like the CVT, I bought the first Nissan to have one, a Murano. I've have had no issues with the CVT in my '03 and '19 over the 18 years I have been driving them. That doesn't mean I think it's perfect, but I don't think it's inherently unreliable...

However, I don't think a CVT is the best choice for a 4WD SUV or truck, especially for towing heavier loads... Only time will tell how reliable the 9-speed transmission will be in comparison...

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
That's the smartest thing I have read on this forum so far! Kudos to SL2003! 👍 Most people hate me for posting truth about the Murano or Nissan in general, which is fine. Facts don't care about feelings. Believe the hype they push out about the CVT or stick with reality and know they are poorly designed paperweights. Choice is yours.
The CVT in general is not a bad idea, and CVTs are not "paperweights." The Nissan CVT in the first series Murano was not one of the best, but remember that this car has sold in the hundreds of thousands. No one goes to a car forum to post about how wonderful their transmission is; they only do it if they have a problem. You can't estimate the number of failures from posts on this or any other forum.

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,258 Posts
This is the link to Jatco's press release for this transmission from last year: JATCO newly develops the JR913E 9-speed AT for RWD vehicles. It looks like it was initially put in the Titan and they've expanded it to other cars. I suspect this will continue.

In many ways, the CVT is an innovative design but I think this is a sign that its days are numbered. Designing new transmissions isn't cheap and Jatco wouldn't have done it just for a handful of new cars. There seem to be two major problems with the CVT that I see over the long term:

1. I think Nissan has concluded that the CVT has set a cap on the power output of the engine it's mated to and that ceiling appears to be in the neighborhood of 260 hp. It should be noted that the very first Nissan Murano had 245 hp 18 years ago? The VQ35DE is absolutely capable of putting out north of 300 hp (e.g. see the 370Z). Given that competitors are putting out V6 engines nearing 300 hp (some even have turbo 4 cylinders exceeding the Nissan V6), this will just become more of a problem as time goes by. Also, things like the low tow rating suggest that Nissan is not confident that the CVT can handle extra stress. If you read the reviews of the auto magazines, they'll say something like the Murano's performance is "pedestrian" but it's nice on long trips. Cosmetic enhancements and makeovers will only go so far...

2. Lawsuits, Lawsuits, lawsuits... Anyone who has been on these forums long enough can agree that earlier generations of the CVT had design flaws and Nissan has paid dearly for them in litigation. I blame Nissan management for that because they didn't do enough to push Jatco to fix the problems with the CVT soon enough (it took what, 10 years?) and they basically tried to sweep the problems under the rug and literally forced their customers to bring them to court to make things right. Nissan is still getting sued over the CVT and this has not only cost them a lot of money, it's also created a PR nightmare. The CVT (and Nissan) has a "reputation" now, and it isn't a good one.

I don't blame Nissan if they're now in the midst of trying to abandon the CVT, especially since they're under new management and the company is struggling to get out from under the shadow of the Carlos Ghosn years. Nissan may have made the calculation that they need something else to bridge the transition from gas to electric and perhaps this new 9-speed is it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts